Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Plasmadaemon

Jan 20, 2008
‘I love you to bits.’

3cb180c7beb3000dafc7aaa309910138.png

e5cf841f416058293202e3eb6f457407.png

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
I love that shot, BBA, and Plasmadaemon's idea is great!

The German president (first shot) was just over at my university, where we did our usual protest routine, and I managed to snap some photos:

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2595/4152219249_07a43bb171_b.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2631/4152220427_5b12d681e1_b.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4152221887_6c857081e3_b.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Last edited:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Was that Volcan Mombacho by any chance, since you were in that area? I hiked up it with my bro a couple years ago. Just as beautiful on the way up as around the top. :tup:
It was actually about 2-3 hours inland from Managua, and probably about the same from masaya. Dozens of miles away from the nearest town/settlement. Took a ride through a dried up riverbed to get there, and a 1973 Ford diesel tractor took us up the mountain. People sitting all over the tractor, on the engine, the wheel wells.. the tires didn't even have air in them cause they didn't have an air compressor so it was filled with water instead. Definitely an amazing experience :). a couple of the group hiked up instead of riding on the tractor after it slipped a couple times, and Ive never seen people more sweaty/dehydrated after they made it up.

Damn that was a long post cursed_soul, good points though. I'm just starting to realize how much amazing art there is from centuries ago..

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I have never worked with this rule myself, I only found out half a year ago what it really meant.
Does this mean allmost all of my photo's from before that period where suck?
no, you're not listening.

I said the rule is there as a guideline, or as an easy trick that people can use if they don't already exhibit their own natural ability to recognize what makes for good framing and composition. some people just don't possess that photographer's "eye" and need some kind of yardstick that they can rely on to help correct this.
Painters of history?
Uhm.. yesterday is history?
arent there any painters besides the ones "from history" ?
there are also the painters for the future.. and the painters of history will always have some sort of influences in our futures.
you're going to have to re-word what you have typed here.
I don't know what you're trying to say or what point you're trying to make. your train of thought is all broken up.

I think you're afraid that I'm ignoring great artists of recent and/or current history.
if that's what you're saying, then you're still incorrect. keep reading...
Also you are right some of the painters used boring compostions, but with so many painters there will always be someone that can inspire you..
so you're agreeing with me?
I never said that there aren't any painters out there who can't inspire you. I only said that it can be misleading to reference new/inexperienced photographers to study painted artwork, being that each medium has become so different.
You should spend some time on getting deeper into art.. visit a local museum for instance.
you assume I don't know anything about art?
you assume I don't visit the St. Louis Art Museum at least once a year? or that I wouldn't visit the art and history museums of other cities I've traveled to? that I haven't spent days lost in the Art Institute of Chicago or the Field?

please don't patronize me :)
Triangle-composition, Symmetric/asymmetric composition, Horizontal/vertical/diagonal/central composition, geometric shaped composition, ritmic composition, open composition, closed composition, lineperspective, atmoschpheric perspective compostion..
words cannot express how impressed I am with your vocabulary of terms for different compositions. really, I'm blown away.
dont only yell "Da vinci" or "Van gogh" just because they are famous. there have been 10000's of painters all having their own style.
Jackson Pollock, andy Warhol, Michaelangelo (was also an architect), Peter Paul Rubens.. want more?
but you never specified anything about who you would be referencing.
you just said "look at painters" or something. that could mean anyone and anything, so I just fired off a few recognizable names as people who were both considered great artists and who often utilized boring composition.
Even though their compositions might be outdated they are still respected
I never said they weren't.
The painters where the first photographers and their vision should not be neglected.
I never said it shouldn't be.
Also understanding different "rules" besides the rule of thirds can always accompany you and help you out when the rule of thirds cannot be used or just does not fit the theme of what you are going for.
agreed.
but the original point of discussion was about Thirds as it applies to photography in general. I never meant to apply it so specifically as to suggest that it's the only rule one should be following.
Remember your kindergardenteacher or your parents telling you to draw within the lines?
That was the moment your creativity got shoved aside.
Paint frikking outside the lines if you want to.
lol, ok.
Do not follow the rules, but only do so if you understand the rules.
So even not following the rules can be a rule to some artists.
:lol: ok see you're getting a little too existential with this debate.

I never said that people shouldn't be creative and experimental and live outside the box. AGAIN, my only little point was that the Thirds rule is an important tool to help inexperienced/new photographers recognize what separates a run-of-the-mill picture from a more compelling one.

that's it.

Last edited:

m00naY

May 21, 2008
Texas
no, you're not listening.

I said the rule is there as a guideline, or as an easy trick that people can use if they don't already exhibit their own natural ability to recognize what makes for good framing and composition. some people just don't possess that photographer's "eye" and need some kind of yardstick that they can rely on to help correct this.
you're going to have to re-word what you have typed here.
I don't know what you're trying to say or what point you're trying to make. your train of thought is all broken up.

I think you're afraid that I'm ignoring great artists of recent and/or current history.
if that's what you're saying, then you're still incorrect. keep reading...
so you're agreeing with me?
I never said that there aren't any painters out there who can't inspire you. I only said that it can be misleading to reference new/inexperienced photographers to study painted artwork, being that each medium has become so different.
you assume I don't know anything about art?
you assume I don't visit the St. Louis Art Museum at least once a year? or that I wouldn't visit the art and history museums of other cities I've traveled to? that I haven't spent days lost in the Art Institute of Chicago or the Field?

please don't patronize me :)
words cannot express how impressed I am with your vocabulary of terms for different compositions. really, I'm blown away.
but you never specified anything about who you would be referencing.
you just said "look at painters" or something. that could mean anyone and anything, so I just fired off a few recognizable names as people who were both considered great artists and who often utilized boring composition.
I never said they weren't.
I never said it shouldn't be.
agreed.
but the original point of discussion was about Thirds as it applies to photography in general. I never meant to apply it so specifically as to suggest that it's the only rule one should be following.
lol, ok.
:lol: ok see you're getting a little too existential with this debate.

I never said that people shouldn't be creative and experimental and live outside the box. AGAIN, my only little point was that the Thirds rule is an important tool to help inexperienced/new photographers recognize what separates a run-of-the-mill picture from a more compelling one.

that's it.

Pictures ??? Examples ???

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
no pictures or examples are necessary.
he didn't provide any for making his case, so neither did I. our discussion doesn't really require it.

also Jackal is right, I don't help threads.
if you look back, you'll notice I haven't posted a single picture in this thread nor have I provided anyone with feedback.
yup, just like my buddy Jackal, all I do here is sometimes be on topic, ask questions about cameras, and other times accuse people of trolling when in fact that's all I am doing myself.

Last edited:

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I have never worked with this rule myself, I only found out half a year ago what it really meant.
Does this mean almost all of my photo's from before that period where suck?

You do not have to know or understand what the rule is to use it. Recognizing how to compose a photo so it looks aesthetically pleasing and emotionally arousing is an art form. Looking at your recent photos you are using the rule of thirds on almost all of your shots. If what you say about the rule/guideline is true, then you are following it without even knowing.

I can provide image break downs of how the rule has been applied to your work if you would like.

There are a lot of rules/guidelines out there. You don't have to use all of them, but when applied correctly you can turn an ordinary photo opportunity into a fantastic photo. This is something I am quite certain nobody can dispute.

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com

(dont worry I read it)
I tend to "Brabble" when I just get out of bed.
I really noticed that I cannot make any sense of myself when I am just awake.
Getting into an interesting topic/thread/forumpost the moment I wake up is something on my "Dont-do-that-when-you-just-got-out-of-bed-list"

Will try to rephrase that long post into a few sentences in a few days or so.
Will also respond to others then, because for now.. I am off to "mr Oizo" and will be back monday-ish.

And to stay OT,
Something experimental:

c29f7967b697bb1ca042f01882af9bfe.jpg

Soulwax

Amberlamps
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Some photo's from my 2008 trip to the Ardennes (The less urban part of Belgium)
Nothing fancy. Some editing was done in Picasa.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i45.tinypic.com/zlx7o5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i46.tinypic.com/125jg5l.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i47.tinypic.com/24zllqt.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i50.tinypic.com/14ne1eh.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
Those are bulletholes, still there after 65 years.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
So...I wanted to contribute to this thread.

Please excuse the quality, its a terrible cell phone camera.

So heres a random lake in VA,
LakeBraddock.jpg

...and heres a pic of the block in the meat room that I work at.

1125091648.jpg

Vinny wouldn't shut up so we had to shut him up.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Not posted any shots here for ages, but I've just spent a happy 30 minutes looking back through the thread at what people have posted here....some cracking work.

Haven't had much time for landscapes over the summer, but here's a bit of what I have managed to shoot.

30 second exposure on a beach in south western Portugal. Last light of the day on the rocks. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 17-35mm @ 17mm
algarve54.jpg

This is an experiment with high ISO. It was pitch black in the field, I couldn't see a thing, just the vague shadows of the trees. The high ISO, combined with wide aperture and long shutter absorbed far more light than the human eye could see. That's the Andromeda galaxy you can see, and the orange light is the ambient glow from a village about 5km away. The light on the left side is the ambient glow of the moon.
(ISO 1600, f2.8, 20 sec) Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 17-35mm @ 17mm.
alentejo1.jpg

Last light of the day between two peaks picks out the village of Castelluccio in Umbria, central Italy. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 80-400mm @ 400mm
land30.jpg

West coast of Portugal at sunset. Needed a more dramatic sky than this to be honest, so I need to go back and shoot it again when there's a storm or something. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 17-35mm @ 17mm
algarve5.jpg

The forests in the hills of Andalucia, Spain in a rainstorm with clouds swirling through them. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 80-400mm @ 400mm
land7k.jpg

Capello di Vitaleta in Tuscany just before sunrise with dawn mist swirling around it. I set up my tripod, filtered the sky to hold back the bright light there and waited for the mist to clear from infront of the chapel. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 80-400mm @ 80mm
land3.jpg

As I said, I haven't had much time for landscapes this summer, but I've ended up doing loads of wedding work. I didn't use to be interested in that sort of photography, but it's starting to grow on me actually. It's incredibly challenging to do it well so respect to anyone who does that. Might post some shots here, but that's more 007 Mike's area and my shots will look terrible compared with his.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
This is an experiment with high ISO. It was pitch black in the field, I couldn't see a thing, just the vague shadows of the trees. The high ISO, combined with wide aperture and long shutter absorbed far more light than the human eye could see. That's the Andromeda galaxy you can see, and the orange light is the ambient glow from a village about 5km away. The light on the left side is the ambient glow of the moon.
(ISO 1600, f2.8, 20 sec) Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 17-35mm @ 17mm.
alentejo1.jpg

That is really amazing! Great shot! :eek:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
West coast of Portugal at sunset. Needed a more dramatic sky than this to be honest, so I need to go back and shoot it again when there's a storm or something. Nikon D3 w/ Nikkor 17-35mm @ 17mm
algarve5.jpg

Any chance you have this at a high resolution (with watermark or without, don't care) that I could use for my desktop? I've been looking for something soft and this one looks like it'd be pretty awesome.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
As I said, I haven't had much time for landscapes this summer, but I've ended up doing loads of wedding work. I didn't use to be interested in that sort of photography, but it's starting to grow on me actually. It's incredibly challenging to do it well so respect to anyone who does that. Might post some shots here, but that's more 007 Mike's area and my shots will look terrible compared with his.

Which is why i wont be posting any landscape photos LOL! Excellent work. Post production work is top notch. I'd like me a D3 and a few of your lenses please :)