Would UT4 have chest-high walls if it got produced?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Would UT4 have chest-high walls if it got produced?

• Yes

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 20 62.5%

• Total voters

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Would be a step in the right direction, slow the game down some so you can enjoy and savor every frag, team based gameplay actually focus on teamwork, semi realistic weapons slightly over the top rather than the UT3 Bayformers, good solid singleplayer that can be played coop aswell...

Wouldn't that NOT be Unreal Tournament? Wouldn't that be more along the lines of just another clone of any shooter in the past 3 or 4 years?

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Some people like shovelware <shrugs>

Remember the time when all the Counterstrike players came into every community saying it needs to be just like it?

Obviously the best games in each genre are not shovelware... don't get me wrong... but the "me toos" often are.

Last edited:

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
Like ETQW on the human's side?

Eh not really QW is predominatley hitscan, mid range and dosent offer much in terms of close range or projectile based weaponary, QW also lacks gibs and gore and since players goes unconcius first it isnt really rewarding either.

While GDF cna do lot of things that resembles teamwork, most of it isnt very effective or practical in actual playing. Putting 5 guys in a bumbelbee wont win you any game but give the Strogg a nice laughter as they blow you out of the sky.

GDF arsenal is fairly modern in apperance so I dont really see the resemblance there, previous UT titles weapons looked like fairly solid over the top weapons meant to hurt the one on the reciving end, while UT3's simply looks like elaborate mousetraps.

QW dosent have a singleplayer or coop or dosent really follow a storyline, but its still lightyears better than Epics feble attempt at making DM/CTF a storydriven campaign.

I would have given cinsiderably more slack to UT3 if it would simple have been a reenactment of historic events and this was just a part of the tournament.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I see. For me ETQW just sucks less that some tactical FPS due to great natural looking graphics, sci-fi, creative weapons/characters/vehicles, etc... But sometimes it was still pure "LOL WTF"!

I played for a few hours online againts some clan players and I was surely owned by guys that knew the tricks of the maps. But they are so used to take cover, slow pace and being so dependent of others, that they were pityful on their own on open areas. Either hide and I often even managed to go there and own, or caught in the open they don't even know or remember to circle strafe!

btw, remember this?
tut1.png

tut2.png

The above is what Unreal Tournament is about. It's not tactical and not a CS wannabe. It's a sport, not a war. It's fast paced. It's free-for-all without classes or hierarchies or Orb carriers. You destroy by any means necessary, not only the ways that you believe that require "skill". You should be always moving, not camping and covering your butt as the main tactic.

Then for the ones that believe that UT is dying becasue the genre is not popular: there's a very popular game that on first impression is similar to UT. It happened to sell millions and it's the most popular game on XBL. Go figure.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
The above is what Unreal Tournament is about. It's not tactical and not a CS wannabe. It's a sport, not a war. It's fast paced. It's free-for-all without classes or hierarchies or Orb carriers. You destroy by any means necessary, not only the ways that you believe that require "skill". You should be always moving, not camping and covering your butt as the main tactic.

there is no orb in dm. and please, dont hate on my precious orb :mad:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000

The above is what Unreal Tournament is about. It's not tactical and
There are and always will be tactics in every game.
Just because there's no standardised drills/maneuvers as used in 'real' combat that does not mean there's no tactics or strategy.
What you should be saying is that in a fast-paced game like UT you can compensate lack of tactics by having fast reflexes.

.... It's a sport, not a war.
And why does that matter ?
Both are on-line games ... and that is the one and only reason why (certain) 'real world tactics' (ie : the stuff taught in the army) tend to fail.

You destroy by any means necessary,
not only the ways that you believe that require "skill". You should be always moving, not camping and covering your butt as the main tactic.
Please explain how you can say that 'any means necessary' should exclude camping as a main tactic ?

(I should note that 'any means necessary' would make cheating a legit tactic in your book, but I doubt you meant that so I'll leave it at that ;))

Then for the ones that believe that UT is dying becasue the genre is not popular: there's a very popular game that on first impression is similar to UT. It happened to sell millions and it's the most popular game on XBL. Go figure.
Would you mind telling us what that game is, because not everyone knows the statistics for XBL
I'd argue that this 'very popular game' is missing the flaws that made UT suck as a game for the masses.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
He said "Not Camping and Covering your butt as the main tactic."

Obviously it can happen... but is really hard when people are so mobile... you end up becoming the easy-to-hit target.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
JaFO, what would you suggest to improve UT? Do you want to bring CS or CoD elements into the game? Just asking ...

Let me ask in another way: what makes influences from CS or CoD more important or valuable than others from Aion, Halo, MDK2, Mirror's Edge, Portal, Stalker, Tomb Raider, Prototype, etc... ? Not talking about online, just gameplay.

Last edited:

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Please explain how you can say that 'any means necessary' should exclude camping as a main tactic ?
Because camping, sneaking and sniping is lame and should render a ban. Only weak and unexperienced players use these "tactix", some experienced players too but they are noobs.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
One thing is the way a game is designed, other is how players try to win. You are mixing the two, or at least you believe I'm doing so. I'm not.

What I want is that UT remains UT, with it's spirit preserved. I couldn't care less how you play to win within UT. However, I don't like gameplay modifications that dumb it down to tactical shooter level and induces that playing style, or at least those influences aren't more valuable than from other game genre.

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Because camping, sneaking and sniping is lame and should render a ban. Only weak and unexperienced players use these "tactix", some experienced players too but they are noobs.

using the sniper is not lame at all. hiding with the charged up bio riffle behind the corner in bta/whoring the stinger on a 200 hp player are lame. at least usign the sniper requries aiming. and if he is camping with his sniper, then ill take MY sniper and headshot him while im midair :p

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Run up behind a camper and teach him what molten flak feels like when inserted anally.

Personally I'd love to see another arena shooter. One that's not based on Quake and ridiculous trick jumping and some actual original weapons (not shotgun/sniper rifle replacement/minigun/melee)

Shlomo

Jul 24, 2008
Would be a step in the right direction, slow the game down some so you can enjoy and savor every frag, team based gameplay actually focus on teamwork, semi realistic weapons slightly over the top rather than the UT3 Bayformers, good solid singleplayer that can be played coop aswell...

Lol...

Oh **** I think I broke my nose from facepalming so hard

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
if the player that is 'weak' and 'unexperienced' then he should not be a threat to you regardless of his tactic.
If he is a threat then you should learn from that experience and counter.
It should be pretty easy if your opponent is as 'unskilled' and 'inexperienced' as you claim.
The only reason camping,etc can be impossible to deal with is if the situation does not allow for a counter. However this usually is the result of the wrong map for the wrong rules.

JaFO, what would you suggest to improve UT?...
in one sentence : re-examine what UT really should be and find a way to build & improve upon that idea

Let me ask in another way: what makes influences from CS or CoD more important or valuable than others from Aion, Halo, MDK2, Mirror's Edge, Portal, Stalker, Tomb Raider, Prototype, etc... ? Not talking about online, just gameplay.
all of these influences are equally valuable.

One should definitely look at what other games have done and then adapt, adopt and/or improve whenever possible.

I'd also suggest Shadowrun and Wet (watch this video and tell me it's not 'unreal' ;)) as possible sources of ideas.

I think it is very possible to create a next-gen UT that is both 'Unreal' and 'fresh' at the same time.

The only problem is that it is very rare for the fans of an existing franchise to allow for such a reboot (although other media have managed such things. ie : Batman & James Bond).

That's why I'd wished that Epic had never released UT3 ... not because it is a 'bad' game, but because it was neither a good enough reboot of the series nor a good enough sequel despite the fact that it is a pretty decent game.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Speaking of chest-high walls, I was playing Marathon Infinity recently. That's all the first level is. A huge maze with chest-high walls and because you can't jump you need to find elevators up three.

Oh lordy.

Now what's this notion that UT doesn't require tactics? UT99 required loads of tactics, just like Quake 3, or UT2K4's teamplay modes, or plenty of other multiplayer-oriented FPSes. I mean you can TRY to play without think but you're probably just going to lose to someone that actually knows what they're doing.

Most multiplayer FPSes are really incredibly obtuse physics puzzles disguised as action games. For instace, just because I'm been playing it a lot recently, let's say you're in Quake Live, and you've just hit one of those accelerator pads and you're flying across the map. You want to hit someone with a rocket to pop them up into the air, then hit them again, straight-on, to kill them. They're also moving. Lots of players can do it. I definitely cannot.

Maybe it's not tactics in a traditional "defend the flag, build sentry here, whatever" sort of sense, but there's some intense math and physics going on there, which you just have to instinctively see and know.

(Subsequently, this IS why I'm not fond of Morbias-style maps, or UT2K4's deathmatch maps as they were rather open and sort of amounted to taking potshots down a long hallway a little too often).

In any case, I think UT's strong point has always been the teamplay modes, which it does better, I think than... most other games with team-based stuff. And I mean, you play CTF with everyone rushing the other base at the same time, and nobody's going to win any time soon. Except a lot of people do play like that which is a LITTLE annoying.

(Of course, I'd argue that something like CS doesn't require a great deal of tactics, because A) 90% of servers just run Dust all the time and B) 90% of servers ban you for things like jumping or sniping or defending your... whatever you're trying to defend. So you're pretty much reduced to just running straight at the enemy with a pistol (because using smoke grenades will ALSO get you banned) which doesn't require a lot of thought or skill. Just good aim and being able to get the first shot. (Although if you get too many kills you'll be banned for cheating, or something)

Yes. Yes, I AM bitter. Why do you ask?).