UT3 Assault

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
By the time I took up 2k4, it was basically down to demo maps only. Convoy is the only Assault map I ever really played much. So it's the only one I'm interested in converting.

Unfortunately, UT3 Converter is giving me a BS error. I'm gonna fiddle with it some more and probably wind up posting at Epic for help. But if I can't convert most the meshes...... well, I just don't feel like doing a complete remake. We'll see what happens.

Sos_your_face

how you become manta?
Dec 8, 2008
S. Florida
www.clan-bge.com
Good news! It's a suppository! No, I took all the spaces out of the path names (as mentioned in this thread) and it worked as well as it's going to. Now I'll begin plugging everything in in UE3. My work should be cut out for me from here on out.

Cockbite

Jul 28, 2009
Awesome mod, Cowlike, Assault was one of my favorite game types from UT. I hope you are still working on this. After realizing that this mod was playable I downloaded it, and have now come here to report some feedback.

General Feedback
  • The game type has no preview pic. This is minor and was easy to fix myself.
  • You should really be using CTF settings and not DM. Using DM settings means a minimum of five rounds have to be played. I want to play one round, maybe three at most, and using CTF settings lets you choose numbers below five. This is minor too, and was also easy to fix myself.

Guardio Feedback
  • No preview pic.
  • The lava looks like water.
  • The Flak Cannon can destroy the tank in one shot, before the door is fully opened, and possibly before the tank is even occupied.
  • There isn't much point to this map now that we have AS-UT99_Guardia by Xumari.

ValleyBase Feedback
  • No preview pic.
  • Do I have to stay pressed against the button to call the bomber (for ~5-7 seconds), or is the button being unresponsive?
    Is there a delay between the time I press it, and the time the 'Incoming Bomber' message appears?​
    It's not working instantaneously like the Security Terminals do which is what I was expecting it to do.​
  • The blast door doesn't get destroyed by the bomber (Can I call a second one?), but the Flak Cannon destroys it in three shots.
  • There's a small problem with the lower left corner of the red blast door texture.
  • There is a massive hole in the terrain behind the base. It starts at the rear center and goes down around the right rear corner.
  • The Flak Cannon destroys the generator in one shot.
  • Your UTSpaceVolume_0 needs to have its damage type changed from DmgType_Fell to KillZDamageType. DmgType_Crushed or DmgType_Suicided would be fine too. Basically, it needs to be changed to anything but DmgType_Fell.
    The reason for this is that there are a few mutator that eliminate fall damage. When one of these mutators is active, falling off the generator platform makes you flop around like a fish instead of killing you. Furthermore, If you are still below the generator platform when the round ends, the camera is stuck on the victory scene when the next round starts.​

[SCREENSHOT]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8827/screenshot00001z.jpg[/SCREENSHOT][SCREENSHOT]http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/6686/screenshot00002e.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Right now, I think the biggest problem you have with this mod is that no one seems to know about it. You really need to advertise it and get the word out. Maybe post it in Epic's Beta Releases forum. Hopefully, this would get more people mapping for it as well as playing it. I'd really like to see conversions of the seven maps from UT. (Three are already in progress thanks to Xumari.)

Last edited:

PrototypeNr1

Jun 19, 2009
@ cockbite.

Cowlike didn't care about the maps. They are of course buggy. he is coder for the mod ;)
The rest is up to mappers :D and you are right, you have to advertise it on more forums. But first it needs to be playable. At the moment i am trying to set up a server for 3 Assault maps. We will first finish our beta-tests and then advertise it :D

Hi again Cowlike :D
Here you are some feedback:

First question: What about the toggable fortstandard? I mean that the completion of an objective makes available the next objective, and since that moment the FortStandard is disabled. It is possible?

Next bug report: about the Kismet bug. Do you remember the bug I reported with Set FortStandard Taget wich wasn't possible to link FortStandard woth his FortStandard object?? Well... there is the same bug with the action Complete FortStandard.

And the last question: Do you remember the first objective in UT2004 AS-Convoy? The bridge. If you remember, it was a HoldFort, but when the attacker left or die, the HoldTime returns to 0 and bridge returns to its original position. It is possible to make this in UT3??
Maybe adding a new Event: Touch (like a normal Trigger) with Touched and Untouched, and adding an option to reset the holded time.

Bye ;)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
It doesnt go back to zero instantly, it rolls back to 0 over a short time. If someone else touches the button soon enough, it won't be fully reset.

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Cockbite said:
You should really be using CTF settings and not DM. Using DM settings means a minimum of five rounds have to be played. I want to play one round, maybe three at most, and using CTF settings lets you choose numbers below five. This is minor too, and was also easy to fix myself.
Would be better indeed, I'll also add a config screen for the few specific options. You're right about the maps also but I don't plan to modify them, they were meant to get things started. They'll be a separate DL next time.

Xumari said:
First question: What about the toggable fortstandard? I mean that the completion of an objective makes available the next objective, and since that moment the FortStandard is disabled. It is possible?
Good question, I wonder if the default should be to have all objectives available at anytime, like it is right now , or to force the player to complete in order no matter where they can go in the map. Maybe second is better?

Xumari said:
Next bug report: about the Kismet bug. Do you remember the bug I reported with Set FortStandard Taget wich wasn't possible to link FortStandard woth his FortStandard object?? Well... there is the same bug with the action Complete FortStandard.
Yes it's the same kind of error, should be fixed without problem :)

Concerning the holdfort, I imagine the objective could get a bResetable, a "Time before reset", and a way to link it to the matinee reverse. Does it sound right?

Good question, I wonder if the default should be to have all objectives available at anytime, like it is right now , or to force the player to complete in order no matter where they can go in the map. Maybe second is better?
Well... it really depends on the map, but in most cases will be completed in order.
For example... remember UT2004 AS-Mothership?. This map has both cases. There are an objective list which must complete in order, but there are concrete objectives with multiple targets too, and every target has a FortStandard.

But now I'm thinking.... it's better to make to force to complete in order, and add a new option like CompletionOrder with the possibility to make simultaneous objective adding the same OrderID. If you add this option you will make possible both cases.
The solution is to make that or to add the option bStartEnabled giving the possibility to activate via kismet, with a ToggleOn. Personally I preffer this solution.
What do you think?

Concerning the holdfort, I imagine the objective could get a bResetable, a "Time before reset", and a way to link it to the matinee reverse. Does it sound right?
Yes, that's it.
By the moment, I "fake" that, but obiously there is no state bar on HUD. You can see the Kismet on the image below (it's a bit compleicated but it works)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 22

PrototypeNr1

Jun 19, 2009
In UT 99 Assault there wasn't an order for objectives. If you want a map to be completed after orders, just built the map like the attackers can't reach the other objectives before. If a mapper wants no order for the objectives he can make several ways. Let it be up to the mapper. That's my opinion

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Well I tried a quick change, what happens is that only the current objective appear, if objectives have a equal DefensePriority they are available at the same time, and optional objectives are available all the time. On top of that there could be a kismet action to enable them sooner if the mapper wants as Xumari suggested, so you could have UT99 style.

If a mapper wants no order for the objectives he can make several ways. Let it be up to the mapper. That's my opinion
Yes, the problem is that there is no possibility to set or force an objectives order.
In UT99 wasn't the tecnology to set order in objectives, but in UT2004 yes.

If Cowlike put the option I mentioned, the mapper have the possibility to set order (different OrderID) or set objectives without order (same OrderID).
The AI has this option: "DefensePriority", but not in FortStandard.

Well I tried a quick change, what happens is that only the current objective appear, if objectives have a equal DefensePriority they are available at the same time, and optional objectives are available all the time. On top of that there could be a kismet action to enable them sooner if the mapper wants as Xumari suggested, so you could have UT99 style.
Yes yes, that's I want to say! :D

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Would it be possible to release your maps in uncooked form? The problem is cooking embeds the whole mod in each map, which means they stay at 1.0c even with a more recent version of the mod

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Ok, I posted a new one, it should adress what we discussed so far except the excessive flak damage bug. My understanding is that the Take Damage event doesn't handle simultaneous projectiles very well.

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Not so fast it's a test thing that doesn't work :crysmile:
Next time I hope to get at least that one available
minigun.png