If UT4 was announced...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I can't say I was ever real thrilled with UT3's grungy looks either, but that's not what really kills Warfare. Warfare with UT 2004 vehicles would rock IMHO. It did introduce some good ideas with the hoverboards and countdown timer nodes.

Why would warfare with vehicles that were more dangerous to be inside than out of be any better?

Mar 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC.
Unlimited Translocator's disc, because you recall it every time you teleport, why the f*** do you lose "ammo" anyway?

Remove the Hoverboard, I think I can play THUG instead.

And for Titans do not put it as a Mutator, but as a Gametype.

Bring Assault, Bombing Run and Domination back.

Fix the damn AVRiL.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I don't like the idea of an endless translocator, what's the point of endlessly teleporting. It's just dumb.

Aren't you the one who wants the dodge jump back? Ya know, the most broken and unbalanced game mechanic ever put into a UT game?

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
Fix the damn AVRiL.

Oh god, yes. It's so terrible in UT3. 90% of the time it ends up being useless 'cause it hits something else instead of the vehicle.:shake: I don't even remember it being that bad in 2k4.

The endless translocator worked just fine in Unreal Tournament. I liked it the most then, tbh.

Last edited:

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
I don't like the idea of an endless translocator, what's the point of endlessly teleporting. It's just dumb.

Are you kidding me? That's one of THE things the entire NA competetive CTF community wanted back. It completely restricts your creativity and slows down the pace of the game. So long as the speed with which the trans is propelled is scaled to the game properly, it is a perfect fit. I could go on more about it but that's a whole other topic, and it has been discussed before in detail on sites like UnrealNA, and agreed upon by the majority it should've been unlimited.

Other than the aforementioned suggestion, I think it would be a bad idea if Epic decided to change the orginal weapon formula and go with something new. If they want to do that then they're making a game that is NOT UT. I'm fine with a few additional gametypes, but they failed to bring back Double Domination in UT3 as a stock gametype which was a mistep imo, while gimmick gametypes like Titan were thrown in for the expansion.

The UI obviously needs a transformation. UT2004 provided a wealth of client options, community interaction (built-in IRC), and server feedback, like seeing who's playing in a server before even joining it, everything needed to nurture a competetive community. It also had a ribbon, tab-like interface instead of this nested tree mess that is UT3. Not only that but you really couldn't fine-tune what options there were to one's liking. If I wanted legoland graphics, I had to go in the ini to do it. But that issues been hashed so many times I don't want to harp on it anymore.

If anything the Gamespy requirement was utter problematic. Especially when it would go down and make people drop in the middle of games.

One thing I really wish Epic would do that they never seemed to have done in the past is confront the actual BEST competetive veteran players from the community, and get feedback directly from them. Or if anything allow them to get involved in private alpha and beta testing, and that way they could really iron out issues the competetive players know are a problem and they can release the game as it should be, a polished product.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
But then again, UT is not only for competitive players. In fact, many people like me hate most of the things that competitive players cherish. So maybe there should be two games or two modes or something.

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
But then again, UT is not only for competitive players. In fact, many people like me hate most of the things that competitive players cherish. So maybe there should be two games or two modes or something.

A game doesn't gain competetive players if it isn't a great game to begin with, as I started off as nothing but a casual player. I'm not really sure what you would hate that we believe in but please go on, I'd love to hear what you think. A game that stands the test of time is one that people appreciate enough on it's own for it to be worthy of competition. Verteran players at higher tiers, especially in UT, have a deep understanding of the game mechanics and balancing issues, that casual players, (one's that just play a game for a little while then move on to something else), do not see or appreciate. These are things that on a higher level of skill gameplay, stick out as exploits or detractors of a fun, evenly balanced game. We seek only giving the game it's highest potential for replayability and I'm curious where you come from to believe "most people" hate what we "cherish" or think. There's no reason to demonise a whole group of players just because you think the game wasn't meant for us. Thats hogwash.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Games made for competitive play are rarely good for public, casual types of play.

To be honest, UT would do better if there was the standard game along with an Epic sanctioned, frequently updated Promod to make the game better for competitive play.

That said, most so-called "pro"s want crap like brightskins, a single player model that is 100% visible at all times, and guns that kill in one shot. Doesn't exactly make for great entertainment (speaking as someone who has been and currently is in a clan that has used such mods) :p

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
That said, most so-called "pro"s want crap like brightskins, a single player model that is 100% visible at all times, and guns that kill in one shot. Doesn't exactly make for great entertainment (speaking as someone who has been and currently is in a clan that has used such mods) :p

Exactly that. Plus the aforementioned "lego graphics", things like turning off the weapons display, turning off the music and EAX so you could hear footsteps etc. That just makes the game utterly joyless. Personally I like playing the games for the atmosphere, not because it lets me hit a lightbulb in a washed-out room before it hits me.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
EVERY UT GAME has shipped with options for both. Why is this even an issue? You have the options you want for immersion on an offline scale right?

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
Games made for competitive play are rarely good for public, casual types of play.

To be honest, UT would do better if there was the standard game along with an Epic sanctioned, frequently updated Promod to make the game better for competitive play.

Thats a misconstrued and stereotypical assumption that a casual player would want to believe, but has been shown why it's wrong time and time again. I want something because it enhances the game and takes away detrimental things like not being able to see people from a distance. If it bother's you so much, YOU have the option to turn it off. I don't really see why artwork on the wall or why the way some character looks in a game, that stresses player interaction and skill, matters so much in "entertainment" value other than you're wanting the game to be something it's not meant to be. If competetive games aren't good for public, then we wouldn't have any casual players at all as any popular competetive game has a majority share of casual players to begin with. And competition has almost always been proportional to a games popularity, atleast in games that pit players against one another. Though I'd love for you to share some titles that say the oppposite.

Last edited: