Mass Effect 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
In such situations I would normally use the widowmaker and geth pulse rifle, along with reave. The companions are a bit useless, especially against the Mech at the very end of the level. >_>

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Sjosz, you have the game on the PC version, right? Have you going through the coalesced.ini file and increasing max shadow resolution from 1024 to 8192? And then increasing the number of cinematic lights from 3 to 8? I get some pretty sick, realistic character shadows especially when I'm in the middle of an interactive cinematic.

I'll post some screenies later, but I'm wondering why BioWare didn't just increase the number of cinematic lights for the PC version... These shadows look really truly real and help the cinematic experience of Mass Effect2, which is kinda one of the big points of playing a Mass Effect game.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Sjosz, you have the game on the PC version, right? Have you going through the coalesced.ini file and increasing max shadow resolution from 1024 to 8192? And then increasing the number of cinematic lights from 3 to 8? I get some pretty sick, realistic character shadows especially when I'm in the middle of an interactive cinematic.

I'll post some screenies later, but I'm wondering why BioWare didn't just increase the number of cinematic lights for the PC version... These shadows look really truly real and help the cinematic experience of Mass Effect2, which is kinda one of the big points of playing a Mass Effect game.

I primarily play it on my 360 at home, but I have both versions and I run most of my tests at work on PC.
With regards to cinematic lights, as far as I know (and I don't really know, as this falls outside my direct field of work on the game) the limitation of the amount of cinematic lights (and supposedly the shadow resolutions) has to do with performance of the game on Xbox360.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Also, is there any way to increase draw distance on shadows? Don't get me wrong, I love Mass Effect 2 but it's a small annoyance to be running forward in a gunfight and then suddenly seeing a shadow appear on a box to either the left or right side of Command Shepard... It kinda detracts from the experience, you know? Maybe I'm just prone to spotting details, but think of it this way: You're on alert, trigger-ready and then a shadow suddenly appears on a box. You instinctively move your mouse towards that box thinking that an enemy had suddenly appeared, but NO! It's just a shadow that appears because of a specific integer value in some INI configuration file somewhere... Ok I might be overblowing it but that's my gripe.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Also, is there any way to increase draw distance on shadows? Don't get me wrong, I love Mass Effect 2 but it's a small annoyance to be running forward in a gunfight and then suddenly seeing a shadow appear on a box to either the left or right side of Command Shepard... It kinda detracts from the experience, you know? Maybe I'm just prone to spotting details, but think of it this way: You're on alert, trigger-ready and then a shadow suddenly appears on a box. You instinctively move your mouse towards that box thinking that an enemy had suddenly appeared, but NO! It's just a shadow that appears because of a specific integer value in some INI configuration file somewhere... Ok I might be overblowing it but that's my gripe.

I wouldn't know, honestly. The fact that your big gripes revolve around shadow resolutions, cinematic lights and the occasional popping in of an object's shadow is enjoyable to hear though. (as they are minor things)
I understand what you mean, I don't know what can be done about it, sorry. :)

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
But you can change it up to 3. It's just for performance that they don't let people increase it further? Because all the schmoes would be complaining that the game performs badly and is ****.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
One of the defining features of Mass Effect 1 for PC is that it was scaled so well for the PC version. You could do a lot of things on the PC version, push it to its limits, play around with console commands that you couldn't do on the XBOX360 counterpart. Heck, even the hacking mini-games were different to be tailored for the PC version.

Still, the sequel has proven to outperform Mass Effect 1 in many respects. A little boost here and there for the PC version would've been appreciated.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Patch 1.01 is out.

http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-patches

* Fixed video hitching and crashes related to single core machines.
* Single core users may experience short periods of black screen that may last up a few seconds between level loads, cinematic transitions or movies.
* In rare cases, some single core users may notice dialog lines in certain conversations may be delayed up to a few seconds.
* Fixed an issue where it appears ammunition can be picked up, but can't.
* Fixed an issue where all Codex entries were marked as 'viewed', even if the player chose not to view them.
* Fixed an issue where weapon icons are re-organized after downloadable content is used.
* Fixed an issue where pressing F9 after the mission completion screen reset Shepard to Level 1.
* Fixed an issue where remapping the right mouse button blocks camera control in the command HUD.
* Fixed an issue where remapping the 'use' command affects the decryption minigame.
* Fixed an issue where users were not prompted to restart when logging in to a different EA Online account.
* Fixed an issue where movies do not play in DLC.
* It is recommended that players reset their keyboard mapping to default values to ensure proper vehicle control.
* Added useful messaging during the ME1 save game import.
* Weapon icon for henchmen never changes from Collector Assault Rifle.
* Czech language - Issues with Czech localization (subtitles) were amended, all text was corrected and improved.
* Fixed an issue where the Mass Effect 2 launcher was being associated with files that have no extension.
* Fixed an issue where uninstalling the game under Windows Vista or Windows 7 might uninstall Mass Effect 1.

Also, if you have a modified coalesced.ini, back that sh*t up. The patch will overwrite it.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
lol @ the "my ****ing damn fish keep dying" tag. :lol:
that was me.
and it's true.

my fish keep f*ckin' dying on me.

at first I didn't know you had to feed them at all, so my first set died pretty quick. after I noticed that they could be fed, I did so a couple times. but I still didn't realize that you have to feed them like every single time you're on the Normandy or they go belly-up.

then I finally learned that if you sex up your secretary (Kelly? Kellie?) she will offer to feed your fish for you. which is why I am now trying to get that bitch in the sack as quickly as the game will let me.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
I had a nice dinner date with Kelly, she offered to feed my fish for me, I said thanks.
Came back after the next mission, and she'd killed all my goddamn fish. :mad:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Mass Effect 2 FireWalker DLC Announced

[screenshot]http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/8510/screenshot102ok.jpg[/screenshot]

Nice. As far as I can tell this is free for people who bought the game new and have a membership code thingy for the "Cerberus network". I wish that bull**** wasn't in the game to begin with, but you know... it's kind of nice to be getting something out of it. :shy:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Nice. As far as I can tell this is free for people who bought the game new and have a membership code thingy for the "Cerberus network". I wish that bull**** wasn't in the game to begin with, but you know... it's kind of nice to be getting something out of it. :shy:

Correct. The DLC is free of charge for anyone who has Cerberus Network access.