You Can't Kill the METAL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Good thing it's settled. Activision acted really retarded on this one.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Good thing it's settled. Activision acted really retarded on this one.
Breaking a legally binding contract is even more retarded.
And it did get settled ... and that sort of stuff usually means Activision got something in return.
It may not be what they said they wanted, but if their lawyers were any good it probably was what they really wanted.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Only thing I can think of is that they realized the game might have some potential and shouldn't have given up the IP.
This is my personal translation of the entire situation:

Activision no longer cares about an ip they are developing and throws it in the gutter.

Double Fine picks it up because, unlike Activision, they care and continue work on it. Activision is like "yeah whatever, we dropped our ip for a reason and it's probably going to suck anyway" and lets have Double Fine have its way with it.

Then it suddenly appears that Brutal Legend is getting a lot of attention and might potentially turn out into a really popular game and Activision goes like "oh hey, but that was OUR game and WE were supposed to develop popular games like that" and then they sue Double Fine in order to prevent its release because they can't cope with the fact that they have been stupid to drop their ip like that while realizing that, under the helm of a company that cares, this "lost cause" is shaping up into what's very likely going to be a succesful game.

So that's what I mean with retarded behaviour. Or childish behaviour, if you will.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
that's assuming that Activision gave no money to the studio for developing the game ...
can't exactly blame Activision for wanting their money back.
then again ... I guess hating activision for being successful is the popular thing to do now that EA has gone 'good'.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
It's not that hating activision is popular it's that they ditched the game that doublefine was making, said do what you want and when EA swooped in to publish it and it started getting promoted like crazy, they tried to kill the competition. That's just crap. I'm glad this whole thing has blown over, so Brutal Legend can come out and activision can go back to spamming guitar hero games.

~Jason

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
... I guess hating activision for being successful is the popular thing to do now that EA has gone 'good'.
So, when I say I disagree with one single action a company makes then that makes me an "Activision hater"? Wow, you're someone who makes quick assumptions. And according to you, that also automatically makes me someone who always hated EA until they became "okay" for I-already-forgot-for-whatever-reason? Okay, well if you want me to be that guy, then I'll be that kind of guy, just for you.

Anyway, to go back on topic, Dragonfliet summarized my thoughts on this case in one single sentence, and thus better than I ever could. Thanks. :)

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
that's assuming that Activision gave no money to the studio for developing the game ...
can't exactly blame Activision for wanting their money back.
then again ... I guess hating activision for being successful is the popular thing to do now that EA has gone 'good'.

Nope. Now they're both evil. Don't know where you got that impression. EA hasn't dropped the DRM and Activision is getting their acid-dipped, razor-tipped strap on for the PC gamers ready.

Brutal Legend Soundtrack
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59908

SO ****ING METAL! :rockon:

Oh no. The one In Flames song was their mall-rock stuff. And Marilyn Manson? I am sad. Motley Crue? No. Five Judas Priest? A little excessive. Etc.

Last edited: