Runtime Error, tried lots

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Karne

And god said, OMFG PWNED
Feb 10, 2006
Richmond, BC, Canada
Hokay, so:

In UT2K4 I have this mildly retarded error:
Program D:\Games\Unreal Tournament 2004\System\UT2004.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

(Yeah I did just draw the window in text)

Ive tried everything shown in all other topics relating to this error but all of the ones I read the "victim" just reinstalled UT2K4. I REALLY do not want to do that. I've looked in the registry and found that all the stuff relating to UT2K4 is fine, including the stuff in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Ive backed up and deleted my UT2004.ini and User.ini's and started UT2K4 to only have it create the default ones, but still come up with the error. This error comes up before UT2K4 really opens, it happens after displaying the splash screen for a few seconds. I've tried the UT2K4 safe mode too. But one thing thats really odd, is I cannot unistall UT2K4 anymore. It pops up with a bunch of gibberish text like AJHLAS*F(S&$W(*YSDFSF with an okay button. Click okay and it just closes. Nothing happens. UT2K4 is still on my add or remove programs list.

One thing that will really help you guys help me is the fact that I defragmented both my C and D drives (at seperate times). And at the end of each one, they froze. And ever since then alot of things are really ****ed up. I needed to reinstall my sound driver, needed to re register the DLL's for Windows Media Player, etc...

My system specs:

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe <- Latest Bios and Chipset drivers
Intel Pentium 4 530J 3.0GHz <- Overclocked to 3.6Ghz
EVGA e-Geforce 7800GT CO <- Overclocked to 480/1225Mhz
C drive is an OLD 20gig <- Just has Windows on it
D drive is pretty new 80gig <- Were UT2K4 is located

I have Windows XP SP2 with all latest updates
No viruses (scanned a few days ago with Norton Internet Security 2006)
UT2K4 has alot of mutators and mods downloaded, but none currently active.
UT2K4 is running the 3369 win32 patch and ECE, was all working fine.

I personally think a reformat is gonna need to be necassary cause its not just UT2K4, but I've been able to fix all the other problems so far, but I wanna wait till Vista until my next reformat... I have to do them to often.:(

EDIT: Ive also reinstalled 3369 patch and it didnt fix anything.

Last edited:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
From reading your post it sounds like you have bigger problems than just UT2004 not working to worry about.

And you might need to reinstall. No biggie though, it won't delete custom content, and doesn't take that long.

Karne

And god said, OMFG PWNED
Feb 10, 2006
Richmond, BC, Canada
Its worked for months with overclocking, but I'm gonna try that now, cause somethings mega ****ed. I just completely wiped it(custom content+reg keys+ut2k4). And reinstalled, without ECE (currently dl'ing mega pack, heard ECE can get messed with two installations) and started it up, the errors stilll THERE. And btw if anyone wants to know, to get into the uninstaller I had to copy a few DLL's (core.dll, engine.dll, ifcs32.dll) from the ut2k4/system directory and put them into my windows/system 32 folder. Im getting scared a reformats immenent (excuse spelling), but Im gonna try no overclocking AND after mega pack installs (it does latest patch and all).

Karne

And god said, OMFG PWNED
Feb 10, 2006
Richmond, BC, Canada
WOOOOW
IM SUPER CRAZY PORBLEM SOVVLER!!!11!7

K so, I go into Unreal Ed, open up a random map, test play, close the map, K so Im in UT2K4 W00T! close UT2K4, now the normal UT2K4 shortcut works!

Im just pissed off that I had to reinstall, but atleast UT2K4 is working! Thanks for all the suggestions though.

exorcism91

Feb 24, 2006
i have this problem too...can some1 tell me the things i have to do...
i dont understand the things above here :( :eek:
like whats overclocking?

exorcism91

Feb 24, 2006
i said i didnt understand that but im now scanning on virusses and then im gonna reinstall the patch....is that the way?

khalum777

Feb 15, 2009
can someone help me? i deleted nvidia logo file and then restored it because i needed it and now i cant play

Critical_Error

Mar 11, 2010
ok sorry for writing in an old thread, but for my case it was the first google spitted out.

i had the same (runtime-)problem, tried w/e without help, till i read the UTED-post,
guess what happend :)

Critical Error
blablub....
Video: No Video
Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

i totally forgot i deactivated virtual memory for testing. shame ut doesnt bring me a "out of memory-message" instead a bs "runtime error"

looks like teh "just-start-UTED-idea" can solve more than one problem :)

ty

C_E
maybe this help some others too :)

LQHR

Nov 29, 2010
simple solution - Windows 7 users

hi peeps ...

buddy and I, installed the 2004 version but we also got "runtime error" thingy, and so we googled and googled, but non of your answers worked until we thought "DOH!" this is an old game, just change compability functions, and start as an admin ... problem solved .. :D