TWD's path to legal citizenship

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Well immigration reform probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. However, people were protesting about it this past week, and I figure that's reason enough to bring it up. So here's my path to legal citizenship.

Travel back to your country of origin.
Work through your local embassy to get legal status.
Come back.
Congratulations! You are now legal.

This of course assumes that we reform our system to make it easy to immigrate legally. Not only should the process be easy, but it should be cheap. No more waiting months and months to get denied, and no more forcing legal immigrants to hire lawyers to get around the crappy system.

Now you might say "it's not fair to ask them to go all the way back". I call BS. It's not that hard for them to get here. I mean thousands upon thousands have done it. I've personally known people to get deported, and I'll see them the next day. Being legal could mean higher wages. It would be more than worth it to go back if you knew for sure you'd be legal within a few months. The government wouldn't have to foot the bill for an amnesty program, and we would still have control over who can get in.

Once we have good and fair immigration laws we can focus on actually enforcing them. The problem right now is that immigrants have nothing to lose. The worst that could happen is you get deported and have to try again. Perhaps they would think twice if they knew it meant prison time.

Last edited:

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
At 1/10th the cost of the stimulus, a fence could have been built and immigration laws enforced to create 8 million some jobs. (many in construction)

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
This of course assumes that we reform our system to make it easy to immigrate legally. Not only should the process be easy, but it should be cheap. No more waiting months and months to get denied, and no more forcing legal immigrants to hire lawyers to get around the crappy system.

This is the real problem, though, isn't it? That's like saying I know the best way have free electricity: this of course assumes that we have invented cold fusion.

How do you make the process cheap and quick and not needing YEARS of time and effort and money?

The worst that could happen is you get deported and have to try again. Perhaps they would think twice if they knew it meant prison time.

Yeah, because honest people who are so desperate they are willing to work long hard hours for low prices are like thieves and rapists. Also, our prison system needs more inmates because it is currently too empty.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Every country intentionally makes immigration difficult so that only serious people will do it.

What I think is dumb is that you can get a green card, work here for four years and then be deported at the drop of a hat. That is where real change could happen.

Also, you forgot "Learn English". I hate how people expect us to cater to their foreign tongue. I wouldn't move to China and expect everyone to know English... or any other country whose primary language is not my own.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
At 1/10th the cost of the stimulus, a fence could have been built and immigration laws enforced to create 8 million some jobs. (many in construction)

You really think a fence would protect the border? the USSR tried that in east Germany, and it was a no-go, even with constant patrols and minefields, it did not stop people defecting to the west, ergo the need to construct the Berlin wall, which despite it's name, was not just a wall, it was a 50 meter wide kill zone full of alarmfences, minefields, pillboxes, searchlights, flaretraps, gun traps, razorwire and all other kinds of nasty things, and it had to be manned and patrolled tightly at all times, and still it was not foolproof, many people found a way, but it took that much to even stem the tide.

Now aside from the moral implications of the USA creating their own version of the Berlin wall, what do you think a system like that would cost to run? the cost of personnel alone would be staggering..

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Well immigration reform probably isn't going to happen anytime soon. However, people were protesting about it this past week, and I figure that's reason enough to bring it up.
Please assure me that you're not being inspired even the slightest by my recent anti-Islam rants here

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think whether or not a wall would work is irrelevant. The idea is to eliminate the desire to immigrate illegally in the first place. Enforcing rules could help, but providing incentive to just wait till you can do it legally is better in my opinion.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I think that people fleeing for their lives for whatever reason to try and get a better future for themselves or their children will be dissuaded with an immigration reform. Oh those insidious immigrants.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Sounds great, but the streamlining of the immigration process is probably one of the smallest problems here.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
Once we have good and fair immigration laws we can focus on actually enforcing them. The problem right now is that immigrants have nothing to lose. The worst that could happen is you get deported and have to try again. Perhaps they would think twice if they knew it meant prison time.

Which is cheaper, deportation or prison, I will bet deportation is much much cheaper. Not much of a deterent there. The federal statutes hold trump over any state laws regarding immigration, so the Congress would need to pass new legislation. Since there are already unenforced laws there is no reason to believe any new ones would be enforced except around election time, and that's just for show.

Obviously, hiring illegals is illegal, but currently it's not really enforced. I drive past a gas station every morning with day laborers hanging out and waiting for the lawn and landscapers to pick them up for work. This is illegal, but uninforced. Again, laws do not mean anything if they are unenforced.

The only way to minimize illegals is to enforce the laws against hiring them. If there were enough fines and penelties for the employers they would stop hiring them. No jobs means many fewer illegals.

hi-ban

"Building Better Worlds"
Nov 1, 2005
LV-426
well, i suggest making an (unreal) tournament. The one who wins will get legal nationality.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
i saw the title of this thread and thought it was going to be about TWD taking his U.S. Citizenship test...