Why the low UT3 adoption?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
With Epics talk about classes and customizable character I had hoped for something like.

Light class ut2k3 mobility but carries less ammo and armor
Medium class UT mobility default ammo and armor
Heavy class UT3 mobility extra ammo, health and armor

Custom character, ability to fine tune character to your own personal playing style.

And default symetric pickups for the pro gamers.

Mmmm I suggest you then play XMP at 2k4 or utxmp....You know not everybody likes that kind of gameplay.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I always forget that the game came out in Germany a week earlier than everywhere else. WTF was the point of that?

Maybe (pure speculation) it had to do with the very close connection of Catzenjeger and Midway Germany.

About the censored version: It was very easy to "unlock". It was Midway who screwed up badly. I remeber PMing with Jeff Morris about the Version I bought and how easy it could be "unlocked" and how he wanted to "have a talk with MW-Germany". :D

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
UT3 doesn't have a high learning curve, and the first few missions of the campaign serve as a tutorial.

That depends on what your learning. If learning how to make the guns shoot is all, then that's quick, a very short learning curve. If playing the game at a moderate skill level is what you mean,, then your totally wrong. UT3 has a very substantial learning curve. Even coming in from UT2K4, it takes substantial time to learn how to best use the weapons and movement. It takes alot of play time and practice, especially online.The campaign may be a tutorial of sort, but bots do not play like real folks and do little to prepare you to face many online players. This game just has a great deal of depth and it does take a long time to master the different weapons and skills. I have been playing since day one and guesstimate I am still very very far from mastering even half it.

$hagratH

Jan 24, 2008
my idea to the lack of UT3 players in europe is this:rolleyes:
when u make a game that is supposed to take over and be a good follower to lets say UT 2k4,,,i really dont think that when u have added something to a game
u just cant remove it and replace it with something else,that goes to movement
so this is why i think theres a lack of players here
but this is just my 2 cents of it
the weapons in UT3 are superb.............:D

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
If you're talking about new players, you are 100% wrong.
Because?
You think a huge influx of new players are coming to any UT game? No.
There isn't, but it's pointless to measure now. What matters is, e.g. 1 year after the release of each UT.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
No Assault gave me nothing to start with. I find the other game types boring. With UT and 2k4, Assault got me into the game and then in to the other types. It is the same for most of the AS community.

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Mmmm I suggest you then play XMP at 2k4 or utxmp....You know not everybody likes that kind of gameplay.

Have they improved the netcode for XMP or ballanced it? Was a while since I played it.

And even less people likes to be forced to play a highly restricted way.

light/med/heavy would have allowed most tiers to faceoff on common ground, instead of how ut3 managed to almost alienate everyone...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Have they improved the netcode for XMP or ballanced it? Was a while since I played it.

It's balanced and the netcode has always been good for U2XMP, as for UTXMP, it has improved and is just as good as U2XMP (except for ridiculous amount of damage taken by crashing vehicles into trees).

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Same answer that provided greatemerald....netcode is fine. I dunno why became less played across the time they published until today

el muerte: Lmao that would be inmedialtely death xd xd

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
"I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it."

Requires a graphics card far, far more powerful than I have to run, and so to get it working at a decent speed I have to kind of put it on the lowest visual settings and then it looks silly.

Also, aside from making it not work on my computer, the added visual details get kind of distracting. If you've got super-clean map design like in UT99 or Q3, or a heavy reliance on bright, primary colors like in Ut2K4, it's a lot easier to process the relevant visual details. Too much greeble and it just gets a bit distracting.

And I think minimalist design just looks a wee bit classier.

(Yes, I know. Use user made maps. The official maps sort of dictate the style you see in the user made maps, though, I've noticed).

Last edited:

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
"I'm wondering why people haven't adopted it."

Requires a graphics card far, far more powerful than I have to run, and so to get it working at a decent speed I have to kind of put it on the lowest visual settings and then it looks silly.

Also, aside from making it not work on my computer, the added visual details get kind of distracting. If you've got super-clean map design like in UT99 or Q3, or a heavy reliance on bright, primary colors like in Ut2K4, it's a lot easier to process the relevant visual details. Too much greeble and it just gets a bit distracting.

And I think minimalist design just looks a wee bit classier.

(Yes, I know. Use user made maps. The official maps sort of dictate the style you see in the user made maps, though, I've noticed).

I don't know why Epic should cater to those on 5 year old hardware...

**** when I was still on a 7600gt I could play the UT3 demo.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Shlomo said:
I don't know why Epic should cater to those on 5 year old hardware...

**** when I was still on a 7600gt I could play the UT3 demo.
Because they profit the same from a guy that has a slow rig, than from one that as an i7 and a 295GTX

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
I'm not saying they SHOULD cater to that crowd. I'm just saying it prevented me from playing the game (outside of the demo, of course. It's not like I didn't try it out).

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Because what? I thought it was pretty obvious. New players in UT2004 get DESTROYED. They don't survive longer, unless you mean on ONS running from the power core to wherever the action is. In DM/TDM/CTF/DDOM/BR they are pretty likely to get zero points, have zero kills, and die hundreds of times before the game ends.
There isn't, but it's pointless to measure now. What matters is, e.g. 1 year after the release of each UT.
Then you would have to say that every UT game other than UT has had massively declining player counts since the day it was released. It doesn't really matter how many people are playing, unless they are all playing invasion RPG.

My point really was that UT3 is easier to feel useful in than UT2004, and that is mostly due to the fact that it is easier to get what I'll call "accidental kills".

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Sir_Brizz said:
Translation: "I can't refute your points."
I don't care to refute your "points". I answer to you with the intention of presenting a possible reason why UT3 has low adoption.

Good night, sleep well