StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
12game.com, but I'm not sure if they deliver in the USA. Probably not, since it's a Netherlands-based webshop.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm not in the US anyway. I know one of my local store is giving away 1 beta key with SC2 pre-orders. I figured other stores would do the same. I kind of grew tired with waiting on the beta and I have other occupations meanwhile anyway. I'll just wait for the shelve release.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
DUED PRE ORDRE TEH GAEM 4 UR OWN KYE U MRON LOL

Anyway, I'm kind of suprised Blizzard hasn't released any date yet? They're pretty far in the game anyway, right now it just seems to be more about the Campaign than it is about the rest. Of course they release a patch every week, but the game really should be close to.. getting released?

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I still don't have a beta key. :(

Anybody have one spare?

I have two in my inbox...

Hmm... who should they go to? Should I have a contest? Should I have forum members fight to the death with sticks? Any ideas?

Like TWD said though, I only want to give them to people who will play the game like every day.

TWD probably has two too, so that's FOAR whole keys, I don't even know if that many people here are interested in playing.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
You didn't know they give out keys to people in the Beta to invite other people?

I think I misunderstood though and it's just one really long ass key that takes up two lines. Whoops. :shy:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
TWD probably has two too, so that's FOAR whole keys, I don't even know if that many people here are interested in playing.

I'm certain I'll get some sooner or later, but so far I haven't gotten anything :( I saw people saying they got them a few days ago, so I guess they're still going out.

Seriously though guys you gotta understand how addictive this is for us. I just want to play all the time, but it's so much more fun with a 2v2 partner. It sucks when I am ready to play, and none of my better beta friends are online. If we're going to give you a key you gotta make it worth it!

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Something I made because I had to reinstall the beta and re-patch the whole thing which took quite a while. This should make it faster for anyone caught in the same situation.

StarCraft II Beta Patch 10:
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SWMJ1L2E
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R3CTQ6G0
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0GLE6WNP
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L7H5BEIA

To install:
Download the four part archive and extract it with WinRar or any file extractor compatible with multi-part .rar files.
Put the Updates folder inside the StarCraft II Beta installation directory. It should look like this once it is installed correctly: X:\...\StarCraft II Beta\Updates; and the list of files should be inside the Updates folder.
Run the Blizzard Updater (Double click the StarCraft II.exe file.) It should normally download some .TORRENT and some -component file, but then skip the download process entirely and proceed to the installation, making the updating process much faster than if you were to wait for the P2P download.

This should patch any game version of the english US beta client to patch 10.

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I was not expecting a July release date on this...

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I was not expecting a July release date on this...

One of 2 things could have happened.

A. The game was in development for alot longer than we realize or

B. Activision said release naow and effectively ****ed every chance of this game ever being finished properly.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
One of 2 things could have happened.

A. The game was in development for alot longer than we realize or

B. Activision said release naow and effectively ****ed every chance of this game ever being finished properly.

In a recent interview, Dustin Browder said he hadn't spoken to an Activision employee in several months, and he's lead designer. I highly doubt the release has anything to do with the grip of Activision. All this talk about Activision screwing up Blizzard's games is becoming a bit annoying.

My view on this: Multiplayer is pretty solid, better than SC1/WC3/most other games are at release. Campaign should be about done, considering the time they've had already. Is it so impossible that the game will simply be ready for release come July?

Starcraft 1 was never truly balanced until some years into its life (1.08 patch). SC2 is pretty damn near that level of balance and it's not even released yet.

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The game is certainly polished enough to be released. The issue is that a lot of people in the community have issues with some of the design decisions. The complaints focus largely around the spawn larvae macro mechanics, and the Zerg race in general. They're simply saying it's not ready yet in the vain hope that these things will be changed, when it's clear that Blizzard is completely happy with how it turned out.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
The game is certainly polished enough to be released. The issue is that a lot of people in the community have issues with some of the design decisions. The complaints focus largely around the spawn larvae macro mechanics, and the Zerg race in general. They're simply saying it's not ready yet in the vain hope that these things will be changed, when it's clear that Blizzard is completely happy with how it turned out.

Zerg is a bit weird yes, but keep in mind they still have a month of beta time, and even then more than a month before they need to finalize the game if they keep this release schedule. 2 Months should be more than enough to patch the game into perfect state. Also, patches post-release are not out of the question.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Zerg is a bit weird yes, but keep in mind they still have a month of beta time, and even then more than a month before they need to finalize the game if they keep this release schedule. 2 Months should be more than enough to patch the game into perfect state. Also, patches post-release are not out of the question.

Sure, but these are only going to be small balance changes. The people I'm talking about want a new unit for the Zerg, or a complete overhaul of some of the most basic mechanics.

What's wrong with the zerg mechanics? I think they work quite well.

The main complaint with the Zerg macro mechanic is that it's unforgiving. The terran/protoss abilities can be saved up. So if you forget to use your mule it's ok, just use it later. With the Zerg once you've missed a spawn larvae opportunity it's gone. It basically forces you to return to your base every 30 seconds and use it. If you don't you're at a disadvantage to a Zerg player that does.