Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
In terms of value, L4D has WAY more than any HL game, IMO. I spent $45 on it and have spent hundreds of hours playing it. Same kind of value as UT, tbfh.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
SP FTW!

Unreal 3
<desciples file by with candle in hand to keep the SP fire burning>

Last edited:

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Even Left4Dead (the first one) had far less content than the shortest Episode (Ep1) of HL2. L4D2 is mostly based on L4D1 and thus needs not as much work.

Amd since "everyone" was dull enough and paid the full price for this budget game with very little content Valce is only clever to put out a second L4D to milk the customers before working on Ep3.

That has to be the most accurate post in this thread lol. For some reason when people see the label 'valve' they loose all sense and buy whatever **** they throw at them.

As for the whole Epic drama, I think it's best if we don't have any more CliffyB experience on the PC at all. This guy shot himself in the foot so many times that I think it's time for him to retire or stop making stupid comments for life. Like "piracy is killing the PC platform!" and "....like...everyone knows what torrent is man!". He got what he deserved for saying that with the pirated GOW2 copies even before official release! :lol:

I want my Unreal 3!

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
Well at least it will forever be called the "Unreal Engine", and not something else lame like Epic Licensed Middleware.

you mean you missed the part about the new engine being renamed to EpicEngine4.0?

honestly i hope we see a complete new take on the series when the new engine is ready... UT4 can be the ultimate tech demo for the new engine... MMOFPS, Social Networking the whole 99 yards, and maybe this time it will have more polish and feeling when its released (and voice pack support!!!) ;)

as for UT3 (which i still think is the best of the series, even though my first love is still Unreal/UT) hope we get a nice big patch with an ECE type pack after the MSU contest is done like ut2k4 got... that might actually keep us going to 2012 and UT4 :cool: 'cause honestly i cant even think about changing my name right now.

and if this is the end of UT and they just couldnt man up and say it, in the immortal words of Dennis Leary, 'thank you and f*** you' :)

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
In terms of value, L4D has WAY more than any HL game, IMO. I spent $45 on it and have spent hundreds of hours playing it. Same kind of value as UT, tbfh.

Maybe replay value, yes (I had fun with it too... ...20 minutes). But I meant content-wise. Otherwise it would mean that Tetris, Solitaire or whatever could be sold for $150 which are the most played games worldwide by far.

And I was hinting at the "uprising at the Valve forums" after the announcement of L4D2, which in 90% of the peoples' opinion there should have been dlc for L4D to justify the price for the first one (and a lot of them were L4D fans).

Last edited:

Unreal4Eva

BioHazard!
May 19, 2009
Have to agree with this. Plenty of folks felt the same way & looking back on it now, it was the start of the Death March for the UT series.
Then what about the competition between Quake series and the Unreal series? I doubt it. Unreal4Life!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Maybe replay value, yes (I had fun with it too... ...20 minutes). But I meant content-wise. Otherwise it would mean that Tetris, Solitaire or whatever could be sold for $150 which are the most played games worldwide by far.

And I was hinting at the "uprising at the Valve forums" after the announcement of L4D2, which in 90% of the peoples' opinion there should have been dlc for L4D to justify the price for the first one (and a lot of them were L4D fans).
Tetris didn't have much content and the gameplay is completely basic. Same with Solitaire. Besides, people seem to be able to charge $50 for remakes of those games every few years, too :p

Content-wise, I think you'd be hard pressed to say that L4D doesn't have about the same amount of content as Hl2 Ep1. Pretty bad one to compare with, imo, since it's the shortest and blandest of the entire series.

I consider value to be: fun to play, good mechanics, high replay, good support. L4D has all of these things, so it's not just a great investment based on hours spent, but because it's a fun game with good balance and nice mechanics, plus the co-op aspect of it which is pretty much unrivaled still.

Anyway, ultimately your point is simply based on a false premise. The fact that "L4D2 is mostly based on L4D1" does not back up your statement that it "thus needs not as much work." in particular because there is no way you could know or prove such a thing, not working for nor knowing anyone who does work for Valve (and is also willing to break their NDA ;)).

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
That has to be the most accurate post in this thread lol. For some reason when people see the label 'valve' they loose all sense and buy whatever **** they throw at them.

Or! because we're starving for coop games with replayability, and L4D provided exactly that.
I've spent far more hours in L4D and have had far more fun in it than HL2.

And eh, I don't see the unreal news as anything surprising. Technically, UT has been shelved for several years after every release - save 2k3, and it's not a bomb that it's probably going to be either permanent or for an extended period of time after this one.

I feel the fundamental problem with UT these days is that most people want class based fpses (give or take with mmo elements like levels and unlocks) with goals that give a context nowadays. Flat-out deathmatch or CTF with 'all weapons for everyone' is seen as archaic and out of date.

I still enjoy UT3, but I don't have the time and energy to 'get into it' in terms of working on my skills and playing competitively.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I still enjoy UT3, but I don't have the time and energy to 'get into it' in terms of working on my skills and playing competitively.
I think this is a really poignant point, actually. All UT games seem to be speaking to the same people over the years, and we are all getting older. Back in 1999 I didn't have a care in the world and I could play for hours and hours. Same with 2002 and some of 2004. Over the years I've just had more and more requirements on my time, which makes it hard to really buckle down and get into anything that I can't be done with in under an hour (and to improve in any UT game requires a lot of time and effort invested). I still love the games, I just don't have time to go pr0 anymore.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I'd have to agree with this.
UT3 did absolutely nothing for me personally and I just couldn't get into it.
Add to this the GOW type styling (which I really don't like) and it was destined to collect dust soon after.
I've still got UT3 installed but only in the slim chance that I might crack open the editor at some point and tinker around but if truth be told, I'm just not interested in it anymore so an uninstall is looking very imminent.
I was thinking yesterday about the slow death of UT and just how long I'd actually stuck it out with the franchise - a hell of a lot of years - hundreds of hours dedicated to creating maps and generally supporting the product right up until the end of UT2004 era, being part of a once massive community and generally being involved at most levels so I've done my bit for Epic, generating as much interest in the game as humanly possible but they've moved on and so have I.
I've got a lot out of the game (a new career for christ's sake) and endless hours of play and creativity.
For the price I paid for the games, I think that's a pretty good return.
I'll be here when the game returns.

Lruce

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
(...)they've moved on and so have I(..)

Increible....Mappers are getting idea to abandon UT3 only because Sweeney hasn't said anything about leave the ut3 support Epic simply said that they have not plans to make another new ut "for several years" ...Is what they are saying that ut series is over? Only have said no "new ut for several years" ....

With pessimist attitudes like this you will not get to Epic to make to learn her mistakes and better ut in upcoming years...I respect you position but people like you letting to leave the game only will make the UT3 to dead so fastly. :rolleyes:

And thanks to the trolls, they made an good job not to acting with patience to see the game the more fixed possible while they are trying humanly possible to fix the game like ut2003 did with ut2k4...There isn't perfect games, and you know; if you were looking fails in games you will not have any to play and you will not enjoy in someway. It 's likely you are acting like a wretch or unhappy.

I'll keep playing all the ut series and while there are a solo person playing it whatever the ut series is I'll not say ut ( whatever you think ut, ut2k4 or ut3 ) is dead.

Cya and Thanks Epic for give us 3 UT series and the effort in patching this game ( for me is in movement and weapon balance terms the best of the series ...is a pity the serverbrowser is still abit unfinished...) and giving us a BP with Titan and so on.:tup:

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
With pessimist attitudes like this you will not get to Epic to make to learn her mistakes and better ut in upcoming years...I respect you position but people like you letting to leave the game only will make the UT3 to dead so fastly. :rolleyes:

Oh, now it is the mappers' fault... :rolleyes: ...it is simple (as Lruce stated): He moved on because the game didn't do something for him. Putting the blame on people who don't like the game is stupid... EDIT: very stupid.

Did you make a map, Sonny?

No?

I did one for UT3 (a simple one to practice) which made it to Planetunreal's news page.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
#135 wrong, they had created maps as they could mappers aren't the true guilty , the true fault is really a tiny part of the ut community man..Im saying that show to the people how leave the community only could make things worse

no Im not a mapper did you? I've not seenm your o_O

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
no Im not a mapper did you? I've not seenm your o_O

Different name. :p It was very early in the lifecycle of UT3. I already had started a second map but left it, because I had other things to do and went back to games I like more.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
I already had started a second map but left it, because I had other things to do and went back to games I like more.

Second map? mmm when do you publish send a warning post please, lol.

Are you in the Jb mod team? Im not sure that nick....

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Second map? mmm when do you publish send a warning post please, lol.

Are you in the Jb mod team? Im not sure that nick....

I had them published under a totally different nick. And the UT3 map was only a simple remake (to pratice); nothing special or good. :)

Pick the one at the bottom of the list...

http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/static.php?page=UT3Essential

My other 2 maps (also simple remakes) from UT2004 are/were remade for UT3 by other people, so I stopped making it myself.

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=674339

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=678037

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
So, aside Shadow Complex (that I really, really want), has Epic hinted the development of other new games? Like the one from People Can Fly, I mean.