AV/Firewall: What do you use/like

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Tried Avast and this is the end result:

F*** it
Offered no option to close the program, actively refused to be removed from startup and denied me from ending it's processes or changing it's services

When I want a program to close, it had better damn well close. If it won't, it's gone
Think about that one for a second. how much use would any type of security software* be if all malicious software had to do is simply killing the task before sending data or downloading/decompressing/whatever a bigger chunk of code that is the real malware?

*just for the records, this doesn't say anything about my opinion of them

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
"Avast! Home 4.8 ( soon to be Microsoft Security Essentials)"
:eek:
So when is this supposed to happen? I guess I better update Avast! on my Win98SE machine soon.......after that last update I guess it will just remain protected as much as it can with the latest 4.8 behind the router.
(for some reason I missed reading this the first time around in this thread)

EDIT:
:) nevermind, I guess it's time for me to update it anyway and I'm glad I didn't start a thread over at amdmb (pcper) forums asking about it.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I meant I replaced Avast with MSE :D

I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials now, in very limited beta. It's good. Damn good.
I think everyone is going to be very pleased with this when it's available for the general public.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Firewall: built-in Windows XP firewall (I'm behind a router anyway)
AV: Avira AntiVir Personal Classic

But most importantly: I don't use software with such gapping design bugs as ActiveX.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
Not a guarantee!

There's always clamav.

Wikipedia said:
There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces;

I'll take my chances. You must either be an idiot and running in root always, or run random files as root. If you get a virus on any Unix derivative you need to back away from a computer, and never use one again :p

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Wikipedia said:
There has not yet been a single widespread Linux malware threat of the type that Microsoft Windows software currently faces;

Trust me when I tell you that I'm not taking the word of Wikipedia as gospel when it comes to the security of my computer.

However, read your own quote, "not yet been a single widespread" is not the same as "none". That is all I was pointing out when I stated that Linux is not a guarantee.

I'll take my chances.

You will indeed.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
lol... nothing as dumb as a *software* firewall running on the machine it's intended to keep secure. Same goes w/ AV software. Seriously people... you think software keeps you safe? No. I'm afraid not. It can't protect you from yourself. The best way to get your malicious software on to someone's system is to simply disguise it as and anti-malware program.

I don't bother w/ any of this. Cuz it does *not* protect you. You need protection you go hire people to monitor your network.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
If you download some random AV/Antispyware tool of some suspicious website ofc it won't keep you safe. HF with your troyan.

Running without AV and without a firewall is suicide. Firewalls are in most routers nowadays so you dont need a software firewall but you should have antivirus software installed esp if you download files from the internet frequently.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
must be something in the air in Tucson today.;)

Anyway, just for clarification purposes, I realize this thread is asking about AV and firewalls but since others are posting spyware and adware and malware protection programs I'll go ahead and post mine. These are the adware/spyware/malware programs I'm using these days:

SpywareBlaster
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SuperAntiSpyware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware