TWD's path to legal citizenship

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Also, you forgot "Learn English". I hate how people expect us to cater to their foreign tongue. I wouldn't move to China and expect everyone to know English... or any other country whose primary language is not my own.
Unfortunately that mentality gets deemed "bigoted" quite a bit and can easily be turned around by someone stating "Well why aren't you speaking Cherokee(or other native langauage)

I agree tho. Many other countries expect me to understand their national language, not the other way around
I go to Mexico, people will expect me to speak Spanish. Go to Russia, Russian. Etc, etc.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Unfortunately that mentality gets deemed "bigoted" quite a bit and can easily be turned around by someone stating "Well why aren't you speaking Cherokee(or other native langauage)
At least with this argument, you can say that there was no global native language in the Americas. I lived on a reservation and met with people from two native tribes, and even common pleasantries in their languages are pretty different. Regardless of how things were, we live in a country that is English speaking, so knowing a reasonable amount of English should be a requirement to citizenship.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
That's true, there wasn't a single native tongue in NorthAmerica when Europeans came over
My place of work annoys me sometimes. Out of the 10 guys not in the office or bosses I'm one of 3 white guys, the rest are mexican. 2 barely speak English(I'm not even sure if 1 even understands english) but the other 5 speak it pretty well

1 guy that worked there last year couldn't speak or understand english at all

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Argh.gif

ZOINKS!

Last edited:

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
we live in a country that is English speaking

Except that you live in a country that is English, Spanish, Cantonese, French, German, Italian, Hawaiian... etc.-speaking. I like how you guys argue against central government all the time, except when you favour an official language solution that doesn't even exist.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Except that you live in a country that is English, Spanish, Cantonese, French, German, Italian, Hawaiian... etc.-speaking. I like how you guys argue against central government all the time, except when you favour an official language solution that doesn't even exist.
No, we don't.

Having clusters of people who don't know how to speak English doesn't make us a country that speaks more than just English. A person simply cannot function properly in this country without knowing English, and lack of English skills will only cause a person more problems as they try to integrate with society.

Never mind the fact that immigration is handled federally already.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I'm ok if they live here and they can't speak English. What bothers me is when they've lived here for several years and still can't speak English. What really gets me is when they want school to be in Spanish. Being bilingual is awesome, and you're a complete idiot to pass up that opportunity.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Having clusters of people speak more than just English does, however, which was my very point.
I'm not talking about multi-lingual people. Tons of people in every nation are multi-lingual and that is great. Learning other languages is awesome.

But the US should have every form available in every language on Earth because people that live here speak them all. The understanding should be that every person living in America can communicate in the language that everyone in America should be able to speak: English.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
You're just afraid that within a few generations the 'official' language for your country will change into Spanglish ... just like your current 'English' is the result of all of the immigrants that originally came to your country.

Besides ... to an immigrant their mother tongue is one of the few bits of culture they have left. Such things won't disappear within a single generation, unless you outlaw the use of any foreign language (like some countries did in the past).

Where's the proof that they really can't speak or understand English?
Maybe they simply are choosing to ignore you ...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I already said I don't cvare about multi-lingual people, and they can do whatever they want. I'm saying that the government/businesses shouldn't be required to cater to people who don't want to learn English. If you live here, learn English.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
There is nothing wrong with having everyone speak the same language. Yes, it bad if you mandate it, but at the same time having Spanish speaking(the example here don't give me **** for using it) running around that can't speak English and refuse to do so is a very bad thing when it comes to simple communication. Someone has to learn the others language and it shouldn't be the guy that is already here, but the guy coming in. I don't see how all of a sudden immigrants are the ones that don't have to adjust to where they are moving to but people already there. That IS just backwards. It should be simple logic why that should be that way.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Spanish and English are the two most dominant languages in the US and many people, myself included, know both.

But it's pretty simple: there's got to be one language that every citizen in a country should know. It's important to be able to communicate with fellow countrymen and it's incredibly inefficient to have to print everything in multiple languages.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
But it's pretty simple: there's got to be one language that every citizen in a country should know. It's important to be able to communicate with fellow countrymen and it's incredibly inefficient to have to print everything in multiple languages.

So... you're saying you should compromise, and all learn french?

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
There's an upside to doing things like routinely printing materials in multiple languages, though. For example, hal your English is all too impeccable so I'll consider the assumption safe that you learned English natively and Spanish secondarily—and, I'd bet you would attest to your mastery of English having been reinforced significantly as a direct result of adding Spanish to your linguistic palette. And I'll even venture a further guess that perhaps for fun, from there you may have dabbled in learning bits of other languages too—for example after learning Spanish in school, in a fit of nerdy curiosity I began to pick at French for awhile, and I found that in addition to the third language being easier to pick up than the second, it added even further dimension to what I knew of Spanish and English.

To the point, then, all along the way what little I have learned has been aided by engaging those languages using little everyday things, such as, say, reading the electric bill in Spanish, or some signage in French, just for the exercise. On its face it does seem like an inefficiency having those languages out there, but I'd argue that long-term it's actually well worth it—even for purely self-serving reasons, never mind for accommodating non-English speakers.

So, I'd say calling English the primary official language isn't a bad idea, and agree with making basic proficiency in it a prerequisite for immigration, but I'd hope we don't fall into the thinking that instituting English should be done to the exclusion of secondary languages in official and practical usage.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That's a fair enough argument and I'd agree that knowing a second language makes knowing a third even easier. A side benefit is a better understanding of language as a whole. Still, you have to establish at least one common language that citizens MUST understand because you'll always have people coming from non-english and non-spanish speaking countries.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
They pay double the taxes for 10 years, and no credits for having kids.

OMG. It could actually work.

Edit: Evey one needs to read/speak the language of a countrys constitution. Nuf Said.

Last edited:

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
No, we don't.

Having clusters of people who don't know how to speak English doesn't make us a country that speaks more than just English. A person simply cannot function properly in this country without knowing English, and lack of English skills will only cause a person more problems as they try to integrate with society.

Never mind the fact that immigration is handled federally already.

How (or who else) else should handle immigration... the states? That's just fricken silly. Will immigrants have to immigrate into each & every state?