Unreal: S3 Savage 3D Gallery Bonus Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I am making another attempt to demonstrate this as the old threads got really, really old or really, really spammed. So I guess there should be a nice clean first post with the pack...

S3 Savage3D Unreal Gallery
BETA2 Release 12.17.98

Q: What is this pack?
A: This is a showcase map pack made by S3 Graphics for Unreal.

Q: What does this showcase demonstrate?
A: The advantage of S3 Texture Compression over standard texture compression techniques. Basically, S3TC textures are way better in terms of quality than their mundane counterparts.

Q: What are the contents?
A: 4 environments in various stages of completion (hence the 'beta').

The exact file list is:

Maps:

~the Egyptian environment~
- DMEgypt1.unr
- DMEgyptF.unr
~the Control Room environment~
- DMFly1B.unr
- DMS3Movie.unr
~the Graffiti Museum environment~
- DMS3Gallery.unr
- DMS3GalleryB.unr
~the Savage Streets environment~
- DMSavageStreets1.unr
- DMSavageStreets1Bots.unr
- DMStreet1.unr
- DMStreets2.unr
- DMStreets2Bots.unr
- DMStreets2Light.unr

Textures:

Addon.utx
AStreet.utx
BigPic.utx
BigPicGall.utx
Egypt.utx
Fields.utx
Fields2.utx
FramEdge.utx
Marble.utx
Marble30.utx
Movies.utx
Movies2.utx
Nile.utx
Pictures.utx
Pictures30.utx
SavageSt.utx
SavageSt2.utx
SavageStSky.utx
TestCld2.utx
TestClds.utx
Theatre.utx
Theatre2.utx

Now, I made some screenies of the maps. These can be found below. The screenshots were all made on Unreal v227f with Direct3D9 renderer selected and on highest possible settings I could set.

The file can be downloaded here:

FileFront - 178 MB

I do have a few questions myself, concerning the pack. It is labeled as beta and I added a freely available DMEgyptF which is the final version of DMEgypt1 to the files that I ripped from the S3 Unreal CD. Now, if that level could be finalized (two months later, check the datestamps!), where are the rest of the 'final' versions?

Now, in the old threads I stumbled upon several filenames. The files are long gone, but perhaps...? In any case, these are:

- egypt.zip (included!)
- s3gal.zip (missing, anyone has it?)
- s3mov2.zip (missing, anyone has it?)
- the filename for Streets is unknown (perhaps it was never releasesd on the web?)

Another question is: DID THEY MAKE MORE? That is DEFINITELY the case, perhaps the mapper still has the files somewhere? In any case, according to the screenshots, his name is Michael Scott Cohen of Ghostwheel Studios, there is also an e-mail address: ghostwheel@mindspring.com - I tried to send a mail, but it got bounced, guess the address is dead. Anyone has an up-to-date address?

PROOF:

http://www.tweakpc.de/berichte/cebit99/s3_2.html

This article contains screenshots of ANOTHER s3tc demo level, a SPACE one. There is also a 'MultiTexturing' screen that shows a different version of the Graffiti Museum with a mirror effect inside. HELP! Dang it, we must find it! I ask thee: does anyone know how to contact the author of this article? Perhaps he still has the level...

EDIT:

I registered myself at TweakPC in an attempt to contact the article's author. If I discover his/her identity and contact that person directly, we might stand a chance...

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

url]
url]
url]

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
As for the screens: I tried to make them clickable as URLs, but to no avail. Luckily, there is a simple workaround for them to display fullsize:

Right click on one and copy its address into a new tab. Remove the "m" from the end of the filename (just before the extension) and you have the full screen.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Very nice stuff and downloading. I could swear I have seen this all already a longer time ago. I am looking forward for this highres egypt texture stuff. Pretty slow download. But thanks for this thread :)

Diehard

Yeah this stuff was released earlyer as the Unreal_S3TC_MapPack.exe executable.

And that screenshot from space is known alright, and if i am correct it also was used for the publications from that Unreal interior decorater editor, just cant get to its name nor the link to that site. Looked for it but couldnt find it that fast.

And though the textures are good, they are pretty useless for editing, because the textures are designed for those maps in specific. Which means theres simply not enough textures in the packages to build a map out of it. But the special effects textures can be used as decoration, and they could look pretty cool in a map. Often thought about it using them for a project.

All this reminds me that i still have to add this stuff to the site, including the extracted textures in zipfiles. But my todo list already is long lol.

Edit:

Found this link in my archive: http://web.archive.org/web/20000229231732/www.s3.com/savage3d/index.htm

Last edited:

Diehard

Found another link to Unreal stuiff, but kinda unrelated to this thread. But i did found back the page i mentioned before: http://web.archive.org/web/20000901083934/http://www.unrealty.net/vsmm99/

And on itself it got some interesting screenshots as well, the program is called Unrealty, though i am wondering if you really will be able to sell a house build in Unreal, while you show it at your real estate office running around with a 3D rifle lmao.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
And though the textures are good, they are pretty useless for editing, because the textures are designed for those maps in specific. Which means theres simply not enough textures in the packages to build a map out of it
True but it doesn't change the fact, however, that some good stuff is inside there. I found already some good instustrial textures and ok exactly 2 brick textures for egypt which I could use for example in combination with ut2004 egypt textures without big problems.
Did you try it actually? The animations look most amazing there I think.
There is no need to try it out because ut egypt and this egypt package have nothing in common.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I sent the following Question through the Feedback option on S3 Graphics site:

Dear S3 staff.

My question is not that about an accelerator device, but rather a piece of OEM software that was included with it.

Amongst Unreal game fans it is known that a special edition of Unreal was included with one of your Savage series accelerator cards.

All over the network bits and pieces of information can be found about that edition. It featured exclusive demonstration levels all filled with your S3 textures.

Now I recently discovered that it didn't include all exclusive maps that the S3 company has created.

Let me include a link to a TweakPC.de article describing your creations:

http://www.tweakpc.de/berichte/cebit99/s3_2.html

Now in the edition I own there are 11 exclusive maps, these are listed below:

~the Egyptian environment~
- DMEgypt1.unr
~the Control Room environment~
- DMFly1B.unr
- DMS3Movie.unr
~the Graffiti Museum environment~
- DMS3Gallery.unr
- DMS3GalleryB.unr
~the Savage Streets environment~
- DMSavageStreets1.unr
- DMSavageStreets1Bots.unr
- DMStreet1.unr
- DMStreets2.unr
- DMStreets2Bots.unr
- DMStreets2Light.unr

Somewhere on the network I also found a final version of the Egyptian environment, DMEgyptF.unr.

These are just INCREDIBLE - I sometimes catch myself on starting up Unreal just to take a stroll in one of these beautiful environments, only admiring the textures' perfection.

Thing is, according to that TweakPC article, I don't own all of these maps. There is a Space Station environment, shown on the screens and the Graffiti Museum is updated with a mirror effect.

Is there a chance someone at S3 could supply the Unreal community with the missing textures and maps? It is very important to collectors, regular players and content creators alike, as a source of inspiration or simply as a masterpiece to admire.

I'm looking forward to your reply,
Yours faithfully,
Bruno Glening

Now we just need to sit and wait.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
True but it doesn't change the fact, however, that some good stuff is inside there. I found already some good instustrial textures and ok exactly 2 brick textures for egypt which I could use for example in combination with ut2004 egypt textures without big problems.

There is no need to try it out because ut egypt and this egypt package have nothing in common.

Huh? I meant the maps itself, there are some cool animations there, I have't truied this beta but I remember the originals.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
This is the same pack that I previously released as Unreal_S3TC_MapPack before, this time it is a zip file :p And it contains only the maps from the S3 OEM build, sans the 3dfx DMs (BayC, etc...). Gotta keep that stuff clean.

Do you have any contacts inside S3, Leo?

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Huh? I meant the maps itself, there are some cool animations there, I have't truied this beta but I remember the originals.
Yeah, sure! Just wanted to say that this egypt texture pack is not the highres version of the ut one, although it should be clear. :)
Only bad that they did not select a better packagename (because of the conflict with the ut one).

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
This is the same pack that I previously released as Unreal_S3TC_MapPack before, this time it is a zip file :p And it contains only the maps from the S3 OEM build, sans the 3dfx DMs (BayC, etc...). Gotta keep that stuff clean.

Do you have any contacts inside S3, Leo?

No, I don't sorry.