Unreal Development Kit Announced!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Have a look at the light actors. Not all lights are causing these sharp shadows. The most lights in Deck are simple light actors like those we know from previous engine builds, they won't produces soft-shadows.

Right, I'll get on that. :)

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I still have to understand how lightmass work. The shadow definition is simply unbelievable for the filesize - no previous lighting builds could get close to it.

The thing is, it doesn't seem to work here. When I looked at DM-Deck for the lightmap resolution, I figured it had nothing to do with it, since it was set to 32.

Basically, it works just fine on meshes, not on bsp..

[screenshot]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1050/whyyyyyyy.png[/screenshot]

What am I doing wrong? :B

It's the dominant lights that cast the special shadows, I believe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah I just got that now. There's miss-alignment with the shadows right there (even after production build), but I suspect that lightmass really don't appreciate bsp cornering. Also, it seems that there's no way to edit Ambient Occlusion from the post processing settings. Other than on/off.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Royalties are spot on. Dev w/ the UDK and when the time comes if you think you've got a sure-fire winner then buy the normal license. You'll get source access and official support to give it that extra polish. Otherwise this a a great low-risk opportunity for devs to use an engine that very well may have been out of reach or explore making games outside the typical "safe zone".

thinsoldier

Jul 30, 2008
Is it possible to copy files from my ut3 install and utilize them in udk or the udk ut3 demo (like the rest of the weapons and vehicles?)

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Not legally. (Unless you NEVER release it... or you release it after you remove all of Epic's stuff.)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ok. I'm literally in love with Lightmass. It's official.
This made me want to mess around with the editor for a few... extra hours.

Odedge

Keeper of Tutorials
May 26, 2009
www.odedge.com
Its not really helping the "modding" community in anyway, more like helping the indie community. UDK is completely seperate from UT3.

It does help the "modding" community as you can essentially make your own game and eventually sell it. I think the problem with most TC mods is their based on having a specific game. If this specific game is continually played (like Counter Strike), you can probably take your time and finish the mod.

Most mods never even release a working version of it, which is why I never look forward to mods in development, only one's that are actually playable.

With the UDK, even if it takes 3 years to make the mod, if it's fun to play, you don't have to worry about an existing community, you basically create your own (which is a challenge in itself).

I won't be using the new editor much as I don't see myself making maps for a mod/new game that hasn't been released.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
It does help the "modding" community as you can essentially make your own game and eventually sell it. I think the problem with most TC mods is their based on having a specific game. If this specific game is continually played (like Counter Strike), you can probably take your time and finish the mod.

Most mods never even release a working version of it, which is why I never look forward to mods in development, only one's that are actually playable.

With the UDK, even if it takes 3 years to make the mod, if it's fun to play, you don't have to worry about an existing community, you basically create your own (which is a challenge in itself).

I won't be using the new editor much as I don't see myself making maps for a mod/new game that hasn't been released.
Exactly, that's why it's so amazing :D

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
It might be a high royalty percentage, but if you expect to sell about 100 copies for $20 bucks each then I'd rather get $1500 and give Epic $500 than get all $2,000 and pay $1,000,000 license to Epic. Anyone expecting to do well and on a large scale will probably find the funding to buy a traditional license. I'm excited about the possibilities that this is opening!

Thank you, a voice of reason :) or even 10,000 copies at 20 bucks still makes sense...

Royalties are spot on. Dev w/ the UDK and when the time comes if you think you've got a sure-fire winner then buy the normal license. You'll get source access and official support to give it that extra polish. Otherwise this a a great low-risk opportunity for devs to use an engine that very well may have been out of reach or explore making games outside the typical "safe zone".

more reasonable voices, nice!

don't see how the effects the MSUC much since thats a contest and recognition is still, well recognition and prizes!

...and oh yeah, great job on the UDK release Epic!

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
10,000 copies at 20 bucks doesn't get you too far - sure it looks like 200,000, but in reality, try taking the 25% Epic cut, a 40% digital store cut, a 15% tax cut and see what you're left with when you share it between say, 10 people.

$4000. It's not bad if you're a hobbyist, but it's probably a poor return for your total development time otherwise ;)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's more like that's not bad for a 10,000 unit selling game, tbfh. A 10,000 downloads mod nets you a sum total of $0.