UE1 - UT Want to try 3ds Max in an old PC for UT99... sadly!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
What I would like to know is where I can get a download of an older 3ds Max program for a PC with 1.15 Ghz processor, 512 MB of Ram running WinXP that can export to the Unreal .3d format.

Yeah, believe it or not, I'm running on a PC older than UT99 and I mod for that game a lot but I need 3ds max. What I really need is the best version that can run in those specs and can export to the unreal .3d format but I can't find the version I remember seeing back then. All I can remember is that a lot of people that made models for UT99 were made with 3ds Max5.1 or 3ds Max 6.0. So, if you mod or modded for the legacy game, please recommend the right version and a download link that I can use since I can't find one. TY!

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
You shouldn't ask for warez.

3ds max can use the ActorX plugin that can export PSA and PSK which can be compiled by UT99. Either pull it from juarez with some trojans or buy it.

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Any version of 3ds you download will just run on the 30 day trial, and you're right the newer versions would die on the hardware you're talking about, so that's pretty much what you're stuck with unless you can find someone who'll sell you a license for the old version. There are plenty of places you can download the old versions, google is your friend:

Installers for (trials) of version 5 through 9: http://files.modacity.net/software/3dsmax/

3ds doesn't deal with unreal formats natively so that's why you'll need ActorX, so Pyronious wasn't being unhelpful, you still need to get it if you want to export to PSA or PSK.

Btw I've run 3dsmax6 on a 1.4GHz P4 in the past and it was usable, although "quick" wouldn't be appropriate.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I knew about ActorX for many years but I don't need it since I can't set materials to translucent, masked, modulated, etc. For that, I need the actual .3d format since what I'm doing is for UT99 with modified faces in the mesh that can be done with UnrealFX. Also, psk/psa != _a.3d/_d.3d which is what meshes in ut were imported with anyway and is what I need and is why I asked for it "SPECIFICALLY". But thanks anyway.

All I need is to see if 3ds can do what I need and of course that requires the trial version. I really doubt a modder that isnt making any money out of his mods would buy a $2000 program like that rofl.

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
i ran 3ds max 2009 on a pentium 4 1.8 Ghz with 1 GB memory :)
"but I don't need it since I can't set materials to translucent, masked, modulated, etc."

yes you can, actorX fabricates an UC file wich is needed for import, and after the
"#EXEC import texture blabla" line you can add FLAGS(or FLAG, not sure)=Masked (or anything else).

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
All I need is to see if 3ds can do what I need and of course that requires the trial version. I really doubt a modder that isnt making any money out of his mods would buy a $2000 program like that rofl.

There's an acedemic license which was around 300 quid when I got it, that was a while ago though although I believe they still do that version.

EDIT: Looks like the price has come down more: http://www.softwareparadise.co.uk/products/3DS_MAX_9_Student_Edition_CD though don't know how you'd fare looking for older version licenses.

Last edited: