Unreal Development Kit Announced!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
well of course, it's their intellectual property. But I would think it would be OK if it was distributed for free.

Of course.

We can now make free Halos, make a free Modern Warfare 2 (with dedicated servers) and all these huge games for free.
All the companies won't have anything against it, since we are not making any money with it.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Can mappers re do their levels lightmaps using lightmass for UT3? or is this only going to be handy for TCM's
Thanks epic, I hope I can continue to make my maps with this if UT3 likes then. still downloading :)

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Ohhh even I'm feeling stirrings here!

So does any one know:

1) Will we be able to learn about all these new features on the UDN or is that still for licensees only?

2) Can we make UT3 maps with it or is it going to have to be a full game (Deus Ex 1 remake anyone)? Nice either way.

Davision3D

Jan 27, 2008
I think this can put new live in the whole PC games market, with lots of UE3 indie games! :)
Alone all the MSUC mods that can make the commercial jump now! And i think a lot of other mods that get currently devloped for a different engine could change their engine to UE3 because they can make real money with the UDK! :)

Can mappers re do their levels lightmaps using lightmass for UT3? or is this only going to be handy for TCM's
Thanks epic, I hope I can continue to make my maps with this if UT3 likes then. still downloading :)
Theoretical you could just import your packages and map into the new UDK engine, then render that lightmap with the lightmass lightning and then simply copy that rendered lightmap texture over to your map into the old UT3 editor.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Theoretical you could just import your packages and map into the new UDK engine, then render that lightmap with the lightmass lightning and then simply copy that rendered lightmap texture over to your map into the old UT3 editor.
Unless your map only uses customs assets there's a fair chance that it doesn't work.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
BIG WOW here....and this in my lifetime. :D
Sucks that I haven't touched the editor since UT2004. Great move from Epic though.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
There are baked-in assets missing from this version of Deck, I believe

What bugs me is that on all the maps, the post processing is all wrong and the lighting is so bright and muted, making things look a little flat.

Need to play more with lightmass, but fracturing walls into 150 itty-bitty little pieces is too entertaining :(

Wait till you use the NVIDA fracture objects.....it takes that 150 itty-bitty pieces and makes it out to around 1,000 itty-bitty pieces.

q_mi_4_3

Target pratice for others....
Jan 14, 2002
Somewhere in this world
Overall, I think this is a great move by Epic to help the development of games in general. Giving the community modding tools in general is a way to help future employees of Epic and those who license their engines get a head start. The UDK will only expand the modding community, which is always a good thing.
Its not really helping the "modding" community in anyway, more like helping the indie community. UDK is completely seperate from UT3.

On a personal note, I don't think this will make a difference in my mapping projects, unless one of these games gets really popular. Now if they can only come out with a 2.2 patch for UT 3 with the updated engine/editor, then I will be happy all around. :D
I think Epic is done its work on the PC for a while, after such a big release like this one. They've pretty much just gave us everything and told us to go nuts, so they can do something different themselves.

Epic: Reinventing the Lego yet again!

(No you cannot get much more epicly awesome than reinventing the Lego successfully. This trumps even the creation of Mt Dew. R.I.P. "real life" I've got a new reason to get out of bed. :lol:)

Heeeeyyyyy,.. if they're giving away this engine (pretty much) can you freaking imagine the kind of incredible they must have in store for their next engine? "Unreal Engine 4 will actually teleport live alien combatants into your living room, and randomly scatter weapons and power-ups around your neighborhood... also makes French Vanilla Cappuccino and gives back rubs..."

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
The lighting on these maps is astonishing. This is what I was hoping for in UT3, but had started to think wasn't possible in real time (for a few years, anyway). UE3 really is incredible, and to give the tech away is to open the floodgates of what is possible.

Epic, my faith in you is restored. And then some.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I take back what I said, 25% is worth it, I've been toying with the UDK all day and I love it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I still have to understand how lightmass work. The shadow definition is simply unbelievable for the filesize - no previous lighting builds could get close to it.

The thing is, it doesn't seem to work here. When I looked at DM-Deck for the lightmap resolution, I figured it had nothing to do with it, since it was set to 32.

Basically, it works just fine on meshes, not on bsp..

[screenshot]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1050/whyyyyyyy.png[/screenshot]

What am I doing wrong? :B

milb

****** from Teen Arts
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
www.milb-maps.net
Have a look at the light actors. Not all lights are causing these sharp shadows. The most lights in Deck are simple light actors like those we know from previous engine builds, they won't produces soft-shadows.

Last edited:

elsombrero

somb]I[
Nov 6, 2009
Frankfurt
levelcreation.com
Brilliant news!!

Curious to see what kind of impact this will have to modding / mod teams.
Especially in regards to bigger Total Conversion projects. In the past I had the impression that one of the limiting factors for success was that it was more or less impossible to be standalone for mod projects. Thus making it tricky to reach a wide spread target audience.

Its the opportunity I wish had been there 6 years ago ;). Anyways great stuff.

Cheers epic