The Official UT3 Myths Debunked Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Express your opinion!

• Total voters

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I am talking about this forum section.
...but it's more or less the same people... In this forum people complains about how much UT3 sucks; in the other one we do our best to make it better... :D

I know your intentions were good when making this thread (the poll sucks though... :p) but 'UT3 discussion' threads have always failed horribly. IMO everyone has the right to complain... but when you see a lot of people's thoughts packed together in a pessimistic thread it seems that we all are a bunch of haters that don't even play the game... while most of us still do... ;)

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Bersy said:
This is nothing personal in any way, but one day I thought to myself "fica.. sounds like fecal.." so "Ben Fecal Matter" is now my pet name for you. :p ;)
you waste your time thinking about me? :lol:

Fuzz said:
People reacting this way ... or the spirit to play an extremely competitive shooter and rather have the old Unreal magic back with an adventurous long any mystical sci-fi with a vast arsenal of obscure weapons and items.
A good balance between both are important, at least for me.

Edit: you say that some people are haters. Don't you find it strange that others don't play it either, say "meh, whatever" and go play other game? You'd not expect people call a fast paced hardcore game, just dull and boring.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The presence of UT3 haters here is a contradiction in it self.

Polls suck when they can't be edited in any way by the thread starter.

If people are voting for "This poll sucks!" then that is also a contradiction because they have an alternative and nothing to complain about. Polls only suck when none is voting in them. This would never have happened at Epic forums.

I am just playing around with you. There ain't much we can do about the UT3 situation. Of course we can help people and stop spreading rumors.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Benefica, find the UTEngine.ini and make sure that the following variable is set.
[Engine.ISVHacks]
PumpWindowMessagesWhenRenderThreadStalled=True
If I don't use that the game will crash. Also the audio hardware acceleration with OpenAL will crash the game, so don't use that. Disable it from the Audio settings menu.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Benefica, find the UTEngine.ini and make sure that the following variable is set.
If I don't use that the game will crash. Also the audio hardware acceleration with OpenAL will crash the game, so don't use that. Disable it from the Audio settings menu.
I renamed utengine.ini, and the game crashed even with the new one. Then edited the file, used your tweak and also "bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True". It worked, thank you :)

TurdDrive

sam k
Oct 31, 2008
WALES
The presence of UT3 haters here is a contradiction in it self.

Polls suck when they can't be edited in any way by the thread starter.

If people are voting for "This poll sucks!" then that is also a contradiction because they have an alternative and nothing to complain about. Polls only suck when none is voting in them. This would never have happened at Epic forums.

I am just playing around with you. There ain't much we can do about the UT3 situation. Of course we can help people and stop spreading rumors.

Stop going on about your Epic Games Forum it aint that good just a bunch of stuck up arse hole in which you should ban your self from.

Good day Sir.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I love this. *giggle*

You see, I'm the firestarter!

It's hard to not agree with all of you people, it really is, but this attitude does not make the game experience better for anyone. People will think that there is something seriously wrong with the game and don't give it another try. There are mostly minor and marginal stuff and then there are the major yet easy to fix crashes.

The game is not dead. There is always a nearby server on with enough people to play.

You don't like my attitude? So what, most people would not stand yours either.

Come on! Enjoy the game! That is why we all are here anyway.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
The GF8800GS is a low end card.
That's why I can run UT3 maxed out on a 8800 GTS 640MB. :rolleyes:
IT'S LOW END! :lol:

I like UT3, but this thread sucks. What kind of myths are being debunked in here? The one which says you are a calm person?

UT3 is a good game IMO, but it does have shortcomings compared to others. However IMO these shortcomings aren't reason to stop playing entirely, but that's my opinion. I find them minor, but some other people may be more than annoyed by them. I also consider myself blessed in that I never had a single GPF or CTD with UT3, ever, except in cases of me wrongly installing custom content or messing with the config files. So maybe if I had had troubles running the game, I would think differently, but for now I love "my" CTF-Tangled. :)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I had to go check up on those cards of yours. Toms Hardware have the charts. The GF8800GS is not even listed and the GF8800GTS is listed at the bottom. You are missing the point completely. Epic did a great job making a high performance high quality game playable with suboptimal systems. If you think the gameplay is inconsistent then your computer is walking on it's knees.

We got the usual flaming, admins screwing around with the setup, opinions based on hot air, enthusiast being scared away because they don't want to be harassed, shooting the messenger and being generally reckless towards people building up the UT3 society.

There are no more reasonable arguments being made by the UT3 dislikers. I want to give the opposition a fair chance by relaxing here on my end.

What the poll is saying at the moment is that many of the disappointed UT3 players think it sucks that they are not allowed to ruin it for the ones that really like the game.

I admit, it was a provocation, just to get this thread going. It seems it's quickly derailing the intended discussion. Polls can't be altered by users and admins decided to just make matters worse. The point is, there is only one alternative, despite that some voted for option number two.

It's not a theory if it cannot be disproved. There is no use trying to prove that you UT3 dislikers don't dislike the game. This thread is about beating the reasons behind and having a sound opinion about features of the game.

I much rather excel in Quake Live than remain here while you retarded whiners go about talking irrelevant trash. Epic has left the game and the PC sequels on the shelf. There will be no more patches, no more official expansions. There is no point in complaining anymore. People disappointed with the game are easily insulted by optimists, even thou most of us care equally much about the game. It's better to just like the game than hanging on in innuendo in this limbo of disappointment, dislike and despise.

Feelings are not opinions. If you don't want to feel any better, at least don't try to take it out on anyone other than yourself.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Fuzz said:
I had to go check up on those cards of yours. Toms Hardware have the charts. The GF8800GS is not even listed and the GF8800GTS is listed at the bottom. You are missing the point completely. Epic did a great job making a high performance high quality game playable with suboptimal systems. If you think the gameplay is inconsistent then your computer is walking on it's knees.
I guess you are missing my point too, it has nothing to do with my hardware because I have 90 fps avg. Then I don't care if it's not listed or listed at the bottom when benchmarking other games, I'm an UT player and the card is good enough for it. Honest :)

What I'm asking is a game designed for the ones that left, the ut99.org people, ut2004 fans, the ones that "love" UT3 but play TF2 or CoD4, the new guys that ragequit or went back to offline, the ones that can't get it because it's rated M, etc...

btw, how often do you play UT3? These days I only play custom or "fresh" content, had enough of 24/7 WAR-Downtown or DM-Deck servers. This means that online I only play on the {dFb} vCTF server, Greed, Titan maps and those Sunday night custom warfare parties.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Sure, after three years from its release it's normal that it has less custom content than a TEN years old game.
Plus, I find many UT3 custom stuff to be much better in quality (HOLP, CBPs, The Ball, Prometheus, etc). Always better than quantity. Also, it requires more time to model a character or build a map, in UE3.

It's a combination of the lower player count's and the increased amount of effort it takes to produce a map for UT3. The file structure--the way files are organized for this game--is just awful. In contrast, it seemed much more straightforward for UT99 and UT 2004. I'd like to see some studios abandon the Application Data folder bull**** and just start designing things so that it all goes into one, well-organized folder.

Last edited: