Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Even if it is gamebryo at heart, it's pretty clear it's been overhauled. The jump from Morrowind to Oblivion was pretty big. From Oblivion to Skyrim is already notable from what they've shown us, Oblivion didn't look anywhere near that good.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I thought oblivion looked quite alright in terms of the scenery, it was the characters, gear, and faces that really jarred me. That's why I'm still cynical about the look of Skyrim until I see some characters that aren't so ugly that they singlehandedly defeat the purpose of elaborate graphics in the first place.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Something to keep in mind is that the new game still has to work with the same hardware as Oblivion (ie. the Xbox 360 and PS3), so it was never going to be a quantum leap forward.

Most of the waterfalls in that pic look eyebrow-raisingly unconvincing, though...

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
I thought oblivion looked quite alright in terms of the scenery, it was the characters, gear, and faces that really jarred me. That's why I'm still cynical about the look of Skyrim until I see some characters that aren't so ugly that they singlehandedly defeat the purpose of elaborate graphics in the first place.

I agree with you on this. Oblivion sacrificed proper looking faces for the ability to have millions of face permutations. Hopefully they can get the same permutation system but with proper looking faces.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Those waterfalls look like being frozen in ice. Otherwise it really looks better compared to Fallout 3/NV and Oblivion.

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
I'm looking forward to Skyrim and enjoyed both Oblivion and Morrowind (Oblivion a little less).

For me the biggest thing missing from Oblivion and Fallout 3 that Morrowind had was the sense of being somewhere. Right from the start of the game you can travel just about anywhere and the enemies would match your level, there's no variation in difficulty between areas. That coupled with the fast travel system eliminated the feeling of discovery and venturing into dangerous and remote territory that Morrowind had. Thinking ahead, stocking up and preparing were all part of the experience. Oblivion only has a small sweet spot when your skill is high enough to take out low level bandits with one hit before every enemy in the game levels up and it feels like you're back at square one. At a very high level all enemies are the same few types.

Morrowind's transport system was slower but I liked the various ways to get around better; having to fork out gold for a boat, silt strider, mage's guild teleport, or get spells or scrolls which teleport you to the nearest town or player-summoned marker. Oblivion felt so dead in that respect, there's nobody going anywhere or doing anything much except you.

Hoping that Skyrim has more varying difficulty between areas and doesn't have Oblivion's fast travel system. :)

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
New screens: http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=25625

And people actually look good:

[screenshot]http://cdn.medialib.oxm.co.uk/screens/screenshot_17302.jpg[/screenshot]

Looks about the same to me. You can even make out the seam where the head connects with the body, which was doubly obvious in Oblivion.

EDIT: Course the game is still roughly a year away so graphic improvement is a given

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
New screens: http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=25625

And people actually look good:

[screenshot]http://cdn.medialib.oxm.co.uk/screens/screenshot_17302.jpg[/screensot]

Wow, they look a lot better design wise, they are really going for a photo realistic appearance with the people. I lol'd at the hairy man arm in the other screenshot. Too bad it all looks low poly and the environments remind me of Oblivion or something bad on UE3. Bleh.

You can even make out the seam where the head connects with the body

BS, even zooming to where it's pixelized I can't tell. Even if it was like that in game, I bet they would have fixed the photos up and hid that.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It's an improvement, but still not what I would call good. I just want them to fix it so that if I pick up an apple, every other piece of food on the table doesn't instantly begin hovering.

~Jason

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
360 release?
oh great another gimped console port of a shoddy shell of a game stripped to fit on a dvd.