Cliff B Tweaks PC Gamers Over MIA Bulletstorm Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
No surprise there, really. Especially his "tweet". Did people really expect something else? The way this game is advertised is the core of Cliffy's character - vulgar douchebaggery. Back in the old days I enjoyed my games without explicit profanity and if there was some, it was damn funny. From what I've seen, it's internet memes everywhere.

Moving along to The Witcher 2 / Dragon Age 2 / Monday Night Combat / Breach / etc. ...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Eh, I don't see what's the fuss here. For one, he's right, PC gamers are grumpy. The post just makes him appear like a Magnificent Bastard in my eyes.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Aaaand creating a topic about on it on Epic will get your thread not locked, but deleted.

Seriously, Flak?

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Hey Cliffy lemme fix your tweat.

"BULLETSTORM DEMO COMING TO 360/PS3 JANUARY 25th. In other news, Epic Games doesn't care for PC gamers' money."

I've been buying PC games for almost 15 years, and have yet to "trust" any of Epic's offerings without trying them first. I may in fact be the sole human being that's never played Gears, and still doesn't care to...

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
For one, he's right, PC gamers are grumpy.
For two, PC gamers usually have a good reason to be grumpy and I'm not referring to the piddly stuff like no lean, no prone, etc

Take Black Ops for example. Supposedly it was going to run well on PCs at launch and yet we had quite a few people here that couldn't get it to run worth a damn on a rig that should easily handle it. If memory serves, didn't it take 2 patches before BO ran worth a damn on many PCs?

Rumor has it the PC version of Bad Company 2 is based on the PS3 version which is why you need a beefy CPU to get decent framerates

I swear the only devs that have done good to PC gamers is TimeGate with Section 8

Trustingsoup

Cannon fodder
Jan 20, 2008
In front of my computer
I would like to know why there isn't a PC demo planned at the moment. Why can't someone at Epic just give a straight answer? Why the runaround? This upsets me more than not having a demo .
I am sure SOMEONE at Epic knows.

Last edited:

ShadowBlade

RuneStorm developer
May 4, 2006
South Africa
www.runestorm.com
Well, hopefully we at RS here will give the PC gamer something to be ungrumpy about soon :p

I'm still interested in Bulletstorm as it stands. Mindless over-the-top slaughter is always a winner imo :)
I'm pretty easy when it comes to games, except CoD. I'm sick of hearing about CoD :D

Mia'cova

Oldskool Lurker
Jan 29, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
That's some pretty hard to believe. Maybe if he actually said or did something to that effect, but he has not and likely will not do so in the future, cause he loves his consoles.

Okay, here, I'll quote an interview with him.

http://spong.com/feature/10109700/Interview-Cliffy-B-Interview-Gears-Of-War-PC

SPOnG: So, on PC, the old problem of analogue stick controller versus PC/mouse control must still come up.

Cliffy B: Yeah, sure, it’s still an issue with the PC version. We do a lot of behind-the-scenes tweaking to make sure that if you are using the keyboard and the mouse that you don’t have too much of an advantage. There’s a lot you can do with accuracy, there’s a lot you can do with weapon-kick and things like that… And, of course, we KNOW what set-up you’re playing on, behind the scenes, whether or not you are playing with the 360 controller or with the keyboard and mouse, and we can adjust accordingly; and we do, we make sure there is a good balance.

So yea, there he is describing some of the tricks they use to tone down the mouse/keyboard as to not completely destroy controller players. He also references the research and whitepapers microsoft produced while developing the cross-platform play in Shadowrun. Keep in mind that cliff was actually a very respectable 99 percentile skilled UT player. The designers at epic were all twitch keyboard/mouse shooter players since the days of doom.

So yea, how it's hard to believe is beyond me. This is how it is. Respect the Cliff! :)

Last edited:

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Okay, here, I'll quote an interview with him.

http://spong.com/feature/10109700/Interview-Cliffy-B-Interview-Gears-Of-War-PC

So yea, there he is describing some of the tricks they use to tone down the mouse/keyboard as to not completely destroy controller players. He also references the research and whitepapers microsoft produced while developing the cross-platform play in Shadowrun. Keep in mind that cliff was actually a very respectable 99 percentile skilled UT player. The designers at epic were all twitch keyboard/mouse shooter players since the days of doom.

So yea, how it's hard to believe is beyond me. This is how it is. Respect the Cliff! :)
I meant "recently", cause at that time (2007) I think he was still trying to present himself as someone who cares about PC. It isn't until this article (2008) where his real persona is revealed, when he doesn't even bother to keep up the pretense anymore.

With five million copies of the original sold, and high expectations for the sequel, has Gears of War become the most important franchise for Epic, even over Unreal Tournament?

I think it's safe to say that, yes. I think Unreal Tournament has been our bread and butter for years, it's been very successful, but it's hard to argue with the success of Gears. Unreal Tournament 3, we very much care about it, it's a well reviewed game. At the same time, if you look at where Gears is right now on the 360, I think it's safe to say that it's our primary franchise.

So do you think that UT could make another comeback?

It remains to be seen what we're going to be doing with Unreal Tournament in the future. We'd need to announce that.

Do you see the Xbox 360 as the main platform as opposed to the PC? During the whole Unreal time it was very much PC focused.

The PC right now is a fair amount different to what it was back in the day, with all the badly integrated video chips. Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC.

So piracy was a main point for you...

Right now, it makes sense for us to focus on Xbox 360 for a number of reasons. Not least PCs with multiple configurations and piracy.

But when the dust has settled, is there any possibility of Gears 2 on PC?

No.

Definitely not?

No.

So somewhere between GoW and GoW PC, UT3, GoW2, calling every able PC gamer a pirate, and giving jack to the PC community (bread and butter? when you consider GoW and the consoles to be first-class?), I've more than lost whatever respect I had for CliffyB (you can never deny that name! no matter how much you want to reinvent yourself to the consolers!) and Epic from the days of UT99.

Last edited:

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Yeah. people pay thousands on their hardware. Im sure they all also pirate games. Infact, if a game wasn't half-assed, tons of people would buy it.

Clearly GoW sold more then UT. Gaming sorta became a much larger market and continues to do so.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Do you see the connection here?

In other news, some guys are grumpy about pirates. :rolleyes:

Do you see it, too?

From CliffyB's statements, it helped people make their mind on not to buy it. And the people on here who say they will avoid the game, nah, I don't buy. They just want to call it a safe shot and say they will avoid it, when they won't. I was just being honest here.

Plus I've supported Epic many times before: All my Epic's games are legit, even Gears PC, and I've mapped for years on their engine. Not like it should bother anyone. Call me an idiot, I don't care. In other news, Move on.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Do you see the connection here?
Here's the thing, Cliffy's comment seems to be based on the belief that someone will pirate a game to get out of paying $50-60(or just for gits and shiggles) whereas Kantham's comment appears based on all the BS and gimping the PC gamers are getting in regards to Bulletstorm(or just about any recent multi-platform game)

I see things like this:
Devs: "Stop pirating and we'll put more focus on PC!"
Gamers: "Stop giving us the shaft and the finger and we'll buy your game"

Last edited: