Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And yet there are people that made a mod that restored this to the game and do not understand why it was so terrible.
Because what is the point of having vehicles if you are almost always more effective outside than inside? You might as well just remove them.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
first off, theres very few good players in ut3, and NONE on the t5k and umg servers, ive played those a few times and they are all flat out terrible team stackers/switchers/newbs. the few good players play tdm/dm. theres no good players in war. .

If you played the war servers with T5K on it or any of the other WAR clans, you would get pawned, spanked, and humiliated. We all play DM, TDM, BTA, and vCTF along with other game modes. You should come and show everyone just how good you are and prove yourself as something other than the troll you act like.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
UT2004 vehicles aren't any better than UT3 vehicles. There is just less level geometry in 2k4. Also, the player->vehicle balance was retarded in 2k4.

I disagree. The UT 2004 vehicles feel much better than the UT3 vehicles and they also offer first person view, which is important for flying vehicles and the Goliath. I think they're easier to control as well. Consequently, I prefer UT 2004's Onslaught over UT3 Warfare. UT3 Warfare isn't all that bad, but it's not nearly as much fun as Onslaught. Also, the invisible mine-laying vehicle in UT3 is horrible and needs to go.

It was retarded. You could kill almost any vehicle with almost any weapon on foot.

I play Onslaught all the time and I haven't noticed any shortage of people getting into and using vehicles as a result of this, even on wide open maps like Minus Tank Me Up where you can hit tanks from a good distance with the shock rifle. Players on foot get killed all the time and so do people in vehicles.

I do play UT3 now and then, btw, but it's for regular Weapons CTF which isn't too bad, but not as much fun as CTF in the original UT99. I don't know if it's the server I play on or what, but it feels like it's 50-100% faster than in the original UT99, which means less control over your character and the fighting.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I disagree. The UT 2004 vehicles feel much better than the UT3 vehicles and they also offer first person view, which is important for flying vehicles and the Goliath. I think they're easier to control as well. Consequently, I prefer UT 2004's Onslaught over UT3 Warfare. UT3 Warfare isn't all that bad, but it's not nearly as much fun as Onslaught. Also, the invisible mine-laying vehicle in UT3 is horrible and needs to go.
I wasn't commenting on the balance of the vehicles or the entertainment level of the associated gametypes. I find that the way UT3 vehicles control is WAY better than in 2k4, but that's obviously quite subjective. I also like the dynamic in Warfare more than in Onslaught, but again, subjective.
I play Onslaught all the time and I haven't noticed any shortage of people getting into and using vehicles as a result of this, even on wide open maps like Minus Tank Me Up where you can hit tanks from a good distance with the shock rifle. Players on foot get killed all the time and so do people in vehicles.
I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but the majority of people who play Onslaught completely suck at the game. Note that I'm not saying people who play Warfare are any better. But, frankly, when you are dealing with a bunch of average players, it doesn't matter if they are in vehicles or not, and it doesn't matter if other average players are in vehicles are not.

Me and a few other people used to go on Onslaught servers and basically stomp them without even touching the vehicles. The player to vehicle balance is so bad that just having a small amount of aim and the right weapons means that very few people are going to kill you with a vehicle.
I do play UT3 now and then, btw, but it's for regular Weapons CTF which isn't too bad, but not as much fun as CTF in the original UT99. I don't know if it's the server I play on or what, but it feels like it's 50-100% faster than in the original UT99, which means less control over your character and the fighting.
I haven't played UT online for at least a year I think, but I don't have any perceptible difference between the two games (except for the higher system requirements and all the stuff derived from that)... but this subject is again highly subjective.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
It was retarded. You could kill almost any vehicle with almost any weapon on foot.

Hooray for gameplay... ...which woks in UT2k4 and is plainly retarded in UT3 (vehicle gametypes, DM CTF is good).

Weapon plaement and map design was bad in UT2k4 ONS, though. UT3's is horrible (unless you don't care for solid gameplay and are omgTITANliekwtflolol11!!!)

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Because what is the point of having vehicles if you are almost always more effective outside than inside? You might as well just remove them.

Seems a lot people from the BU-casual crowd never learned them. No, I am not a pr0 either, but saying without vehicle you are more successful clearly tells you haven't played UT2k4 longer than 3 days after initial demo release.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
If we are so enthusiastic about the game, why don't we just play it?

Because only a very small group of people actually are that enthusiastic? and all the rest of us have long since given up on the game for one reason or another?

Sorry, but thats just how it is, and i see no reason why it would change now.

yoyo1

Sep 10, 2009
If you played the war servers with T5K on it or any of the other WAR clans, you would get pawned, spanked, and humiliated. We all play DM, TDM, BTA, and vCTF along with other game modes. You should come and show everyone just how good you are and prove yourself as something other than the troll you act like.

ill 1v1 any member of t5k/boom/any of the other newbie war clans.

yoyo1

Sep 10, 2009
I wasn't commenting on the balance of the vehicles or the entertainment level of the associated gametypes. I find that the way UT3 vehicles control is WAY better than in 2k4, but that's obviously quite subjective. I also like the dynamic in Warfare more than in Onslaught, but again, subjective.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, but the majority of people who play Onslaught completely suck at the game. Note that I'm not saying people who play Warfare are any better. But, frankly, when you are dealing with a bunch of average players, it doesn't matter if they are in vehicles or not, and it doesn't matter if other average players are in vehicles are not.

Me and a few other people used to go on Onslaught servers and basically stomp them without even touching the vehicles. The player to vehicle balance is so bad that just having a small amount of aim and the right weapons means that very few people are going to kill you with a vehicle.

I haven't played UT online for at least a year I think, but I don't have any perceptible difference between the two games (except for the higher system requirements and all the stuff derived from that)... but this subject is again highly subjective.

the only vehicle i wouldnt kill you in is the scorpion which is indeed useless except against mantas. you must be horrible at ut2k4.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Hooray for gameplay... ...which woks in UT2k4 and is plainly retarded in UT3 (vehicle gametypes, DM CTF is good).

Weapon plaement and map design was bad in UT2k4 ONS, though. UT3's is horrible (unless you don't care for solid gameplay and are omgTITANliekwtflolol11!!!)
They seem pretty much identical to me. The only map in 2k4 that wasn't exactly like that was Dawn.
Seems a lot people from the BU-casual crowd never learned them. No, I am not a pr0 either, but saying without vehicle you are more successful clearly tells you haven't played UT2k4 longer than 3 days after initial demo release.
Well, you're welcome to your opinion there, but I played vehicle gametypes all the time in 2k4 and I never had problems taking down any Scorpion, Manta, Raptor or Hellbender, which are the majority of vehicles in the game. Most of the time you could even easily take down tanks, which just leaves the Leviathan (and even with the Leviathan in 2k4, it could be taken down WAY too easily).
the only vehicle i wouldnt kill you in is the scorpion which is indeed useless except against mantas. you must be horrible at ut2k4.
Heh. I wouldn't count on it. I really have no interest in trying to defend my skill at UT2004, but my opinion is shared by lots of people (of 2k4 vehicles, not necessarily UT3 ones).

Sanch3z1973

Apr 14, 2008
And yet there are people that made a mod that restored this to the game and do not understand why it was so terrible.

We understand perfectly that shock vs vehicle in 2k4 was unbalanced. We dont care, that is how we prefer to play. How long are you going to cry about the same thing? If you dont like it, dont play it..... <---- I've been saying that to you for 2 years now :lol:

Maybe people should start playing their game of preference rather than posting on forums with the same old story over and over and over.......... That is the realization I have come to: 2k4 kicks UT3's ass..... And I will be supporting and enjoying my favorite game until there is a true successor.

Sanch3z1973

Apr 14, 2008
oh FYI, we didnt mess with the player or vehicle hitboxes in UT3 so saying we restored the 2k4 shock rifle "feeling" to UT3 is false. We did increase the ROF, and vehicle damage amount but it is still harder to land your shot in UT3. I would have changed the hitboxes too but that is above my abilities. :D