UE1 - UT Best Modeler for a Beginner.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
Probably a commenly asked question...

but...

what is it?

I've decided I want to model for the old but good (great) game UT99.

I'm planning on getting either 3DS Max or Maya, as they seem to be the most common ones, with alot of tutorials on them.

So, if you reckon they are too 'advanced' just tell me what a better option would be, and tell me whether 3ds max or maya is better for UT99 Modeling just because I'm curious :D

By the way, what file format does UT99 support for models? :confused:

Thanks.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
The format that UT supports is the _a.3d & _d.3d.

Don't use the milkshape, that program is completely useless and always screws up the skin position when you export to .3d files. I have tried converting models from UT2k4 and Quake3A with milkshape and they always come out screwed up. And what is worse, you have to buy the damn thing.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
I'd say 3DS Max, It seems a little complicated at first (at least for me it did) but after a week or so of using it, it almost starts to flow together. Maya is nice too, but never was a fan of it, dunno why. Try both of them out and see what feels nicer to you, then stick with one and you will become an expert with it in no time

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
In defense of Milkshape3D, it only "screws" up UT99 model skin UVs if the edges of UV map fall outside the texture edges (eg greater than 1.0 or less than 0.0). The UT99 model format does not support the same UV map resolution as the later UT2kx model format (2 bytes per UV vertex, versus two 16bit floats). 3DS Max and Maya both cost a lot more than MS3D. If you want a free modeling program you might try Blender or XSI.

In addition to vertex animated meshes, UT also supports .psk skeletal animated models (but the code does not have the same nice animation blending options).

Last edited:

Firetaffer

May 29, 2009
Thanks for all the help, I'll probably stick with 3DS Max, since Maya just does not sound right :lol:

Anyone have any good tutorials for this? I'm 110% new to modeling and skinning, don't even know where to start :)

PS. Going to download 3DS Max Legally ;), so don't worry about the price.

PS. PS. Just in case I do not stick with it, what are Blender and XSI like?

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Anyone have any good tutorials for this? I'm 110% new to modeling and skinning, don't even know where to start :)

There were a few video tutorials floating around for ut1 modeling on 3dsmax. They have since been taken down by the web site that offered them. I'll see if it's possible to get them from elsewhere.

KaptnGraves

Jul 24, 2009
United States - Chicago , il
Maya is better for Animation pieces (built w/animation in mind)
3d Max has good game support build into it (built w/games in mind)

The game stuff can be done in Maya via plug ins just have to do some research. Both Modeling Packages are good. The biggest step is learning A modeling package once that is done than learning other suites isn't that difficult.

Last edited:

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
I use XSI. Great stuff.

I heard about a modeller called Milkshape, it looks good, is it any good?
I wouldn't use milkshape for creating models. It has very limited features in that area. Although you certainly can do modeling with it, it's limited modeling tools mean you'll be spending extra time, time that you could use to make your model look even better if you were using more sophisticated software.

Don't use the milkshape, that program is completely useless and always screws up the skin position when you export to .3d files. I have tried converting models from UT2k4 and Quake3A with milkshape and they always come out screwed up. And what is worse, you have to buy the damn thing.
Milkshape is a great tool when used for the right thing. It screws some stuff up, yes, but as a lightweight program for viewing models and converting between formats, it is outstanding. I've gotten more then my money's worth out of it.

The biggest step is learning A modeling package once that is done than learning other suites isn't that difficult.
I found it to be just the opposite, to some extent. I started modeling with XSI, but now I'm trying to learn Maya. I have found it a little difficult to transition between the two of them. I am so familiar with XSI that many of the common procedures have become somewhat instinctual. So then when I go into Maya, my instinct tells me to do what I did in XSI, but that doesn't work in Maya.

One case-in-point is simply rotating the camera around your model. in XSI, you do that by holding down the O key (O for "orbit") and then you drag the mouse around. but in Maya, you hold the alt key down. So what happens to me is I fire up Maya, instinctively press O to rotate, and nothing happens. It just takes practice to get the hang of it, though.

I think it would be easier to learn Maya coming from Max, or visa-versa. Maya and Max are more similar to each other then XSI is to either.

Last edited:

Cowlike

Feb 21, 2008
Where do you get XSI?
edit: I saw it's called softimage. I asked because meowcat said it was free but it doesn't seem to be the case, unless there was a PLE

Last edited:

Pyronious

Good morning vietn.. Unreal!
Mar 10, 2008
still need halp ? i could help you. i use 3dsmax. im soon going to make a video , wich will be a tutorial, a complete tutorial, including importing!!
modelling, skinning, animating, importing.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Just thought I should mention that CharacterFX is now freeware. This program is great to use in combination with MilkShape3d for animating all skeletal models and exporting to the Unreal Engine (all versions). It supports Inverse Kinematics for animating as well as setting joint rotation constraints. I've used it (even with my very limited animating skills) for all of my YARM mod's player and weapon animations.