Let's Plays

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Let's Plays, yes or no!

• Why yes, I like this whole LP business.

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • NO EWW GET IT OFF THE INTERNET

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Luizprower General comedian and nice commentary. Foul language imminent

Roahm mythril Does excellent no hit runs of the Megaman games plus shows outtakes of his goofups. He is very informative

Jaymonius Funny guy most of the time. I watch mainly for everything but RPG's

Azureblade49 Some decent lets plays and he used to do Mario rom hacks

These are the top Lets Plays that I tend to enjoy. If I had the recording software I would be in on it myself. I find it kinda of fun.

Last edited:

funkblast

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Aug 4, 2001
California
Visit site
Luizprower General comedian and nice commentary. Foul language imminent

Roahm mythril Does excellent no hit runs of the Megaman games plus shows outtakes of his goofups. He is very informative

Jaymonius Funny guy most of the time. I watch mainly for everything but RPG's

Azureblade49 Some decent lets plays and he used to do Mario rom hacks

These are the top Lets Plays that I tend to enjoy. If I had the recording software I would be in on it myself. I find it kinda of fun.

A lets play of you playing Modern Warfare 2 would be amazing.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Does Freeman's Mind count as an LP? If it does, that is totally worth watching.

One of my favorite Let's Plays is Punchyfist's run of Demon's Souls. He put a final montage at the end of it.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAntLE7Jr5U[/m]

I've been looking at Let's Plays on the Penny Arcade forums and found an Alan Wake LP decent (fairly humorous and informative as well as good playing), and a guy playing the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series was fun (especially since 1080p HD is awesome).

I've been making a Let's Play of Demon's Souls, but it's horrible (dull commentary is the main detractor) so I won't link it here :(

EDIT: Toilet if you have a microphone there's enough free software to record game footage. Audacity, Windows Movie Maker and something as simple as CamStudio (not to be confused with Camtasia) are all you need to start recording.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
sure, but at least then you're in control.

if you're just watching someone else play (and it's not for a walkthrough or strategy guide or something) then I guess I don't really see the point.
is it considered a form of machinima?

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
A Let's Play isn't really just about watching a game being played, but the commentary etc that goes along with it. I've seen some LPs that are ****ing hilarious, and some that are pretty informative. Also, if someone is really awesome at a game, I find that fun to watch as well, particularly because I suck at all games.

Also guys, not to be a GOONY GOON GOON, but stop watching YouTube LPs and get on SomethingAwful, their LPs are generally much better.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/ for an archive of SA LPs.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Also guys, not to be a GOONY GOON GOON, but stop watching YouTube LPs and get on SomethingAwful, their LPs are generally much better.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/ for an archive of SA LPs.

Little does Arcturus know the Demon's Souls LP'er I linked to, Punchyfist, is a goon!

Agreed really, SA tends to have the better stuff, thanks to cultivating a really high standard for their LP's.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
if you're just watching someone else play (and it's not for a walkthrough or strategy guide or something) then I guess I don't really see the point.

If it's just people playing, then yeah, it seems a little pointless to me aswell.

But a lot of people go the Mystery Science Theater 3000 route with it instead, making hillarious comments as they play, and thease can be very funny to watch, more so when they play terrible old games that deserve the verbal lashings ;)

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
Little does Arcturus know the Demon's Souls LP'er I linked to, Punchyfist, is a goon!

Agreed really, SA tends to have the better stuff, thanks to cultivating a really high standard for their LP's.

You forget the best you tube LPer of all time though friends RETSUPRAE

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
sure, but at least then you're in control.

It's for nostalgia purposes, maybe if you don't wanna fire up the game yourself or to see how someone else experiences the game. Ideally the person doing the Let's Play hasn't ever played the game before, but most of these idiots don't know how to do it right and it's basically a walkthrough where they use every trick and glitch and secret in the game. It's supposed to be where you can kind of re-experience those first feelings through someone else. Even without that you should still be able to get a novel experience because they will play it differently than you.

I would post links to some good ones I liked where it was their first time, but they seem to have been removed from Youtube. Wtfz.

Last edited:

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
they are useful to watch if u need help completing a level (assuming its a tutorial type of video)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Couple of weeks back I watched a LP of the Assassin's Creed 2 missions they removed from the game and offer as DLC. Because I don't own the DLC. I'm such a pirate.

ARRR!