Epic's Mike Capps: We Love PC, But...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
The PC market has changed and so far only Blizzard and S2Games have adjusted to it.

Yep, also VALVe left for consoles ... ..oh wait. ;)

All I can say is that I've heard from reputable sources that UT3 has sold more copies than any previous UT game.

Wasn't that on XBox360, PS3 and PC together, where for example Ut2004 was PC only (several OS included, though).

I just pirated a game for PC and I know it is illegal, but I know I will buy it as soon as it is available outside Korea:
Metal Slug Complete PC I finally wanted to play Metal Slug 6, what can I do? ;) (No, I am not going to buy a console to play it)

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Really now. Piracy again. Go compare Ubisoft and Stardock and then draw your conclusions, Epic. Pirates are not your customers anyway, raising that point is pointless in itself, it's like saying "I won't sell this game because there are people who won't buy it".

GeckoYamori

Apr 27, 2008
I can see it now. A decade from now, console gaming will be "dying", all of the big-name devs have instead moved on to casual, microtransaction-based facebook games, and they'll blame the decline of console gaming on the used games market hurting their sales.

Richteralan

ºØmníºRadium
Feb 6, 2004
Oberlin
Let's skip all the bull****, piracy is a legitimate concern and it hurts the PC gaming market. To think anything is to completely delude yourself.

Epic is completely in the right here. UT3 got pirated a ton. Don't give me the "pirates don't = lost sales" crap either, most people pirate games because they know they can get away with it.

And you people honestly wonder why there is so much DRM on PC games...try closing out uTorrent for awhile and buying game.

look ma it's teh jesus!

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Not really. Ever heard of theft of services, or theft of intellectual property? Property isn't always tangible.
Yes, really. Well, depends on where you live I guess. Over here if people call an illegal copy theft or stealing it means they either play parrot or they are using fighting words to drive their agenda.

Makes sense not to lump them together, too. Different laws, different damage (actual damage vs what-if damage), different punishment, It's just not the same thing.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
They are not really stealing anything, I mean when someone shares a copy is that stealing? Of course not, it is all a lawyer talk anyway and the one who owned the original copy could copy it for his friend or lend it. It is not real stealing.

You wouldn't download a car anyway, so.....

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
I bought UT3 for $50.00.

A mistake I will not make again. Ten years ago if you had told me Epic would be on the list of companies I'd want to avoid, I'd have called you nuts.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Lol.. and you're just as ignorant of a fool for thinking just as closed-mindedly that piracy is the only cause for poor sales.
Nobody is saying that piracy is the only cause, just a very relevant one. Most today's shooters are rehashed crap, so, poor quality is another

However, why would they use DRM in the first place? To create bad will on purpose?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Just a quick comment,

It almost seems as though Epic started going downhill when he came aboard, with his Americas Army Experience. (lets make all our games about war!)
While sometimes he says some stuff wrong, that not related to management. Studios going downhill? That would be id for me. Epic? UE3 is licensed more than UE2 and UE1 (may be even both)? Check. New sub-studios? Check. New IPs? Check. Doing what people expect of them is the only part where they're not successful and that's impossible with lots of people wanting a lot of things.

As far as them (Epic Games) caring about PC, "Actions speak louder than words".
Oh, you speak of releasing an huge free bonuspack and 2 patches a year and a half after the release of the game that only a few people play? Yes, I call that caring about PC. Cause other "caring" studios either would make this a paid DLC or just gave up on the game 6 months after release, just because it went bad.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Given that 'Console Gaming' consists of FIVE platforms, and the PC is only ONE platform, this is a bit of a **** breakdown and poor comparison. You're basically lumping handheld sales in with home consoles, which are more radically different beasts than consoles are to PCs.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Look Ma, it's the voice of reason.
yeah, just wake me up when you guys have reached a sound conclusion :rolleyes:

this thread = lolitics for gamers.
it's one big circular argument for which the only available evidence is presumptuous opinions. it's much akin to which came first; the chicken or the egg?

so I say kids, carry on :p

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Given that 'Console Gaming' consists of FIVE platforms, and the PC is only ONE platform, this is a bit of a **** breakdown and poor comparison. You're basically lumping handheld sales in with home consoles, which are more radically different beasts than consoles are to PCs.
Agreed. Lumping all non-PC games as 1 platform is just bad science
Hell, just saying there's only 5 platforms isn't perfect as PS2/XBox are still getting the occasional game and depending on how you look at it the iPhone/iPodTouch could be viewed as a handheld since there's god know how many games for it

matw

Jul 9, 2003
Adelaide, South Australia
If there was anything that damaged PC Gaming, it was the existing price marketing models. While there will always be those who illegally copy games because they can, high priced games drove more and more people to piracy until eventually it became a culture and a way of life. There will also always be those who do the right thing ...because they have the money.

Publishers, I put it to you: Can you change your price marketing models and give everyone what they want? Alas, it may be too late - you've created a monster and the last thing you'll do is admit it.