One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
RHEL is pretty slow with some things. I have used 3,4, and now 5 at work, and had issues with them all, usb storage and printing conflicts with 4-5, and that's with an intel P4 mobo. I run FC12 on my home work station with way less issues and it's on an pretty recent asus server mobo with a xeon 3430 cpu.

RHEL is just so slow to update things, flash player, office 2007 compatability, mplayer, I would never run it as my preferred distro. I always hope the next distro will be better and so far have been disappointed. Only lately has RHEL5 been catching up with useful updates. It's been like that since 2007. Maybe RHEL6 will surprise me. That looks to be at least a year away as they are still many running RHEL4 here.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
RHEL is pretty slow with some things. I have used 3,4, and now 5 at work, and had issues with them all, usb storage and printing conflicts with 4-5, and that's with an intel P4 mobo. I run FC12 on my home work station with way less issues and it's on an pretty recent asus server mobo with a xeon 3430 cpu.

RHEL is just so slow to update things, flash player, office 2007 compatability, mplayer,

That is rather the point of using an Enterprise distribution. It provides a supported but static level of functionality. Bug fixes, security patches and the like come quickly enough but the base level of functionality remains fairly static.

The trade-off is fairly clear - Enterprise - slow evolution of function, very few shiny new toys, stability, stability, stability - Fedora (and similar) - frequent changes, things broken that used to work, lots of shiny new toys, fun, fun, fun.

I enjoy the fun but at work the budgets don't run to allowing me to indulge in firefighting stuff broken by updates. :)

Re: issues - were you running on a qualified platform?

I would never run it as my preferred distro. I always hope the next distro will be better and so far have been disappointed. Only lately has RHEL5 been catching up with useful updates. It's been like that since 2007. Maybe RHEL6 will surprise me. That looks to be at least a year away as they are still many running RHEL4 here.

I certainly don't run RHEL as a desktop distro but it's horses for courses. Most of our servers don't even have X installed so the question of using it for a desktop doesn't arise.

RHEL6 is in beta 2 (go - download it and try it out) and most external observers (Red Hat aren't saying) assume that GA will be sometime in Q4 2010-Q1 2011.

Aside: I recently had cause to use Ubuntu in anger (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=192211) and I was reminded of how good the package management is (especially synaptic). The rpm world still has a way to go (not least in terms of performance).

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Aside: I recently had cause to use Ubuntu in anger (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=192211) and I was reminded of how good the package management is (especially synaptic). The rpm world still has a way to go (not least in terms of performance).

Huh, when I first used Ubuntu after openSUSE, I was very much disappointed with Synaptic and DEBs. I don't really see why people like them anyway - the download speed in openSUSE 11.3 has been optimised so you only download what's needed, and you already had delta patches. And overall there are more RPMs than DEBs around.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, in fact, I'm downloading openSUSE 11.3 as we speak. I already have Fedora 13 and Ubuntu 10.04 installed in VirtualBox, and openSUSE may just be the right linux distro for now. We'll soon see. That's why I virtualize Linux as opposed to dual-booting it, so that way I have a choice among the "big three" distros from within Windows 7. I have Fedora 13, Ubuntu 10.04, and openSUSE 11.3 all under VirtualBox. Of course, openSUSE probably requires more resources to run than the other two, I gave SUSE 20GB virtual HDD space and 1GB RAM, whereas Ubuntu and Fedora both use the default 512MB RAM and 8GB HDD space, which seems to float their boats rather well. All in all, not too shabby.

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
How is OpenSUSE for Linux games? I remember an old copy of it giving away with the Linux version of Q3A from Loki.

I need a real good distro for gaming and Ubuntu is just not cutting it (except for Wine stuff, go figure). Too many missing dependencies and PulseAudio is horrific if you're using intergrated audio (cranking the volume to 100% fixes it most of the time). I like to try Linux Mint Debian in a VM first to see if it's worth switching. Or I can d/l SuperGames and put that on a USB stick...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
OpenSUSE also uses PulseAudio by default. Last time I checked, though, it could run Unreal natively just fine. Ubuntu didn't manage to do that, however (like you've said, through Wine it had more FPS than natively, go figure).

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
I have on VirtualBox the ones specified (Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13, and openSUSE 11.3). However, I'm still curious as far as which of these three is still best for UT2004 and/or UT3 gameplay, should there be better support for UDK/UT3 by the time a linux port was written. To me, I see equal support among all three distros in terms of game support and hardware needed for the OpenGL 3D Acceleration. ATI supports all three that I know of, and I'm pretty sure that most linux gaming communities write the code for both RPM and DEB...but still, I'm not too sure which distro to stick with.

Also, you mentioned that openSUSE uses PulseAudio...I'm pretty sure that Red Hat should have supported gaming a lot better than they do, although it seems like Fedora uses the same sound system Ubuntu uses, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Since this seems to be the only UT3 on Linux thread, here's the latest on my experimenting with Wine...

Had to use Play On Linux since it lets you use older Wine versions which work better for certain games. Installing the BioShock prefix automatically outs in a hacked version of Wine with DInput, DirectX 9 & VirtualC++ 2005 which UE3 needs. Still had to set OverrideMouseWarp to force, but PoL does make setting it easier.

The Steam version I bought doesn't work, so I ran the latest patch which de-Steams it...and it runs! :D

The good news is the game does work with full mouse movement. However, it leaves the mouse pointer on the screen, but it doesn't affect gameplay much as long as you learn to ignore it; it's helpful for leading the target though. :)

A major issue that remains is lack of sound, which never happened before. Not sure if it's from the old version of Wine I'm using, having to install OpenAL or if it's related to the PulseAudio problem I had with native Linux games that I fixed with various hacks.

Once I get everything all sorted out, there will be an official guide posted.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It all comes from Phoronix, which is the Linux rumor mill version of The Enquirer. Still, why would Epic bother finishing UT3 Linux at this point? Port UT4 or, even better, port UDK to Linux.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Linux version of UDK, now that would be sweet.
At least it would show that Epic folks are not exclusively focused on consoles. But somehow I doubt that. They never even bothered putting work into Linux versions of their other games, it was all loaded off on one man.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
It all comes from Phoronix, which is the Linux rumor mill version of The Enquirer.

That's a very cruel thing to say about The Enquirer. :)

Whilst I don't doubt that UT3 on Linux is dead (de facto or de jure - take your pick), on the rumour mill front it's worth noting that there is no direct quote in the article (at least, not using the usual typographical conventions).

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
Who needs linux support if you have iOS support >_>

That's the utterly insane part, though; they've managed to port it to iOS (which is, tech-wise, a very stripped-down version of OSX running on limited hardware) but as far as I've been able to tell there are no UE3 games for OSX itself. Think about that, they've now released UE3 for Windows, Xbox360, PS3, and iOS, but not Linux or OSX? It makes zero sense, unless of course (as has been said, and as far as I know no one at Epic has officially denied) that there's a piece of middleware in UE3 that the licensor doesn't feel comfortable allowing on a non-Microsoft PC platform.

Anyways, I'm going to go back to playing Braid and Osmos on my Linux machines. (I'm sure Osmos looks nice on an iPad, but I'm also sure it's a hell of a lot nicer on my projector run by one of my cost-effective Linux boxes . . . which is partially why I was able to help in how the average Linux payment for the HIB2 is over twice what the average Windows user has paid).