The Official UT3 Myths Debunked Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Express your opinion!

• Total voters

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Stop going on about your Epic Games Forum it aint that good just a bunch of stuck up arse hole in which you should ban your self from.

Do any of the serious UT players; people who have been around since the original and played in clans, pug matches, and MLUT, even post on the Epic forums at all or pay any attention to the Epic Forums at this point?

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
Epic did a great job making a high performance high quality game playable with suboptimal systems. If you think the gameplay is inconsistent then your computer is walking on it's knees.
Fact number one: I have the system(s) to run the game. I ran the game and was interesting at first, to me and my brother. It happens that the graphics were overdone for an FPS game, so I couldn't nor my bro stay playing much.
So then I tried to understand how to make maps and such, and the Ued makes things harder, plus this inteligent "take an headache by each map" process of making playable custom maps. And some really ass ingame bugs were often there, even with latest patch.
Guess what: the game stayed in my system for 5 days, after that nor me or my brother played it again. Also notice that my brother isn't a FPS active player like me, he likes more RPG styled games online, and he likes good graphics a lot, still when he plays FPS is only UT1 or UT2004, he didn't want to play UT3 anymore, and also notice that the UT3 lovers said to him it was a great game, but he didn't play it anymore for some reason, no?
Then join all the players that say that it sucks and the others that say it owns, make your calculations. If UT3 had own at the beggining mostly in gameplay, I guarantee you that such things as bugs would be excusable and the game would be still alive.
Of course, there will be always UT3 lovers like you, and I respect that. You should do the same when you open a thread like this. People come here and give their honest their opinions, and statistics don't lie.

We got the usual flaming, admins screwing around with the setup, opinions based on hot air, enthusiast being scared away because they don't want to be harassed, shooting the messenger and being generally reckless towards people building up the UT3 society.
Fact number 2: You say you openned this thread for an healthy discussion, for everyone, but you made a poll that is a joke, basically saying that UT3 lovers are right and UT3 dislikers are wrong. You started the screwing yourself by making such non-serious poll like that. I mean, I only see polls like that in the spam sections of any forum, not here.

There are no more reasonable arguments being made by the UT3 dislikers. I want to give the opposition a fair chance by relaxing here on my end.
Fact number 3: You are neglecting facts about UT3, facts that many people here stated as being their reasons for not playing the damn game. If you want indeed promote the game, you should tell the truth about its good spots and bad spots. Currently, you just told some good spots, while some of those good spots aren't entirelly true (as many proved during this thread and other threads), and while you have hidden many bad spots about the game.
So next time, I strongly advice you to show the confirmed bad spots and not claim the game is perfect, because I am sure that will make you look bad for the ones that try the game today and tomorrow, because they will see how good the game is by your beliefs, and this thread will fill up even more with such statements you neglect by saying that no one as solid base, because some of them have and you just ignore them, so who's making unreasonable arguments here?

I admit, it was a provocation, just to get this thread going. It seems it's quickly derailing the intended discussion. Polls can't be altered by users and admins decided to just make matters worse. The point is, there is only one alternative, despite that some voted for option number two.
Fact number 4: Talking about flaming and then saying it was really a provocation, I guess there's no much to say here Oo

Feelings are not opinions. If you don't want to feel any better, at least don't try to take it out on anyone other than yourself.
Fact number 5: You're the one mixing both, since you're the only one talking about good things only about UT3, and neglecting any evidence about bad things about the game.

So in resume, this thread failed, and you failed with it. This kind of discussions could really bring the good things and bad things about UT3, and let players that never played it to have their minds correctly cleared, but by just looking to one side of the coin, you can't judge the other side, and you are doing that and you are indeed keeping new UT3 players from playing the game instead of promoting them to, with those attitudes, contradictions and neglects from you.

Good day, let this thread rest in peace ;)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Concise and informative. If at first you don't succeed, redefine what you did as success.

Another myth arise.
Ingame bugs were often there, even with latest patch.
Tell me what that is and how to reproduce it, please.

Gameplay myth.
DM is all about rockets and Flak.
Shock combos are dreadful. How many times have you sucker punched someone with a fully loaded Bio Rifle? Picked someone apart with the enforcers or nailed someone far away with a Sniper Rifle?

I didn't expect to learn nothing and score on the very first post. I can say awful things about people without feeling anything at all.

Let's decide this the old-fashion way. The gloves are coming off at the HOLP servers.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Manta Jumping, that is a nifty trick. Awesome! What's so bad about that?

Checking out the statues in Rails... Didn't notice anything strange. You mean the statues carrying rings forming a sphere, right?

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
It's not "what's so bad about it", rather "it's been there since forever." And you could just go on top of the buildings in Suspense and kill everyone hiding there, that's pretty bad.

Yea, the statues in Rails, feign death on them and you'll die (online)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Maybe they decided to keep Manta jumping because it's cool? An interesting way to get to high places. It doesn't seem practical and is easily disrupted. The Impact Hammer is a powerful weapon.

You break your neck if you fall through the metal rings on the statues, so what.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
It's not a game ruining exploit, more like a gimmick move.

The EMP knocks around things, kind of makes me wonder why you can't fly without the Manta between you and the surge. The Manta can hover, but not fly by itself. So the Manta and a player have lower density together, which makes it possible to propel them both with the Impact Hammer. How does this even count as a bug? It's not an error in the physics engine, just an unforeseen consequence thereof.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
There are no more reasonable arguments being made by the UT3 dislikers. I want to give the opposition a fair chance by relaxing here on my end.

We don't need to make any new arguments, 90% of the old ones, that we have been making since the game's launch, have yet to be adressed, thats why many of us don't play it in the first place.

The forum history is chock full of this stuff if you are wondering what "it" is, just go back some pages and read to your hearts content.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Which version of the Longest Yard is this? I really like it, where can I find it?

The date on the Youtube video is 2007, and there is a DM-Yard by Gush that is from 2008. If you haven't seen that one either it might be worth getting. There appear to be plenty of links to it in Google.

DM-Yard is more orange looking. I liked it when I had it, but since rebuilding the OS a while back to replace Vista with XP, I haven't gotten around to reinstalling it.

Feralidragon

UT n00b coder
Feb 25, 2008
If you forward-dodge into the right places on Gateway and feign death just before you hit the wall, you also die! It's really pretty hilarious even if it's a bug.
I agree with Fuzz here, it's kinda logical that to happen. If you just fall by head for example you should die instead of falling by your feet. So if it's a bug, yes it's still logical to happen. But then, following this logic another bug appears then, it's when you should loose indeed health in certain "feign death" situations, like falling badly from stairs and other supports that in the real world should at least break some of your bones. So either the bug is this or that, there's then a bug or simply bad coding.

The Manta can hover, but not fly by itself. So the Manta and a player have lower density together, which makes it possible to propel them both with the Impact Hammer. How does this even count as a bug? It's not an error in the physics engine, just an unforeseen consequence thereof.
LOL :lol:Man, what do you know about actual physics? You drop water in a oil bottle and therefor they get with a lower density together? No, they don't even mix together without a proper liquid. That must the most hilarious statement of this thread.
I will explain you one thing: even if the manta was hovering, from what I saw in that video, the max effect of the impact hammer on that would be:
- Manta been knocked down, and the player being knocked up.
The only way to make the Manta logically fly with the impact hammer would be from below, by that way the strenght of the pressurized blow air would be so big that would break your legs and arms in the worse case (and therefor loose health). Only because Manta is a hovering vehicle that doesn't mean it has less density, but of course it's not a massive block either, it just means the air pressure below relative to above is high enough to keep the vehicle floating in the air (which people call hovering), basically following the basics of a plane (but instead the plane really flies because the this air pressure difference is done with the wings leading more pressure to below them to keep it flying), but either ways, either hovering and place vehicles get indeed more density when you are inside them (you know what density is? It's the amount of mass you have in a certain volume, so therefore people outside hovers and planes, less mass inside them, so they get less dense and with less weight, inside them, they get more dense overall and with more weight). So yes, IT'S A BUG! You can't say otherwise.
You have more dumb physics theories around this thread, like "be stuck in invisible stuff happens in real world" LMAO
Yeah, in the other day I saw a car going into an invisible tree, perfectly explained physics.

So far I counted 3 proven bugs with just these statements.

Like I said, there are indeed proven bugs and you simply don't want to admit them, saying the game is perfect, but I will give you an hint: there's no such thing as a perfect game, be it in gameplay or bugs, every game has its ups and downs, and UT3 is no exception (at all I must say :lol:).

So this is the last time I try to advice you about this: Create a thread yes, but a serious one, to promote and stuff, but place there the good things but the bad things as well, and let people that never played the game balance that and decide by theirselves if the game is worth their time or not. Otherwise, by saying the game is perfect and not admit these proven bugs in it and some bad gameplay, will always make you and this thread look bad for everyone, now you decide if you want to keep this up with the rest of the people here, or want to do a good thread instead, your choice.
As for me, this was my last attempt to make you do something right, even though I don't like UT3 overall.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
A new myth.
Small bugs make people quit games.
No game is perfect according to Feralidragon. Minor "unnatural" things that happen in games are hardly usable and easily avoidable. This keeps bugging people none the less, when there are more plausible economical and social factors behind.

Density is the simplified approximation of the Mantas aerodynamic properties. You multiply the gravity with a number between 0 and 1 to get a reduced gravity. The player can firmly stand on the vehicle. The Impact Hammer's EMP discharge goes underneath the Manta and lifts it up in the air.

You think any of the things in the Unreal universe is for real? Tyradium shards, bio sludge and bouncing flak shards?

The get stuck on invisible objects is not an engine bug, it's a mapping oversight. If you get stuck somewhere you don't go back there again if you want to win the match.

Feign death means that the character is completely relaxed. Any high speed impact that would cause the spine to twist in an awkward way kills you. Besides, feign death is not very useful and you wind up dead most of the time anyway.

Not many people back in 2007 had a couple of grand to throw around, just to play this game.

GoW and UT3 was released about the same time, GoW being the first one to hit the market. How many of you would have bought Doom 3, Quake 4 and Wolfenstein if they all were released the same week? You complete one at a time instead of punishing your wallet. Everybody wanted to see what GoW was all about. Everyone had seen the UT3 beta and thought the full game was merely repetition of it. Microsoft have at every turn seen to it that their flag ship GoW have gotten the better of it's competitor UT3. By the time we all finished the GoW single player campaign, the UT3 community had been diminished and separated in time. Epic has been out-muscled by Microsoft many times, with a comforting pat on the back every time.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
that manta jump is not really a bug. its just how the engine handles physics objects. ever played the lego bricks map, jumped on a block and shot it with flak? you can jump with ANY k-actor. probably depending on weight scaling but in theory you can do it with all of them.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
hardly usable
Hardly usable? This manta EMP bug can help you get to hard to reach spots instantly, it acts like an elevator that you can use anywhere. And the best thing: it comes with you, and you can get inside it. Then what happens? You rape the enemies in that hard to reach spot. Trust me, I've done it, I'm betting it wasn't fun for that Raptor pilot landing on top of the tall building in our base, or those snipers on the AVRiL bridge at VCTF-Suspense.

Note that since, this conduct can get you banned from the server.
I suggest you stop talking before you know.