If UT4 was announced...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
@Teridax, that's the first time ever I've heard someone saying that vanilla UT3 has floaty gameplay.

Floaty probably wasn't the word I should have used. Jumpy, I guess, would be better. I'm not saying it's bad in UT3 or anything, I just don't like the double jumping that much. Double jumping is pretty good in UT3 when compared to 2k4, but it still seems kind of weird to me.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Besides, in UC2, when you were trying to hit someone with your melee, you kind of needed those extra dodge/jump options for survival TBH.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Floaty probably wasn't the word I should have used. Jumpy, I guess, would be better. I'm not saying it's bad in UT3 or anything, I just don't like the double jumping that much. Double jumping is pretty good in UT3 when compared to 2k4, but it still seems kind of weird to me.
It is bad in ut3 simply because it's out of place. The players are rather grounded and there's plenty of times on every map where you should be able to jump up on something only to find out that you need to do a double jump to reach it. Just thinking of the mechanics of a double jump makes me sigh.

Teridax

Fresh meat.
Nov 2, 2008
It is bad in ut3 simply because it's out of place. The players are rather grounded and there's plenty of times on every map where you should be able to jump up on something only to find out that you need to do a double jump to reach it. Just thinking of the mechanics of a double jump makes me sigh.

I don't think it's as bad as it is in 2k4, but yeah, it does get really annoying when you need to double jump to get to certain areas. A single jump probably would have been better for UT3 if they just made it so that players would go a bit higher.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
True, I love wall dodging. But at least that makes some sense, whereas doing a jump then magically jumping again at the apex of your first jump does not. :p

IIRC in the UT2004 code it says that you double jump using jets. But it was never explained in the actual canon, nor is there any effect like that present in the games.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't mind double jumping with the jump boots, since they are like jump jets. But aside from that, they don't really make sense or augment the gameplay in any way.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
I don't mind double jumping with the jump boots, since they are like jump jets. But aside from that, they don't really make sense or augment the gameplay in any way.

I made them reduce gravity by 33% (1->0.67) that gives you additional airtime and distance. Had previously at 0.9-0.7, but people couldn't tell the difference at all. Can see in the video I posted short dodgejump bursts too along with long distance ones. So that at least gives them some functionality.

I could probably make a seperate mutator that removes double jump and replaces it with a single jump that can do most of the jumps the double jump could. Just need to compensate a little for the airtime/distance lost. Height isn't an issue.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Here you go, no double jump. Increased the jump height and added a forward velocity multiplier to it, and increased the running speed by 10%. You should be able to do most jumps you could normally do with a well timed double jump when it comes to height and distance. Also reduced air control slightly to be more in the lines of UT99.

ClassicMovement
http://www.sendspace.com/file/o0qkhu

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
If you like UT1 so much, why not play it?

The problem is that UT99 has low player counts as just about any 11 year old game would. The benefit of having a UT99-2 back on the store shelves is that it would become visible to millions of gamers who have never heard of UT before and who might enjoy a UT99-2.

Hoping for a UT99-2 that would benefit from fresh advertising and from being featured on store shelves is a very legitimate thing to hope for.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site

The on-foot UT games that had single jump were a whole heck of a lot more successful and popular than the ones that had the silly double jump. If you think that UT is boring because it has a single jump then perhaps you've only played the game at noob level and never at a competitive clan match or pug match level where the game becomes more of an online cybersport and less of a silly short-lived game.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
No idea about Dodge jump never used it maybe cause I like in UT99 land most of them time, the problem with UT4 is that not everyone can be happy cause you have the UT99 people and the UT2004 people and you can only please one group not both, any attempt to please both will fail unless you can have mutators to give people one way to play and others another way.

The solution is simple. UT4 should include options for both UT99 and UT 2004 movement styles. UT99 style is best for no-vehicle on-foot games such as DM, CTF, DOMination, and Bombing Run. UT 2004 movement style works well for the vehicle games like Onslaught. So, UT4 should include options for both movement styles and the player marketplace would end up deciding which style was best for which game type.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
UT4 should look to make the movement more impressive, rather than worrying about retaining some previous thing exactly. For example, it would be great to have wall-running, climbing, sliding, maybe something like a grapple, etc., if these were technically possible.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
UT4 should look to make the movement more impressive, rather than worrying about retaining some previous thing exactly. For example, it would be great to have wall-running, climbing, sliding, maybe something like a grapple, etc., if these were technically possible.

You just described Brink.