Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Need some small advice guys.

First I want to confirm something about RAW images. When taking the photo the camera doesn't do any sort of white balance to the image right, so it's all up to you to do later?

That's where my problem lies. I'd like to just batch auto whitebalance and auto exposure a bunch of photos I took and I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that in Photoshop or Bridge. Can someone please fill me in? :D

It's a hassle to do one at a time.

Edit: Oh and auto lens correction and whatever else helps or is possible on automatic would be nice too.

Last edited:

First I want to confirm something about RAW images. When taking the photo the camera doesn't do any sort of white balance to the image right, so it's all up to you to do later?

That's where my problem lies. I'd like to just batch auto whitebalance and auto exposure a bunch of photos I took and I'm not sure exactly how to go about doing that in Photoshop or Bridge. Can someone please fill me in? :D

Edit: Oh and auto lens correction and whatever else helps or is possible on automatic would be nice too.

IIRC it's File>Scripts>Image Processor

But I don't know if you can do all that with that option. I haven't used it in a while.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Photoshop does not come with a script to do what you would like, though it is possible to write such a script, which means somebody might've written such a script. I'd say you're out of luck here, though you could try some Photoshop dedicated forums.
However, touching up photos requires human interaction. You can't just say "auto" to everything. In the end the result will be better if you dedicate 5-10 minutes of your life to look through your photos. Of course, if you have hundreds of photos, then it will take a little longer.

edit: Come to think of it, if your photos are extremely similar, you could simply use the same adjustments for all of them. Simply take the .XMP file (it is generated when you adjust an image in ACR), make a lot of copies of it and name it so that Photoshop recognizes which photos the .XMP files belong to. Just look at a photo folder with the .XMP files, it is a quite simply system really.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC

It sounds like you want the program to do everything for you. Most consumer cameras perform auto white balancing, auto lens correcting and chromatic distortion removal when you choose .jpg mode. When you have the camera save your images as raw files your gaining more control over all of that. You will have to do that manually which is the point. If you find this to be a hassle you should either consider going back to .jpg's, hire someone to edit your images for you or get your hands dirty by giving each image the care it deserves.

I don't recommend auto white balancing raw files in post production. Have your camera do that before hand. In bridge you can select more than one shot that has similar lighting and open them up in ACR then change your white balance and use the sync feature. This will save you quite a bit of time.

The latest ACR has lens correction features built in. I don't use them because It takes the lens distortion away. I like the lens distortion in my lenses. Thats why i bought them. True Macro = Zero lens distortion.

If an image is worth keeping, its worth editing individually.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
IIRC it's File>Scripts>Image Processor

But I don't know if you can do all that with that option. I haven't used it in a while.
Photoshop does not come with a script to do what you would like, though it is possible to write such a script, which means somebody might've written such a script. I'd say you're out of luck here, though you could try some Photoshop dedicated forums.
However, touching up photos requires human interaction. You can't just say "auto" to everything. In the end the result will be better if you dedicate 5-10 minutes of your life to look through your photos. Of course, if you have hundreds of photos, then it will take a little longer.

edit: Come to think of it, if your photos are extremely similar, you could simply use the same adjustments for all of them. Simply take the .XMP file (it is generated when you adjust an image in ACR), make a lot of copies of it and name it so that Photoshop recognizes which photos the .XMP files belong to. Just look at a photo folder with the .XMP files, it is a quite simply system really.

I just figured out you can open all the images in ACR at once and then select all and apply the automatic corrections. It worked with 20 photos at once, but I'm not sure if there's a limit on larger amounts.

I also tried what Jackal said and that is actually how I saved them as TIFF and there's an option to run an action on the photos but I don't know what the ones listed do. Meh. (Edit: That image processor isn't a very good way of batch saving either, I can just use bridge for that, so I have no idea what use that script could have)

For now selecting all in ACR will work for me, also in bridge you can do what you suggested Rambo, but it's less complicated.

Also, yeah, doing it manually helps out a lot with some photos and I do do that, but with a bunch of my photos they come out perfectly fine with just doing auto white balance.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I guess I need to start getting more lenses besides my default kit lens...

Edit:

Another question: Where is the best place to buy prints and what file format should I use? I wanted to use TIFF for quality so do they normally support that or will I have to use Jpg?

Last edited:
I guess I need to start getting more lenses besides my default kit lens...

Edit:

Another question: Where is the best place to buy prints and what file format should I use? I wanted to use TIFF for quality so do they normally support that or will I have to use Jpg?

Prints of your work? Try www.snapfish.com

It's the only place I know of off the top of my head that will let you upload digtial pictures, they print them and send them to you.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Prints of your work? Try www.snapfish.com

It's the only place I know of off the top of my head that will let you upload digtial pictures, they print them and send them to you.

Eh, Walgreens and HEB does it and I'm sure Walmart does too. I ended up going with Walgreens and they even had a holiday sale that ended today. I chose to pick up in store tomorrow but you can get them sent too.

I had to upload as jpg though, does snapfish let you use tiff? :p I doubt it though cause even with jpg it took me forever to upload 50 photos. I wonder if any on-site photo centers let you use tiff.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Eh, Walgreens and HEB does it and I'm sure Walmart does too. I ended up going with Walgreens and they even had a holiday sale that ended today. I chose to pick up in store tomorrow but you can get them sent too.

I had to upload as jpg though, does snapfish let you use tiff? :p I doubt it though cause even with jpg it took me forever to upload 50 photos. I wonder if any on-site photo centers let you use tiff.

Why do you want to upload tiff files? A jpg saved at the highest quality settings will be indistinguishable from a tiff file and will be several time smaller in file size. Save your jpg files using 11 or 12 setting in Photoshop.

Most photo kiosks will take your files and resize/recompress/sharpen using their internal preferences and there is nothing you can do about it. Some kiosks will even perform auto correct functions which will change your white balance, color saturation, levels, exposure, and brightness. (a few will let you turn this off upon request) Obtaining excellent prints through local shops can be difficult. I struggled with it a few years back. Even I know if i want pro quality prints, I have to pay the pro lab prices.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Why do you want to upload tiff files? A jpg saved at the highest quality settings will be indistinguishable from a tiff file and will be several time smaller in file size. Save your jpg files using 11 or 12 setting in Photoshop.

Most photo kiosks will take your files and resize/recompress/sharpen using their internal preferences and there is nothing you can do about it. Some kiosks will even perform auto correct functions which will change your white balance, color saturation, levels, exposure, and brightness. (a few will let you turn this off upon request) Obtaining excellent prints through local shops can be difficult. I struggled with it a few years back. Even I know if i want pro quality prints, I have to pay the pro lab prices.

Ah alright, thanks for the insight. Yeah I realize high quality jpgs are pretty much the same as tiff to the human eye, but still if they allow me to be a perfectionist, why not. :lol:

I guess I'll be fine with jpgs and however else their system is though, I was able to turn off their auto-correction stuff.

How good is the quality on those digital photo printing services btw? Like the DPI or whatever. Is it pretty much the same as when developing film for film cameras? I do realize there's different film qualities, but I'm not sure if that effects the DPI or that type of 'resolution' quality on the final product though.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Ah alright, thanks for the insight. Yeah I realize high quality jpgs are pretty much the same as tiff to the human eye, but still if they allow me to be a perfectionist, why not. :lol:

I guess I'll be fine with jpgs and however else their system is though, I was able to turn off their auto-correction stuff.

How good is the quality on those digital photo printing services btw? Like the DPI or whatever. Is it pretty much the same as when developing film for film cameras? I do realize there's different film qualities, but I'm not sure if that effects the DPI or that type of 'resolution' quality on the final product though.

http://www.millerslab.com/
http://www.whcc.com/
http://www.hhcolorlab.com/

These guys are simply the best at what they do and they have fairly higher prices than your 15 cent 4x6 prints that your used to getting at your Walgreens/Walmart. Yes you pay more $$ for it but if your trying to win a contest, or make a sale from it your going to want something that looks outstanding.

What are the benefits? Endless! There are so many different ways to present a print. High quality paper, matte, luster, glossy, Pearlescent Finish, posterboard, matte board, foam core, standouts, canvas, and many more!

Personally I like Millerslab because I know there is a guy in there who looks at his screen and compares it with each print to maximize quality control. Other places do not do that. To me that is worth the extra $$. Sending my prints back is time consuming, a hassle, and it makes my clients have to wait longer. Most customers are understanding because they know I have a high quality control policy. They would rather see the best damn print ever than have a good print right away.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
A friend of mine. It was a rainy day and the house were in had great light coming through the huge all of pane glass windows. You can kind of tell from the light that it's rainning. :)

Eventually your going to get tired of only having asian models. I've got yellow fever myself, but I've got to take a break sometime :)

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
http://www.millerslab.com/
http://www.whcc.com/
http://www.hhcolorlab.com/

These guys are simply the best at what they do and they have fairly higher prices than your 15 cent 4x6 prints that your used to getting at your Walgreens/Walmart. Yes you pay more $$ for it but if your trying to win a contest, or make a sale from it your going to want something that looks outstanding.

What are the benefits? Endless! There are so many different ways to present a print. High quality paper, matte, luster, glossy, Pearlescent Finish, posterboard, matte board, foam core, standouts, canvas, and many more!

Personally I like Millerslab because I know there is a guy in there who looks at his screen and compares it with each print to maximize quality control. Other places do not do that. To me that is worth the extra $$. Sending my prints back is time consuming, a hassle, and it makes my clients have to wait longer. Most customers are understanding because they know I have a high quality control policy. They would rather see the best damn print ever than have a good print right away.
Awesome, thanks a lot for the resources. I probably won't be using them for the majority of stuff (or maybe I will?) since I'll just be printing the occasional personal family album and some other stuff, but I'll definitely check them out and buy some prints to see what's up. :D
Eventually your going to get tired of only having asian models. I've got yellow fever myself, but I've got to take a break sometime :)

Yeah, but I'm sure it's kinda different when you're living in a country that's not a melting pot. Thousands of artists, photographers, ect. have had to make due since the beginning. On the other hand him being from America (I guess) it's also different having to change to that. :eek:

Bah, whatever. ><