UE3 - UT3 Character import problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Marscaleb

May 10, 2006
calebchild.boldlygoingnowhere.org
I modelled some boots in Maya and tried to import them into UT3. (I have a character to match, but I wanted to test the boot's animation since they wound up not quite lining up with the skeleton, so only the boots are imported right now.)

This is the first character import I've tried to do.

I set up the parts info in the ini file and I can indeed see the boots appear on the character when I try to customize it, but the boots are laying on the ground, and at roughly a 45-degree angle.
It looks like the boots just fell over, falling backwards and a little to the right.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Additional information:

-I totally suck at skinning, so when I skinned the boots to the skeleton I weighted them completely to the right and left calves.
-They stand up just normal when I view them in Unreal Ed.
-The instructions I was reading online said I would need to adjust the origin and rotOrigin to specific values, but they looked fine to me so I set them all to 0. I wouldn't be surprised if I had them rotated the wrong way by the yaw, but they stood up straight with the world origin in the right place inside of the editor, I figured I was good there.
But just to check, I went back and set the rotOrigin to the values specified, but after that nothing had changed; they were still lying on the ground with no change in angle.
-I did check the box for Assume Maya Coordinates.
-They appear to not move when lying on the ground, even though the "doing nothing" animation the character plays does show the boots moving a little bit with the default boots.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Maya's native up axis is Y, Unreals and other games are Z up, try rotating the skeleton 45 degrees, if not it could be that you have exported with construction history on the boots themselves.

Marscaleb

May 10, 2006
Hmm, I'll admit that I didn't think to delete the construction history, just as wella s I'll admit I never thought it would make a difference.

And because of the whole Z-up Y-up thing, I could understand needing to rotate things to a 90-degree angle, or even inverting the mesh, but not rotating it to 45-degrees. That just doesn't make sense.

And when I played the animation in Maya it looked fine.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
sorry about that i ment 90 degrees, also remember to freeze transformations before binding to a skeleton

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
When you translate, rotate or scale an object, they are stored in the channel box for that object. Freezing these out resets them to zero without effecting your geometry. Freeze transformations in located in the modify menu.

Marscaleb

May 10, 2006
UPDATE

I tried reimporting it without the BassumeMayaCoordinates, and also was then forced to adjust the RotOrigin to get the boots to stand up straight in the editor. Still no change.

CantFeelMyLegs.png

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
Hmm, when you bind the boots to the skeleton, in the options for the smooth binding, have you got the remove unused influences check box ticked. If so then uncheck it, this removes the bones that have nothing binded to them on export and can cause problems such as this one. Also check to see if the bones actually exist within the editor.

Marscaleb

May 10, 2006
If the bones exist within the editor?
But, this is the default skeleton! How could they not be in the editor in their proper place? I'm not importing skeletal data.

But I'll check the remove unused influences thing.

And TurdDrive; you're right, I should laugh at that.

InAction

I make things move
Jan 21, 2008
Have you managed to get it to work? Otherwise, follow the link in my signature and download that rig. You'll find a "Sample_DummyCharacter.mb" file, skin your boots to him, import your mesh and make sure you add the right offset values to the skeletal mesh.

Origin: Z: -51.000000
Rot Origin: Yaw: -90.00°

This should make things less problematic for you. :)