Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Oh man when I saw that **** I literally yelped out loud in excitement. I loved Morrowind and I loved Oblivion.

Sindarin

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 15, 2004
Definitely interested. Any word if they're using the same engine or if they've migrated to id Tech 5?

Using Gamebryo engine still. :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-16-bethesdas-todd-howard-interview

Eurogamer: Is it fair to say then that it's based on existing technology?

Todd Howard: The technology is ours and it is inspired by the technology we have. We have a lot of it. But that's our starting point - the Fallout 3 tech. It started with Morrowind, we went to Oblivion, we did a lot between Oblivion and Fallout 3 because now we had final hardware - with Oblivion we had six months on final hardware, so Fallout 3 technically does a lot more than Oblivion. The new stuff is an even bigger jump from that.

I can say it is on the existing platforms, which we're really happy with. You almost feel like you have a new console when you see the game.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Not that Gamebryo crap again :\

output.gif

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Would id Tech 5 really be suitable for a TES game anyway? Id engines are usually more geared towards smaller, discrete levels, rather than gigantic sprawling megaworlds. I mean, Gamebryo is buggy as hell, but if you consider all the stuff it has to deal with at once, not just streaming in graphics as you're walking around but all the pathing of NPCs and keeping track of all the little changes you've made to the world, its still kind of impressive. When its not crashing every ten minutes anyway.

I hope they make the motionless staring conversations a bit more natural, though. They still kind of freak me out.

PS. Also modding is really really easy in Gamebryo, so that's nice too, since there's almost always some stupid crap that needs fixing in Bethesda games.

Last edited:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
I've never known an Id engine game could even close to the size and complexity of the worlds in TES. Yes, I know it can do big landscapes now. I'm just not sure if its designed to manage a Bethesda-sized game world.