Cliff B Tweaks PC Gamers Over MIA Bulletstorm Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Honestly, guys, it's weird. I know lots of people inside Epic who love the PC and were some of the same people who got us UDK (which certain people in Epic have been trying to get released for nearly a decade). I know there are people at Epic who are sick to their stomachs knowing that us UT fans are writing threads like this and posting these things in these threads. I don't doubt at all that Epic can make another awesome PC game if they decide to.

I just wish that "faction" inside Epic was more vocal about their support for us. I get that PCF did GFWL, but it would be nice to hear from Epic that Bulletstorm using GFWL (their second of three PC games to use it since 2006) is not an indicator of future PC middleware reliance. I still have hope that if they were to make another proper UT sequel they would be using Steamworks as the integration and taking the community features seriously. They can do it, the question is, will they?

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
I hate to say it but a lot of people here who are calling themselves PC gamers are really making themselves look like fools to the public eye since people do read this material and either report it back to places they work or they laugh at everyone throwing huge fits.

So what if Epic wants to go and change its main focus to console games. Let them do what they feel is necessary to thrive as a company and don't be so whiney that every stereotype about PC gamers looks more true. We need to look at ourselves a momment here.

All the whining is going to turn devs away from the focus on PC platform because devs wont want to put up with the headaches PC gamers tend to give them for not making them first. Don't be so freaking spoiled over all the tiny little things just because you can. If we want people to focus on PCs as a platform we have to be alittle more respectful instead of whine until people flee.

As for Cliffs comment on twitter. A lot of us PC gamers had it coming.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Oh it's quite clear that Epic is no longer the same company it used to be and far from it.
The thing is that they are not being honest about that change. To this day, they keep saying they make PC games.
The truth is, they stopped doing that a long time ago. None of Epic Game's most recent titles have been developed for the PC in the truest sense of the word. None.

The trash talking they get is the result of this dishonesty. There's nothing that we as gamers have to look at in ourselves. Au contraire, Epic's gotta do some introspection and truly come forth as to what they really are now.

As for myself, I'm perfectly fine with developers porting games from consoles to PC, as long as they aren't badly ported. Unfortunately Epic has had disputable success in that field. That's one thing I'm worried about with Bulletstorm. Nothing Epic has said and done regarding that game has reassured that at all, considering the dishonesty I mentioned. I don't trust them anymore myself.

And then there's this unprofessional comment by Cliff Bleszinski who gives us PC gamers **** for wanting a quality product at least correctly adapted to our platform. I'm sorry but that's just not acceptable, no matter how you look at it, especially from a company who still lies about being focused on PC.

No disrespect meant to those people at Epic still committed to the PC, but the outside picture is that the company as a whole isn't.

Last edited:

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
There are more then a few PC gamers that want royal treatment and so on and cry all about not being treated like a premier platform.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Try working for a company or the goverment and say things about it on twitter... you 'll be surprised how fast you will be thrown out
You mean like when our brand new state governor says "they can kiss my butt" in response to the NAACP complaining about him not making time for them on MLK day and not expect people to be irked about it?

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I hate to say it but a lot of people here who are calling themselves PC gamers are really making themselves look like fools to the public eye since people do read this material and either report it back to places they work or they laugh at everyone throwing huge fits.

So what if Epic wants to go and change its main focus to console games. Let them do what they feel is necessary to thrive as a company and don't be so whiney that every stereotype about PC gamers looks more true. We need to look at ourselves a momment here.

All the whining is going to turn devs away from the focus on PC platform because devs wont want to put up with the headaches PC gamers tend to give them for not making them first. Don't be so freaking spoiled over all the tiny little things just because you can. If we want people to focus on PCs as a platform we have to be alittle more respectful instead of whine until people flee.

As for Cliffs comment on twitter. A lot of us PC gamers had it coming.

There are more then a few PC gamers that want royal treatment and so on and cry all about not being treated like a premier platform.

I just orgasmed at these posts. Finally someone who gets it.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
What is the fuzz about?

It is a videogame, nothing more.

Ok, on PC side it is a bad one.

PC gamers are used to have having, demos, vs. multiplayer, free bonuspacks, and a lot more.

Bulletstorm won't have all that (it has GFWL instead) but costs a lot, so it is cleary a bad product compared to what was produced earlier.

Simple solution: Just don't buy it.

There are some companies out there who still deliver for the bucks they get. So, buy their games instead and support them.

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
What is the fuzz about?

It is a videogame, nothing more.

Ok, on PC side it is a bad one.

PC gamers are used to have having, demos, vs. multiplayer, free bonuspacks, and a lot more.

Bulletstorm won't have all that (it has GFWL instead) but costs a lot, so it is cleary a bad product compared to what was produced earlier.

Simple solution: Just don't buy it.

There are some companies out there who still deliver for the bucks they get. So, buy their games instead and support them.

You haven't played it yet to know if its good or bad that and who are you to say what Bulletstorm will or wont have and just for your information. Its standard price for all games released. You want a new game. you're forking 50 or 60 bucks.

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I'm going to pirate it 50 times, never play it, poop in my drive bay, and then mail my PC to Epic. That'll learn 'em.

Mia'cova

Oldskool Lurker
Jan 29, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
I meant "recently", cause at that time (2007) I think he was still trying to present himself as someone who cares about PC. It isn't until this article (2008) where his real persona is revealed, when he doesn't even bother to keep up the pretense anymore.

Well, maybe you're just not understanding me. When I said "there's just a lot of history with PC gaming being the premier platform for shooters," I wasn't talking about the current state of gaming. I was explaining that the transition to consoles being the main target platform happened YEARS ago. I was saying cliff's comment was in reference to something that was no longer under debate. It's a done deal. It's history. It's abundantly clear that the money is in console development.

Somehow trying to say his "real persona" only came out recently is stupid. As a person, he hasn't changed. He hasn't all of a sudden changed into a jackass because the realities of the industry have changed. When PCs and consoles were both viable, he was PC only. Now that consoles are the only way to go for triple-A shooters, he doesn't have a choice. Cliff makes blockbusters. That's his thing.

To anyone who expect him to "stay true" to the PC rather than his own personal interests and those of his company, you're the jackass...

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
You haven't played it yet to know if its good or bad that and who are you to say what Bulletstorm will or wont have and just for your information. Its standard price for all games released. You want a new game. you're forking 50 or 60 bucks.

This is information for me of game not released I can know if can me?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, maybe you're just not understanding me. When I said "there's just a lot of history with PC gaming being the premier platform for shooters," I wasn't talking about the current state of gaming. I was explaining that the transition to consoles being the main target platform happened YEARS ago. I was saying cliff's comment was in reference to something that was no longer under debate. It's a done deal. It's history. It's abundantly clear that the money is in console development.

Somehow trying to say his "real persona" only came out recently is stupid. As a person, he hasn't changed. He hasn't all of a sudden changed into a jackass because the realities of the industry have changed. When PCs and consoles were both viable, he was PC only. Now that consoles are the only way to go for triple-A shooters, he doesn't have a choice. Cliff makes blockbusters. That's his thing.

To anyone who expect him to "stay true" to the PC rather than his own personal interests and those of his company, you're the jackass...
To say this, though, is to ignore the fact that good games sell extremely well on PC still. Even bad games do (see: Blops).

Just because you can make MORE money on consoles doesn't mean you can't make tons of money on the PC. Look at the Minecraft guy. Look at any Valve game. Look at Blops. I could find other examples if I cared enough.

The problem tends to be that people DON'T "stay true" to the PC. And when I say that, I primarily mean they don't give PC the kind of TLC that the platform requires for a game to be considered "good". I don't think it requires that much extra effort to make HUD elements, widescreen FOvs, menus and other simple things work properly on the PC with a keyboard and mouse. You rarely hear about PC versions of primarily console games having terrible gameplay (even if the controls are messed up somehow). Typical complaints usually center around things not related to core gameplay that should just work better or differently on PC. And if those things are done well, your game tends to sell better and probably se23lls tons (and sometimes you even get lucky and make a game like Borderlands that is awesome even with some of the retarded UI misses).

What you get out of the PC depends on what you put in.

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
Good lord it's not like you guys are buying a $20,000 car and need to test drive it! It's a $50 game! Surely some reviews, some youtube videos and the reactions of people here who buy the game will let you know if the game is worth buying.