Section 8: Prejudice To Be Sold For $14.99

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The original Section 8 was a game that I liked quite a bit, but had a fair share of problems and flaws that prevented it from really taking off - and being released so close to Modern Warfare 2 didn't help either. That's a problem that developer TimeGate Studios is seeking to resolve - by selling the sequel, a fully standalone game, for a mere $14.99.

There may be something strange in the water down here in Texas, or perhaps TimeGate Studios' CEO, Adel Chaveleh, has gone completely mad, but the award-winning independent developer and publisher has revealed that Section 8: Prejudice, a sequel to the full-priced Section 8, will be available exclusively as a digital download on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC for just $14.99 / 1200 Microsoft Points. No joke.

Prejudice is a full-featured, sci-fi-themed, first-person shooter that delivers a 5-hour, story-driven single-player campaign, robust online multiplayer for up to 32 players across a variety of maps, and a new 4-player co-op game mode, entitled Swarm. As if that wasn't enough, all game modes and content will be playable offline, as the $14.99 product also includes full bot support.

"We're challenging the notion of just how much quality and value we can pack into a digital download first-person shooter," said Adel Chaveleh, CEO of TimeGate Studios. "Our target is very simply to be the highest quality, best value digital FPS on the market. Prejudice is a full-retail-scoped product, so I'm sure our fans will be very happy with our price-point decision."

Section 8: Prejudice will be out for PC, PS3, and XBox 360 sometime during Q1 2011.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Can anyone confirm if they're using GFWL on this one as well?

I'm intrigued by this, but this sounds like the same situation as WarPath about 4-5 years ago.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They are still using GFWL (which could really be the death knell for this one). The game is a huge improvement over the previous one in many areas, it's probably going to be more than worth the $14.99. I don't know if they have a publisher on it, either.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Honestly, I would give this game a far go if they took out the stupid auto-lock system out. I know a few of you will say the thing isn't a problem, but I will just say it's ideally designed for casual console players who can't hitscan properly at targets leading a predictable air trajectory.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The auto-lock lasts about 1/5th the time it did before. I can't ever use it to kill anyone. I mostly just use it for getting my bearings when I'm right by someone.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The classes are quite a bit more distinct now. In S8 the Guardian class was pretty versatile, but in this one it seems like you've really got to pick the right class for what you want to do.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
The LockOn wasn't as bad as the rampaging whiners made it out to be. Yea it meant hiking a SensorBlocker all over the place but if someone was good enough they didn't need it anyway.
On top of that, the LockOn could only be used a short amount of time, had to recharge between uses and the lock could be broken by just about anything

People screeching about the LockOn are about the same as the people that scream "AIMBOT!" when they get killed by someone better

Stuff about classes
Don't forget there never really was set classes in the S8 world as you could tweak each loadout to your liking
Granted you'll probably end up making something resembling a "standard" class anyway, but that's mostly due to no one kit is suited for all situations.

In S8 I had a general mayhem kit, CQB, AntiArmor, Mechanic(Medic), one for DCM running and another for DCM support

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I will say this (for now, since we hope to be doing a preview soon): This is like night and day compared to the original Section 8. I can't go into particulars, but I will say that I feel the game is damn worth the $15, and what's in it is *NOT* a budget amount of content, unlike Warpath. It's definitely more content than you would expect for that price point.

This isn't "remnants" of a sequel, hastily slapped together for a quick buck. This is definitely stuff that they saw people complain about, took seriously, and balanced it out. It feels like a new game. And to top it all off, it is running on the latest UE3 tech, so Lightmass and stuff is all in.

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I really liked the look of S8 but never got around to really playing it.
Prejudice does sound interesting - the only contra is GfW but oh well... we'll see. Might just get it and see what it's like if they changed so much :)

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
This isn't "remnants" of a sequel, hastily slapped together for a quick buck. This is definitely stuff that they saw people complain about, took seriously, and balanced it out. It feels like a new game. And to top it all off, it is running on the latest UE3 tech, so Lightmass and stuff is all in.

I'm not opposed to getting this at all. The sudden price drop and confirming they're using GFWL makes me a bit nervous though. However, $15 isn't a bad price for this. TF2 is still going strong at $20 so they're pricing it competitively. It's certainly not going to appeal strongly to the MoH/CoD base.

I'll probably wait for a review. Unfortunately I haven't had the time/willingness lately to really dedicate myself to any online shooter for an extended period of time.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I think I'm convinced about buying in on release day. Any words on a level editor yet?

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I think I'm convinced about buying in on release day. Any words on a level editor yet?
No, but don't hold your breath either. S8 didn't have UEd enabled so it's unlikely that S8:P will(may be the fault of using GfWL)

It's certainly not going to appeal strongly to the MoH/CoD base.
Meh, the MoH/CoD base probably won't fare well in the S8 world anyway.
Neither the sniper rifle or knife are a one-hit-kill and the entire gameplay is closer to something like Onslaught than DM

Actually Conquest in S8 is more like a combination of the UT Domination and Assault gametypes

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Agreed and it is exceptionally lame since the tools are free to distribute *cashcow*

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
...all game modes and content will be playable offline, as the $14.99 product also includes full bot support.
SOLD! As an old fart who doesn't play on pubs anymore (I only play SP, coop w/ friends, or alone w/ bots), this is awesome. And the price point is spot on for a "looks interesting... might try it" purchase.

Now about that GFWL...