Putting Unreal Tournamnent On Hold

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Sigh. I'm sick of seeing this.

You do realize:

• Ryan Gordon is one person.
  • He has to do two ports at once, for two different operating systems.
  • UT3 is not the only project he has to do.
  • With all due respect, people who expect every game under the sun to come out immediately for Linux and Mac and/or expect to be able to do lots of gaming on Linux or Mac, are pretty damn foolish.
Does it suck Ryan Gordon isn't doing much more in terms of updates? Yes. Does it mean it's cancelled? No. I'm pretty sure either he or Epic would say the deal is off if it were cancelled.

If UT3 was promised on Mac/Linux, perhaps you can except some people to be unhappy about the lack of a release.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Yes, but expecting these things WHILE the game is still relevant seems reasonable. This game isn't anymore.
Until the next UT comes out, the game is still relevant.
If UT3 was promised on Mac/Linux, perhaps you can except some people to be unhappy about the lack of a release.
Indeed, and that is one of the gaffes Epic did make with UT3. But people also have to be reasonable - unless there's plenty of funding and a whole team working on it, a game likely won't have a port quickly. When you have one man working on two versions of the port and other projects at the same time, you can't seriously expect it to be out very quickly at all.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Indeed, and that is one of the gaffes Epic did make with UT3. But people also have to be reasonable - unless there's plenty of funding and a whole team working on it, a game likely won't have a port quickly. When you have one man working on two versions of the port and other projects at the same time, you can't seriously expect it to be out very quickly at all.

One rumour floating around says that there might also be some legal obstacles to do with the physics technology used in the game.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
But people also have to be reasonable...
Come on!

Two months before the game was available in the shops, WarTourist was saying,

Originally Posted by http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/203_1.php
[EPIC]WarTourist: Dunno...linux game exe in the box and mac version soon after.
It's now, what, some 20 months after the game shipped? I don't know about you but I'm not very impressed by the project management skills that can say "in the box" 8 weeks out (and remember, gold date would have been even closer) and still not have delivered nearly two years later. I think that if WarTourist could say "in the box" that close to the shipping date then I am not being unreasonable in taking him at his word in the first place and also not unreasonable in being quite unhappy at the current situation.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The difference is, you don't know what issues, if any, are just preventing it from being released.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The difference is, you don't know what issues, if any, are just preventing it from being released.
Irrelevant, as usual.

Epic (through WT) made the promise regarding delivery and it is Epic that has failed to deliver. I don't have to know why that is to be unimpressed.

Are you really telling me that in real life, if a software supplier told you everything was hunky dory 2 months out from the end of a (say) 12-18 month long development and then had still failed to deliver 22 months later that you or your management would be saying, "be reasonable"? Aye, right.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Irrelevant, as usual.

Epic (through WT) made the promise regarding delivery and it is Epic that has failed to deliver. I don't have to know why that is to be unimpressed.

Are you really telling me that in real life, if a software supplier told you everything was hunky dory 2 months out from the end of a (say) 12-18 month long development and then had still failed to deliver 22 months later that you or your management would be saying, "be reasonable"? Aye, right.
They probably didn't foresee such issues at the time of making the statement.

The Unreal Engine has a lot of middleware, and all of that middleware has to be cleared for every platform the game was on.

Legal bull**** sometimes does take years to resolve.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
i believe that the business of putting another UT retail release on the shelf for at least a few years has alot to do with...

Epic is working on alot more stuff now than they were ten years ago
they are going to release a few entirely new games in the next couple years and UT development may be done in the background
they have ideas about doing a new UT release around the time the new engine arrives on the scene
they know they need a fresh take on the FPS genre (like UT was) and on the FPS community if its going to wildly succeed again.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Legal bull**** sometimes does take years to resolve.
Not my problem (if that is the problem) and do remember that "at that time" was just before they were due to ship - licence clearance should have been done very early in the project or at the point when some new middleware was adopted.

If this happened in another walk of life would you really be so "reasonable"?

"Your new house will have a central heating boiler."

"I'm sorry there's a problem with the central heating boiler. It turns out that someone has a patent claim on the pump widget and so we can't fit the boiler"

and either,

"Don't worry. We've got some new pumps and we've got a team working on fitting them but the boiler might be a couple of weeks late"

or

"Don't worry. We've got one man* and his dog on the issue and if you come back in a couple of years time we might have something to tell you"

Now I know that there is a difference is seriousness between no central heating boiler over two winters and a game and also that there is no formal contractual arrangement in place to guarantee the delivery of a Linux client. In the end, Epic can walk away from this if they want but please do not expect me to feel "reasonable" about the matter.

How long do you think I should wait before my view does become reasonable?

• 20 months
  • 24 months
  • 36 months
  • For ever

Pick one. :)

*albeit very capable!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't think it was unreasonable to expect a Linux client at launch, but it is unreasonable to think that Epic is just maliciously holding it back for no good reason. If they could release it, why wouldn't they? It makes no sense to think this is some ploy against Linux/Mac gamers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I cannot see anywhere in this thread where anyone has suggested that.

How about responding to the argument that is being made - just for a change?
What for? You haven't made any point that is worth responding to.

Your analogy is based on a false premise. And besides that it doesn't even logically fit the situation. So how can I respond to that?

Your other "point" is largely subjective, because you're free to be upset about the client as much as humanly possible.

My post was just leading off of yours and making a completely separate point. Why does my post have to have anything to do with what you said at all? I didn't even quote you!

Good job getting worked about nothing.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, let's get specific for no reason, right? :shake: Just give up. You've made yourself look like a fool twice now. Please stop posting.