Unreal SP - "Server is already at capacity" Error

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Knave

Dec 28, 1999
Visit site
Okay, so I just got gifted with a previously owned copy of Unreal single player. I have a P2-333 w/128megs, Monster3DII(12 megs) running Windows 95.
I played right out of the box for a few levels then it locked up on me. Probably nothing, but I thought I'd better get the latest patch. Got it (224) and installed it, it deleted all my saved games. Great.
Started over, played for the same three levels. Reached this section where all of a sudden when I restore a saved game I get this error message in a GPF box:

Critical Error

Server is already at capacity.

History: MatchViewportsToActors <- (dig) <- ClientInit <- UGameEngine::LoadMap <-
LoadURL <- UGameEngine::Browse <- ClientTravel <- UGameEngine::Tick <-
UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

...then the game ends. I can restore previous saved games up to a certain point that were saved in that same gaming session, but any new games I save all have this error. I can't go any further, at least not if I want to restore a saved game.

Any help out there?

------------------
-Michael

Gandor

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I wonder if this reply will break any records (nearly 11 years after the question was initially posted). But since I ran into the same problem and had to search around for an answer, I figured I'd post a reply here with the fix I found elsewhere. ;-) Maybe someone else still needs it.
BTW, thanks to user "dinwitty" in the epicgames forums for posting this.
To fix this you need to edit the unreal.ini file in the unreal system folder like this.

Double click the my computer icon on your windows desktop.
Double click the icon for the hard drive where you installed the games (usually C:\).
Double click the folder where the game files are installed.
Double click the system folder.
Double click the icon for the file named Unreal.ini.
If Notepad does not open, select Notepad from the menu opened.
Find the section of this file labeled Engine.Gameinfo.
Find the entry for MaxPlayers.
Change the value next to MaxPlayers from 16 to 32.
Click on file.
Click on save.
Exit notepad.

Hopefully you had already figured this out by now, but there it is. :)

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I wonder if this reply will break any records (nearly 11 years after the question was initially posted). But since I ran into the same problem and had to search around for an answer, I figured I'd post a reply here with the fix I found elsewhere. ;-) Maybe someone else still needs it.
To fix this you need to edit the unreal.ini file in the unreal system folder like this.

Double click the icon for the hard drive where you installed the games (usually C:\).
Click on file.
Click on save.
Exit notepad.

Dude, if someone is inexperienced enough to need that much detail, then you left a lot of stuff out, like when you say "click" you mean left click.

Or were "file" is. lol.

sabs89

Apr 3, 2020

Click on file.
Click on save.
Exit notepad.

I would have to wait a year to break your record :D
Your answer helped me, thank you!