Make People Like UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
First of all, i have good things to say about UT3, and i have been saying them all along, there are things i definately like about the game, that's why i say things like "It had so much potential", it's just that there is sadly also way too many bad things to say, and people only focus on the negative things i say, so they can brand me a "hater" and try to dismiss my arguments that way :rolleyes:

Secondly, i can play UT3, like i said, what i have is some strange memory crash, if i remove 2 sticks of RAM from my system it will actually run, and i have played it, and quite a few maps and mods, but, having to perform "hardware surgery" every time i want to launch a game is not enjoyable (more so because i also have to remove my vid-card and a fan just to get to the RAM), and i don't find the game good enough to warrent that kind of hassle just to launch the bloody thing, and all my other games run better when i have all my RAM installed, so im not willing to permanently remove them either. And honestly, such a problem should not even exist allmost two years after the release of an "AAA" PC title, it's just sad..

That's not a problem with UT3, that's with your PC...
Although I don't think anyone has the energy or will left to find the real problem. Too many technical problems, guess that what makes consoles so attractive, if there's a problem, finding the solution to it is much easier since everyone has the same machine.

Can you recreate the crash or is it random?
The end of the log file when UT3 crashes?

Your operating system? 32bit or 64bit?
Is you operating system updated(Vista SP1 or SP2?)

How much ram you have exactly?

What graphics card you using?
What driver version you using?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I'm done trying to fix it, i have tried everything i can do, and even had an UE3 engine licensee trying to help me with inside knowledge, and none of it has born fruit, i'm spent, no more!

And no, i have zero reason to belive it is my system, which has been running flawlessly for more than 3 years now, and i have allways kept up to date (yes also the BIOS and chipset) and clean (also of old drivers and even my reg-database), and it runs nice and cold, and i have checked it from top to bottom, even going so far as to physically removeing and swapping hardware.

The game, however, has a very sorted history of intermittant crashes on various systems, of not wanting to work with various hardware and drivers, and has allways been dogged by instabillity issues for countless people, unlike my system, it has a bad track record, it seems obvious that it just doesen't have broad enough hardware support, and Epic has done bugger all about it.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
divorce certificate said:
Rocket Arena has to be made for UT3... I'm kind of glad Maestro won't be working on it. It's got to be a labor of love otherwise it's going to suck donkey doo-doo. If you're shying away from the mod because you're worried what others' will think of it, than you're probably not the guy for the job.

I'll get in contact with Mongo and see if he's interested. 30 people make up the community? lol I had no idea...

I can think of at least 30 people off the top of my head that would be in a rocket arena server today if it existed. Make it good and people will play it. I agree the craptastic crapulation that was ut2kx was part of the reason for failure of rocketeer, but it was also the fact that rocketeer was kinda screwy
Do it yourself?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I'm probably the only one who doesn't understand why Rocket Arena is this great. Someone should explain it to me.

Softice/MASM reverse engineer
Dec 29, 2003
The Netherlands
www.6000068.tk
All sources seem to indicate that your statement is wrong. Video game sales do NOT seem to be hurting at all due to economic slow-down (or perceived slow-downs).

This isn't the original article I read on the topic, but it's just one random one out of many I pulled off of google for now: http://www.digtriad.com/news/watercooler/article.aspx?storyid=103694&catid=176

And this kind of relates to other threads around here too. Gaming sales, and PC gaming, are/is just fine. It simply depends on what you're selling. There are more top-quality PC games out now than I have time or money to play. It's actually a great time for PC gaming.

Well further along the line we see all sorts of lay-offs in game development companies. I was more aiming at the fact that less and less people can buy decent game pc for suchlike advanced 3D games.

Jetfire

Jul 25, 2005
*points at all the people in games dev just on this forum that have been made redundant recently*

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
I'm probably the only one who doesn't understand why Rocket Arena is this great. Someone should explain it to me.

I found it great playing LAN after working hours with my work buddies. We played UT99 rocket launcher arena as a warm up to get the blood pumping. The massive amount of spam combined with the screams of people from across the floor, made for some very LOL times

(Then went on insta, followed by Serious Sam Yodeller map, and ended back to rocket launcher arena)

goldrunout

Aug 21, 2009
Guys be serious... The game as it is now after 2.1, mods, titan is good! Still a bit bugged but good. The problem is just one: Lack of players. So I agree with the author of the first post, the community (users) should do something to make the game famous. We should advertise the game and suggest it to friends!

Xavi

Southamerican Rocker!!!
May 6, 2008
Barranquilla, Colombia
Guys be serious... The game as it is now after 2.1, mods, titan is good! Still a bit bugged but good. The problem is just one: Lack of players. So I agree with the author of the first post, the community (users) should do something to make the game famous. We should advertise the game and suggest it to friends!

Thats right. Add to that the fact that this game have a real good graphics and its pretty well optimized.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The game is good now, but you can't revive a game after such a bad launch. UT3 has proved that.

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
wheres hypnotoad when you need him? lol

44504.png

Mr.SockMonkey

Apr 24, 2009
I recently got UT3 and I really enjoy it.
The only reason people don't play it is because UT3 isn't a "trendy game".
People have moved on past games like UT because they obviously favor
more "realistic" games like the CoD series.
However sad that may be, Epic just has to go with the flow and see if they can make games like that.

The UT series has pretty much run its course and we'll just have to wait untill gamers get bored with realistic FPS's and start playing good games like UT.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
I recently got UT3 and I really enjoy it.
The only reason people don't play it is because UT3 isn't a "trendy game".
People have moved on past games like UT because they obviously favor
more "realistic" games like the CoD series.
However sad that may be, Epic just has to go with the flow and see if they can make games like that.

The UT series has pretty much run its course and we'll just have to wait untill gamers get bored with realistic FPS's and start playing good games like UT.

I don't buy that. Team Fortress 2 is in no way realistic, and it is insanely popular on the PC.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Then let's t look at the guns. :p

All of the guns in TF2 are based on and nearly identical to weapons that exist today.