The Official UT3 Myths Debunked Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Express your opinion!

• Total voters

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
We hear a lot of stuff about our favorite game.

This is the place to confront all complaints. If you disagree, quote the relevant parts here and reply to any form of statements. If we keep ignoring and censoring we will just provoke flamers and trolls into believing that whatever they say are inconvenient truths that can't be dealt with in any thoughtful way.

Unreal Tournament 3 is a great game. If you don't have the hardware, you're missing out.

• Graphics are better than in any other popular arena shooter.
  • All the features are there and the UI works better than in any previous game. This is also where a lot of contradicting complaints start to pop up. There is a Friends list In-Game, a Favorite Servers list and a Server Browser. If you want to host a tournament, just get a server and a homepage.
  • All the popular gametypes are in the game. You can't play Bombing Run, Domination, Double Domination, Assault or Conquest in any other competitive game. There are mods bringing back Domination and Bombing Run being made as we speak.
  • UT3 is not consolized in any way, as if it's a bad thing by itself. We are still playing with keyboard and mouse on our custom designed PCs. There is a console and you can type commands and send text messages.
  • Godlike bots are very good sparing partners. With some practice you will be able to beat them. That will make you a very good player. Learning how to beat human opponents from all over the world is what UT3 is all about.
  • There are a lot of high quality custom made content, you won't even have the time to try it all. If you need to download anything before a game, most servers can provide that for you, on demand.
Stop hurting yourself with destructive thinking, everything you need is right here. If you can't figure it out by yourself, ask around. Just get everybody to start playing.

If you think you have a valid reason for not playing, guess what, this thread is here for you...

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
What is an "arena shooter"?

"All the features are there"? Uh ok, if you say so... Also I dare claiming the UT2004 UI worked better than the UT3 UI.

Have you actually played UT3 recently? FYI: There is no "Conquest" gametype in it.

Not consolized? And yes, consolized PC games are a bad thing. PC games should be developed mainly with the PC in mind. UT3's user interface resembles that of old games from the keyboard-only era, just with better graphics. What'S wrong with optimally using the screen space and relying on players actually having a mouse attached to their computers?

Bots, especially at higher skill level, are still dumb. They only have perfect aim. Masterful bots in UT2004 were a lot more fun than Masterful bots are in UT3.

Granted, you are right about hte custom content part, but IMHO Epic made content creators bleed there - the entire concept of cooking (code cooked into maps so code updates require recooking), the INI mess, whiny PS3 players, etc.

Thanks for this thread, finally a place to whine and share my destructive thoughts.

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
one post to rule them all.

A quote from a recent ingame chat: "This game has vehicles that handle like a shopping cart!"

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Granted, you are right about hte custom content part, but IMHO Epic made content creators bleed there - the entire concept of cooking (code cooked into maps so code updates require recooking), the INI mess, whiny PS3 players, etc.
Not to mention compressing most of the weapon code together
Yea it was a bit of an annoyance having to make seperate files for the Weapon, Firemode x2, Pickup, Ammo, Ammo Pickup, 3rd Person effects(plus 2 if both firemodes are projectile), but they were seperate and imo, easier to keep track of changes

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
some things i dont agree with:
i got used to the UI but it could be better. esp at the beginning the server browser was pretty ****ty.

the friends list just doesnt really work that well. when you follow a friend you never know what server you will end up on, how many players there are, if its full/pasworded you just see if hes on a server or not.

godlike bots as sparring partners? thats just so wrong. all godlike bots do is hitscan you from miles away with 100% accurary and they dodge every single of your shots.

oh, and its warfare. not conquest.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Not to mention compressing most of the weapon code together
Yea it was a bit of an annoyance having to make seperate files for the Weapon, Firemode x2, Pickup, Ammo, Ammo Pickup, 3rd Person effects(plus 2 if both firemodes are projectile), but they were seperate and imo, easier to keep track of changes

This was a big issue. Code cooked into maps? What's the ****ing point of separate script files? There's so little performance gain there, was it ever worth implementing in the first place?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The journey begins...

Quake Live is the purest example of an arena shooter. Gametypes like Deathmatch and Capture the Flag are there. No singleplayer adventure, just matchups between players or teams.

I play UT3 with pink glasses on I suppose.

UT2k4 UI for instance, how many times have you double-clicked a map when you just wanted the next tab rather than launching a listen server? UT2k4 menus look larger and are faster on most computers, but if you get a decent computer UT3 have good menus with all the options needed. If you miss something, there is probably a mutator around or an ini-setting.

There is no Conquest. Someone should probably make that gametype. That is not my argument. There is no huge variety of gametypes in any games. There is not a very large need for all exotic gametypes from the past. If enough people want it, someone will put together a team and make it themselves, like Bombing Run and Domination.

We all need good aim and reflexes. When we can't beat raw quality, we find smarter ways to dispose of enemies. A good rule of thumb, if a bot can hit a target like that, so can a human player. Bots don't get smarter, but you do. When you are done playing bots, play against people online.

Vehicles, um yea, they are not like Grid or DiRT kind of vehicles, but then again I don't play around much with vehicles to begin with. I rather play Deathmatch or just plain CtF.

UnrealScript and whatever done there is not seen by the actual players. Oh well, as a player you are supposed to be a mod maker. They could have done that differently, but it doesn't make the game unplayable or mods impossible to make, just copy all the files and open all of them in a more advanced text editor.

Cooking is only good for the consumers. There are lots of guides, tutorials and people to ask. Every new generation of engines come with new and increasingly difficult challenges to overcome as a modder or a level designer.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Again, vehicles. Those are military grade vehicles, they are supposed to be bulky and able to withstand some serious firepower.

The poll is biased, like any other poll. I am however not here to support cynicism, but to solve the situation.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I play UT3 with pink glasses on I suppose.
And with many many happy pills, it seems.

A good rule of thumb, if a bot can hit a target like that, so can a human player.
A good rule of thumb, if a human turns around 180° and instantly nails a headshot more than once per year, he is using a hack.

UnrealScript and whatever done there is not seen by the actual players. Oh well, as a player you are supposed to be a mod maker. They could have done that differently, but it doesn't make the game unplayable or mods impossible to make, just copy all the files and open all of them in a more advanced text editor.

Cooking is only good for the consumers. There are lots of guides, tutorials and people to ask. Every new generation of engines come with new and increasingly difficult challenges to overcome as a modder or a level designer.
You have no clue about how creating custom content worked up until UT2004 and how it works now. Don't get me started on how it's all much more complicated now.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
A very skillful player can do just that. It takes practice. First you have to expect your opponent to be right behind you at any time and just look there. You can hear your opponent or just guess/time it very well. As you are turning you must know where your opponent should be and how high above the ground the opponent will have it's head. It's easy to hit with the sniper rifle, headshots are of course a little harder. Bots are allowed to be lucky, just like human players. If bots still get the better out of you, just try hitting them around corners and obstacles.

All right, we don't have to talk about coding or mapping. The game is enjoyable out of the box.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Your poll sucks.
QFT

This thread is well intentioned, but on a road to you-know-where. As it stands now it won't accomplish anything. If you really want to win hearts for UT3, there are many things to change:

"UT3 rocks" vs. "I suck"
Argumentation 101: You won't persuade a soul of anything if your first move is to insult their views coming in.​

"...about our favorite game"
Be wise and leave "favorite" out of your language; true as that may be, if you really want to change minds, you're better off tackling that effort as dryly and dispassionately as possible—nothing but facts.​

"Graphics are better"
Graphics are "as good as or better." Leave room for a tie; other people have different preferences on artistic style, etc.​

"the UI works better than in any previous game"
Whether you mean any previous UT or any game at all, as a general statement that's just a bad assertion. You can't browse servers while connected to a server; you can't right-click in the browser; ... (et cetera ad nauseum: just pop open UT2004 and compare). Neither is it altogether worse IMO (there are improvements here and there), but to state flatly that the UI is better than in any game prior would just kill the thread's credibility.​

Instead, I'd push "there's a lot of high quality custom content" to the top of the list of selling points. There's hundreds of community maps and mods, built just as well as or better than the average Epic product, and easily as plentiful as any other game. The community's even coming up with innovative distribution methods for all those gobs of content. Build your arguments around that, and you'll make a strong case.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
First off I prefer UT3 more than the previous two but i agree there are some flaws.

Also I dare claiming the UT2004 UI worked better than the UT3 UI.

I agree with wormbo. I much preferred the UT2k4 version. Mapmixer's an improvement (love the remixed music btw :)) but I would love to see 2k4's gui come back. It was so quick.

one post to rule them all.

A quote from a recent ingame chat: "This game has vehicles that handle like a shopping cart!"

The handling is a lot more fluid and responsive than 2k4's. I really didn't like the "on rails" feel of 2k4 vehicles.

some things i dont agree with:
i got used to the UI but it could be better. esp at the beginning the server browser was pretty ****ty.

That's what patches are for. :) It's a big improvement now though but not perfect.

godlike bots as sparring partners? thats just so wrong.

Agreed. the only way to improve is to play against humans and now the servers are starting to get busy again there's more opportunity. The past few days I've had some very good games. From 1 on 1s to big 32 player warfare matches.

A good rule of thumb, if a human turns around 180° and instantly nails a headshot more than once per year, he is using a hack.

What on-line game doesn't have trouble with cheats and bots? This isn't a UT3 problem.

You have no clue about how creating custom content worked up until UT2004 and how it works now. Don't get me started on how it's all much more complicated now.

I can only speak from level design point of view but the static meshes initially put me off when I tried mapping for 2k4. I'm used to it now with UT3. But hey that's progress. We can't stay pure BSP forever.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
UT3 was developed for a console release parallel to it's PC release. The games have the same name and are supposed to be similar and equal. Maybe the PC UI were reduced at the start, but it ain't that now. If your computer don't switch from in-game to main menu within a second, you have a previous generation computer. Rage will have this feature as well, and id Software is sure taking a lot of time developing it.

Sometimes failure is not an option. This is the UT3 forum, hence it's our favorite game. Graphics are better because no other arena shooter is even near the UE3 technology. Level of detail and quality is unparalleled.

Last edited:

decayed

Apr 8, 2008
It wasn't ready for release, flopped hard, and will never recover. That's my biggest complaint.

FragTastic

Hitscanned
Nov 10, 2008
Still riding the "Zombie Horse"
Well im a lover of UT3, but that poll needs some help "UT3 is no good" would have been a better poll option. Who's going to vote "I suck?" whats the poll trying to achieve? ;)

Yerh I came from UT2K4 too and i agree the UI was better, However I dont play the UI, I play the game so meh whatever. I still have 2K4 and my ample custom collection from 2K4 on my puta's (all of them) but TBH it never gets played. The thing I missed most from UT3 was the hundreds of maps and mods and that situation has been addressed now except CTF4. Id really like Greed4 I reckon that would be awesome and if theres any coders out there wanna make it. Im in for at least 3 maps, so get cracking on it and PM me ;)

Sorry to wander OT a bit. Call it my birthday wish :p

Last edited: