Unreal 226b-f security fixed engine.u file

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
[]KAOS[]Casey;2466487 said:
as for "Convincing" people to use 227.. let's just say there's security issues far above and beyond that the public knows about that I wish I could reveal that are extremely serious.

That's not the issue for you, but if there are such ones why won't you reveal them then? This exploit has been known for quite for some time by various people.
But there is no reason why you would want people to stop using 226-225 or whatever in any way and not have seperate installs or force 227 upon them ultimately.

Excuses...I won't believe that, all you want is to have an ego boost over this obviously.

You know, I have heard various stories about you blocking users for not using 227 on MSN or Steam or forcing it down their throat, just because you work on it and you think it is superior in every damn way.

Last edited:

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com
It effects UT as well and could help us get a UT patch similar to 227, and I can't really reveal anything about it because someone could go digging and find it and then the exploits listed in your first post would look like child's play. rest assured once 227 is done the public will know about it if epic hasn't responded with the UT situation

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Similar fixes like I and Zeurkous did could be made for existing UT versions as well.
Why ask Epic for making the patch, or why don't you tell the UPTPG team to make a new patch like that, including the fixes?
If anyone wants to know what we exactly did and wants to make UT fix, he is free to do so and ask me, however I don't think I will make the fix myself.

In the 225 version, becasue of some crashes, I decided to try to manually hex edit the file and had to find the guid and replace it with the original one, which is reversed by four digits breaks each time, but it seems I didn't have to do that anyway and all I could have done is just conform it to both versions...which I did anyway.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Here are some thoughts by zeurkous, I don't agree wholeheartedly but here it is:
[17:26]<zeurkous> lol 'security issues', really?
[17:26]<zeurkous> in a ten-year old commercial piece of software
[17:26]<zeurkous> not maintained anytime since then...
[17:27]<zeurkous> for which we don't have the source code
[17:27]<zeurkous> do they really fscking think I don't know?
[17:27]<zeurkous> I'm no expert on Unreal security
[17:27]<zeurkous> but they're the ones lacking trust
[17:27]<zeurkous> I trust people not to do **** w/ me swerver and client
[17:28]<zeurkous> if they do, shame on me for not protecting myself
[17:28]<zeurkous> if they do it again, shame on them for not helping *me* to
protect my sh*t instead
[17:28]<zeurkous> if I then let it happen again, shame on us both for our
respective roles
[17:28]<zeurkous> fool me once, shame on you
[17:28]<zeurkous> fool me twice, shame on me
[17:28]<zeurkous> fool me thrice, shame on us both
[17:29]<zeurkous> it's a matter of... faith I suppose
[17:29]<zeurkous> I trust people to not wreak heavoc
[17:29]<zeurkous> and at the same time allow myself to be trusted not to wreak
heavoc as well
[17:30]<zeurkous> let those community n00bs use "227" to protect them from
their own silly infighting
[17:30]<zeurkous> I don't need it, since I don't participate in it
[17:30]<zeurkous> the only reason why I helped to provide a workaround for
that little issue
[17:31]<zeurkous> is 'cause it was brought to my attention
[17:31]<zeurkous> and I figured I knew a way to provide a temp fix...
[17:31]<zeurkous> mutual trust is one thing
[17:31]<zeurkous> but dropping your pants in front of charles darwin screaming
'take me!11!11' is quite another mefigures :x
[17:32]<zeurkous> but meh

Last edited:

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
or why don't you tell the UPTPG team to make a new patch like that, including the fixes?
Because of them its possible that Epic does not want a new ut ("community made") patch anymore.

Here are some thoughts by zeurkous, I don't agree wholeheartedly but here it is:
Seriously, Leo, why do you post something like that? I mean.. its mostly flaming anyway. I dont get why do you waste your energy and time .. to hate that all? Dont tell me you really like that. Hating somebody or something leads only to personal frustration.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
Who cares about Epic's opinion?! All they do is leave the games bugridden and drop support and release more bugridden, even worse - qualitywise WORSE OVERALL products?! Unreal is now being patched by the community because of their pathetic laziness... and so will UT whether they like it or not. Seriously - whoever at Epic is hindering the patching process (as in 227 Mac patch, as in new UT patch) should be told: Either patch it yourselves, or GTFO the way.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Because of them its possible that Epic does not want a new ut ("community made") patch anymore.

Seriously, Leo, why do you post something like that? I mean.. its mostly flaming anyway. I dont get why do you waste your energy and time .. to hate that all? Dont tell me you really like that. Hating somebody or something leads only to personal frustration.
And why would they not want another community patch then? But why not lead it to that team? That patch (451) is on security side only mostly anyway.

blah blah blah blah

I'm not hating. You don't get the point at all. flame doesn't mean hate, it's just getting the point across and I just posted thoughts of zeurkous, which is a person who made this fix with me and provided the original code. And I believe had had a valid point anyway.

And you, specifially, have no idea what this is all about.

Last edited:

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
And why would they not want another community patch then? But why not lead it to that team? That patch (451) is on security side only mostly anyway.
1. Because they would (maybe) like to give an other team a second chance in case they would agree with a ut patch port. In that case I would not say they act like "UTPG failed, no more community patch for ut ever again. Period", rather "UTPG failed, but we would like to see an other (more) professional team who would do a better job". Only my opinion of course, since it would requiere the permission to port the engine patch to ut.
2. .. which kills nearly all mod compatiblity and the unrealed anyway. It maybe half decent for servers, but surely not for clients.

edit: most likely you are right, I dont know all the details. But I dont regret it at all. Its way to troublesome.

@Delacroix: For me "Project Patching Unreal by community" is completly unique. Never heard of such a case, where the community gets access (ok one member) to the source code to patch his/her favorite game with permisson of the developer. Compare it to todays released games, release patches are by far nothing unusual anymore. (yes ok, the amount of possible bugs through increasing code rises with the time)

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
And what about multiple Quake ports with various improvements and whatnot?! The developers of these have access to complete source code... Because the original developer had enough common sense to make the sourcecode public. Okay. So Epic is more... closed within. But why being so goddamn mind-limited? They know they can trust Smirftsch already - he has proven himself, so why THE FRESH HELL do they keep forbidding him do the mac port or the Unreal Tournament patch?! They're just goddamn mindless, as I see it.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
And what about multiple Quake ports with various improvements and whatnot?! The developers of these have access to complete source code... Because the original developer had enough common sense to make the sourcecode public. Okay. So Epic is more... closed within. But why being so goddamn mind-limited? They know they can trust Smirftsch already - he has proven himself, so why THE FRESH HELL do they keep forbidding him do the mac port or the Unreal Tournament patch?! They're just goddamn mindless, as I see it.
Yes, with ID you are right. But I meant it more in that way... that they would not have done it normally. I tried not count developers like ID who released the source by their own. BTW: The thing with ID is of course.. you can use the source, but you may not modify the game or make anything copyrighted by them (afaik that Doom Mod for Quake 3?? was forcefully canceled by ID), as like it happens here with U1.

We have to wait, if something happens with the finishing of 227g and release. Forcing and bashing epic is useless, this will not lead to anything. I know, its annoying. But epic will surely not miss the release of 227g if it will be released specially on mayor sites, like this one here. Afaik the previous patches were released mostly on smaller ones and this upcoming one is surely a big thing.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well, the UTPG patch is good and stable for servers, it just breaks some clientside things (graphical glitches, like even some non maskes things are being masked) but even the UED can be partially patched, but UTPG patches are meant for servers only. The only thing that it broke is phys_spider not working online right for some reason instead it kills the pawn which uses that, but that happens with the bloblets or chameleons, but I don't see how UTPG failed in terms of security, it protects against DoS etc attacks very good. Yeah compared to Nephthys and all and the exploits that exist, it is poor, but that patch is not new at all. Compare it with the times long ago, then Unreal situation was less secure than UT.

As for ID, they allowed modifying their own game, I mean look at sourceports, it is addition to their game, the issue you talk about is something else and means the original content ported to other games which was problematic, not source code or game additions itself.

[]KAOS[]Casey

227 dev
May 17, 2009
California
www.klankaos.com

They just say "don't have the bandwidth to do that" for the port which I assume somewhere translates to legal jargon for a mac port even if "unofficial" which doesn't make sense to me.

As for UT patch? I think it's because UTPG is not liked, iirc Gizzy found 451sux or something on a model of a weapon in UT2k3, so it's possible they don't view 227 as going to be a good patch, since last I asked smirf Epic has only looked at the code of 227a which all of you know is horrible.

.:..:

Apr 11, 2006
Finland
F**K 451
FKShock.JPG

Salamander

Sep 15, 2010
Reading this I have to say:

about "convincing or forcing people to use 227": you are expecting people to help you fixing bugs in most messed version around, in 226f but then you are surprised if people are getting annoyed and telling you again and again that this has been fixed in 227 already yet you are refusing to use it?
What kind of problems do you freaks have?
Isn't enough that it has been fixed? What do you think is the purpose of 227? Turn your f**king brains on, how stupid can one be? To fix the same things again and again just because? You make it better or what? If you are so much better why didn't you?
And this flame of this friend of yours, nice job, what did he do? Can't remember seeing his name somewhere doing actually something helpful.

You don't use it because you experience some mysterious movement glitch you probably just would get used to easily even if it exists?

Then you expect that someone will use your crappy hackpatch, where no one knows whats hidden in there and your history doesn't show you as trustworthy, usually only trolling and complaining, blaming and making accusations.

Yeah...right...

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Reading this I have to say...
I can only salute you for your first post, specially after several posts from the other side its surely good for the developer team to have somebody more on "theire side".
Nevertheless, insulting other people might give them the feeling they are right and you only try find lame arguments. You dont need to do that. Even if it is difficult, try to stick to the facts. ;)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Reading this I have to say:

about "convincing or forcing people to use 227": you are expecting people to help you fixing bugs in most messed version around, in 226f but then you are surprised if people are getting annoyed and telling you again and again that this has been fixed in 227 already yet you are refusing to use it?
What kind of problems do you freaks have?
Isn't enough that it has been fixed? What do you think is the purpose of 227? Turn your f**king brains on, how stupid can one be? To fix the same things again and again just because? You make it better or what? If you are so much better why didn't you?
And this flame of this friend of yours, nice job, what did he do? Can't remember seeing his name somewhere doing actually something helpful.

You don't use it because you experience some mysterious movement glitch you probably just would get used to easily even if it exists?

Then you expect that someone will use your crappy hackpatch, where no one knows whats hidden in there and your history doesn't show you as trustworthy, usually only trolling and complaining, blaming and making accusations.

Yeah...right...
My history? You don't know anything about my history asshat, besides I documented the movement glitch in a video and proved it.

But let me tell you about my history, I supported the game heavily since 2002, helped with various servers, ran servers and made various mods and am still helping around. Sure, I also lost a project or two that I worked on back in the years, but that doesn't change the facts.

I am not blaming and making false acussations, the fact is that I have been involved in various drama across the original Unreal community sure, but I have had my reasons and I stopped some of the most dangerous hackers in the past, or helped to. Have you ever heard of the infamous Klingon clan? Probably you did, because I question who you are anyway...you are just here to make me look stupid, but that's not gonna happen buddy.

Then, recently, I have recovered Unreal PSX and I am working on a full remake/conversion of it, which will be maximally compatible with later Unreal and UT versions, plus supporting coop.

And for my hackpatch, it is not only for 226f/226b but also for 225, the new version, which I haven't put up for download but as I said anyone can pm me for it. The only thing which was changed was StatLogFile class and anyone can examine it, or if you want I can provide you with details.
This hackpatch as you call it is 100 percent safe and I ensured the compatibility with official Unreal versions too.

And most importantly, check out your facts before spewing out that kind of crap at me. I told people to use separate installs at best. 227 is not perfect, but it is a good alternative version for me and it changes a lot of things. But it shouldn't be a rule to overwrite your old installs with it. So, what problem do YOU exactly have?
I AM using 227, to join 227 servers, I said it clearly before, didn't I? On those servers the glitch is not present, it is when you connect with 227 to official versions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.