Any chance at UT live?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian edge

Apr 30, 2009
There is always something to whine about :)

How is Epic not supporting the UT community? Didn't they just release a free expansion pack?

Epic released a free expansion pack because they knew the game was dead. The pack wouldn't have been successful as it was if it wasn't free. While Epic released one free pack for a dead game, iD has updated the game daily, released "6 new maps in 6 weeks", and has changed their update schedule to fit those of most tournaments. In fact, today alone, they updated the game to include more tournament features, added new awards, fixed problems with spectating, and many other things.

As for tweaks for performance, it features a "simple items" option to give weapons, ammo, health, and armor a 2d look. You can change the texture filtering, texture quality, texture compression, geometry detail, and some other things. It ran with stock settings on my old desktop with 1GB DDR2 RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon x300, and Pentium 4 3GHz processor. I think it should work just fine on most computers with hardware from the last few years, especially in Firefox. I think it's safe to say that running it in IE is worse than actually using the browser itself.

Also, Dignitas just hosted a QL tournament. There are some shoutcasted VoD on Quadv.com.

xear0

Jan 30, 2009
Quake live is a bad idea actually, I have uninstalled it later and never went back. I don't want the same to happen to UT, imagine Ads everywhere and instead of blood there would be crappy sparks. Eff yeah.

Thanks no...
And ID hardly supports Quake community, in fact ID is more closed to people than Epic is, just try asking them something and see who answers you first, mostly ID never answers.

you are so far from being right that it's laughable. No really, you should join the Apollo and do stand up routines. ID is by far the most responsive group I have EVER came across. I get emails every week about closed beta testings that ID invites members of quake-live to join so they can test new maps. If i EVER need to talk to any of the devs all I have to do is join #quakelve on quakenet and i'm good to go. Actually I've played tons of 1v1's tdm and random FFA games with the iD team tons of times while playing quakelive, that i'm just so astonished how delusional someone has to be to make a comment like that.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Releasing the bonus pack over time as segments would have gathered more people.

Free live streams and replay videos online. Arrange tournaments on public servers with prize money. Maybe with never before seen maps. Big yearly events like UnrealCon, like a world series or championship. A little something that every die-hard fan can long for.

Would UT3 for free with advertisement he a hit? That would mean a constant flow of cash from sponsors to producers. Everybody could be playing UT, UT2 or UT3 alongside Quake Live.

Why are Epic keeping a low profile and making the game as small as possible? The UT series could be so much larger.

Why not pay mappers that make excellent maps to keep them coming? Also showcasing them on the UT3 site to keep the homepage fresh and updated. It's like the game and everything around it is dead as soon as it's released.

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
So it's you guys that cry in the tags!? xD

Unreal Tournament = UT99, UT 2003, UT 2004, UT3

How else (specially when talking in a non-UT99 forum) do you want people to figure out you're speaking about the specific title rather than the franchise as a whole?

Calling it UT when it was released and the only title in the series worked, doesn't work now though.
Get over it :)
Exactly. Call a website unreal-tournament.org for example and everybody would think.. "oooh a website about the ut series"
call a site "ut2004.org" e.g and everbody knows.. this site is for ut2004. In case of sequels the first title of a series is always screwed with that stuff.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Epic doesn't seem make games because they want to, they make them to showcase the new engines.

Yeah, at least that seems to be the point of UT games these days. They don't need to be big commercialy either as they now have the Gears of War series pulling in more dollars, publicity and critical acclaim than the Unreal series ever did.

As UT4 will be coming out around the same time as UE4 does, I'll expect it to be a glorified demo of the engine. Why doesn't Epic just ship the engine in a box? It would save them some money, especialy important in these hard times.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
you are so far from being right that it's laughable. No really, you should join the Apollo and do stand up routines. ID is by far the most responsive group I have EVER came across. I get emails every week about closed beta testings that ID invites members of quake-live to join so they can test new maps. If i EVER need to talk to any of the devs all I have to do is join #quakelve on quakenet and i'm good to go. Actually I've played tons of 1v1's tdm and random FFA games with the iD team tons of times while playing quakelive, that i'm just so astonished how delusional someone has to be to make a comment like that.

Omfg.... :rolleyes:

I did not mean quake live support, but I was searching for an employee of id and asked for his contact and nobody even gave a damn about it. While if you do same at DE (they respond to anything) or Epic, they usually respond....

ID doesn't care....I have heard it from more people, so please stop being lame troll and bashing UT3 etc in every thread that exists here, thx.
If you think otherwise tell me contact to one of them so I can ask for that certain employee, it would help things a lot.

Last edited:

xear0

Jan 30, 2009
Omfg.... :rolleyes:

I did not mean quake live support, but I was searching for an employee of id and asked for his contact and nobody even gave a damn about it. While if you do same at DE (they respond to anything) or Epic, they usually respond....

ID doesn't care....I have heard it from more people, so please stop being lame troll and bashing UT3 etc in every thread that exists here, thx.
If you think otherwise tell me contact to one of them so I can ask for that certain employee, it would help things a lot.

Usually I don't give people like you a response but i'll make an exception.

#1 If you weren't talking about the quakelive support team which are devs from ID then why are we arguing?

#2 So basically by your logic if I want to get in contact with Cliff Bleszinski, and asked an epic employee for Cliff's specific contact information i'm pretty sure i'd get a slow response or won't receive it. In that case by your logic I can say, "OMG EPIC DOESN'T SUPPORT THEIR CLIENTS." You sir are a moron.

#3 How exactly did UT3 come into this topic I thought we were talking about support for quake.

#4 ID doesn't support their clients yet they HOST tournaments and quakecon every year. They also have been making adjustments to support the competitive community by making specific settings in 1v1, tdm, and CA servers for quake live.

#5 I BARELY check these forums or post. So the fact that you noticed I bashed UT3 in a thread I posted almost a year ago is pretty sad.

#6 Stop posting. The children are trying to learn and you are corrupting their minds.

Welcome to idiot island aka ignoreville.

Population: You.

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I always seem to offend people in some way. I'm sorry... I'm sorry, but the show must go on.

How about employing a person that push their product every week? Update the UT3 front page with new DLC on a weekly basis. Maybe have a weekly or monthly mapping competition with some prize money ($100-$1000) to keep things going. Small chicken feed stuff like that would mean nothing financially to a $1B company like Epic, but would be the world for a starving student fan.

Supporting clients is like preschool stuff. They are leaders and they are supposed to make people like UT3. People pay for what they like, so give the audience what they want.

I think UT3 is great as is. Debating Unreal Live is like asking for more freebies. Maybe there should be a free version of the game with advertisements?

Is there a v2.1 of the UT3 demo? I mean, how on earth are people supposed to get into UT3 if they can't try the real experience for themselves, especially when there are nothing but whiners on the forums telling you that all online servers are empty anyway. Again, a demo is something that you give away for free, but you expect people to buy the game after playing it.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Exactly. Call a website unreal-tournament.org for example and everybody would think.. "oooh a website about the ut series"
call a site "ut2004.org" e.g and everbody knows.. this site is for ut2004. In case of sequels the first title of a series is always screwed with that stuff.

Nope, it's UT, UT2003, UT2004 and UT3. If people can't figure it out, then that's their problem.:)

UT Live would be cool, but it would have to be done right and there are some good ideas here. Based on the original thread starting post, it seems this thread is in the wrong section.

#3 - also, I'll go ahead and respond to this one. UT thread in UT3 section of Unreal forum --- UT3 is bound to come up and has come up earlier in the thread also.:)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Usually I don't give people like you a response but i'll make an exception.

#1 If you weren't talking about the quakelive support team which are devs from ID then why are we arguing?

#2 So basically by your logic if I want to get in contact with Cliff Bleszinski, and asked an epic employee for Cliff's specific contact information i'm pretty sure i'd get a slow response or won't receive it. In that case by your logic I can say, "OMG EPIC DOESN'T SUPPORT THEIR CLIENTS." You sir are a moron.

#3 How exactly did UT3 come into this topic I thought we were talking about support for quake.

#4 ID doesn't support their clients yet they HOST tournaments and quakecon every year. They also have been making adjustments to support the competitive community by making specific settings in 1v1, tdm, and CA servers for quake live.

#5 I BARELY check these forums or post. So the fact that you noticed I bashed UT3 in a thread I posted almost a year ago is pretty sad.

#6 Stop posting. The children are trying to learn and you are corrupting their minds.

Welcome to idiot island aka ignoreville.

Population: You.

I asked for a certain employee who worked in Epic, went to DE and then to id, I wanted to ask him about certain old custom maps made by him, he didn't release them all, I got response from many people about him, unfortunatelly they had always old contact to him and so on...
So I didn't just ask for an email for nothing. DE even wished me good luck in contacting him etc. From id I have received no reply, wonder if they even got my email. Would help though if I knew some dev myself, so you could help me in this case if you talked to some of them, but I think those devs you talked to are the community support, not LDs, right?

It took me a lot of energy to try to contact this person and the effort stopped right at id...

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Id Software got an enormous fan base, surely they don't have the time to help everyone with everything. Surely they won't give out contact information to anyone especially regarding free stuff for competing brands. That good luck from Digital Extremes might even have been sarcastic to some degree.

Is this the right thread in the wrong forum? UT Live could be any of the games in the series brought to life in a web browser. One might argue that we basically want to see how it relates to the latest game in the series and there are no better place to debate this anyway.

I just don't like it when people start calling old as well as new games by different names. For example UT99, Quake 1, etc. It just doesn't make much sense, but that comes from people starting to call the latest version of a game UT in stead of UT3 and so on. You know, people are supposed to forget about prior versions anyway, but that can't be done when they are better to some extent.

Now, back to UT Live. So what should UT Live be? How plausible is it that Epic would develop such a thing? Is it really necessary to have it in a web browser? Would an overhaul of any game in the series do?

Quake Live doesn't even have bump maps or a high polygon count. Are most of us looking for something that is easy on the hardware? After all, Quake Live rely on 10 years old technology.

Do you want a free product with advertisement and only public servers? Are we merely looking for an old-school shooter that resemble the good old UT days?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Well, I doubt it was sarcastic anyway. However if I asked some dev specifially they could give me the current contact for him...

So, unless xear0 is lying, he could tell me what devs could answer me, from the quake live support..

Leonardo

Old fart on top the mountain.....
I have been playing Quake live mostly because it is really hard to find UT3 matches when I want to. I can't stand the movement, the weapons and the overall feel in quake. But the thing is there are ALWAYS matches available and this thing is still beta. The servers are always relative close and there are plenty of players. Plus they don't allow higher skill players to play below their skill level once they get to a certain tier. In UT3 there is a huge gap in level of players and basically very few new players end up sticking with the game it seems.

Plus Q live is completely free and browser based runs great on any computer just about.

It would be nice if they could do this for UT99. Probably all dreamin :cool:

Should this not be placed in the Off topic section? I mean he's discussing QUake live in a UT3 Section of the forum?

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Quake is old now. Quake III Arena got a lot of emphasis on speed, reaction and precision. The weaponry is also really intense. I wonder how Quake Live vs Unreal Tournament would turn out.

This is the right forum section, as long as we keep it to the latest Unreal franchise.

The first post was not perfect, so what, we strive toward perfection by group conversation. That is the point of a forum community. You are not paying attention to the rest of the posting going on in this thread, but who could blame you.

Why are people not playing Quake 4 or Quake Wars competitive? Because Quake Wars don't have Duel and Quake 4 is lacking many things that Quake III Arena have? They are basically the same, so why choose the one with the lesser graphics? Because it's more appealing to a broader audience and it's old enough to be given away for free?

I say a new version of UT with improved graphics would be great. All the engine programmers are thinking about now is UE4 and being able to sell a new world leading product. They should have a lot of spare time on their hands, since the next generation of consoles are coming around 2012. A reworked UT would rock the gaming world to it's very core. So what if sounds and textures are out of date, just redo them with modern technology to current standards. UT Live could be equally classy as Quake Live.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Now who posted the leotck is retarded tag? :mad:

Anyway UT Live is still a bad idea, if anything it is a copy of quake live idea and I don't think Epic would make such a game.
There is no real need for UT Live, if such thing happen I will be ready to burry the Unreal series underground then and wonder only one thing "why did they have to do this?"

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Maybe Epic should hire DE to overhaul UE3 and UT3 instead, or at least make some more contents.

Going back to it's roots is what many fans are looking for. Remakes bring up so many good memories.

Do the exact same thing again, but this time only better.

I have to admit that the server browser of Quake Live ain't that brilliant, but using Flash and php are great improvements compared to the old menu UI. In fact there are many things that could be better in Quake Live, but then again, it's still in beta.

Official public servers bring quality instead of quantity.

I played UT3 online a little bit and I am confused. Why are people not enjoying this? So what, I have a modern computer, if you don't, stop complaining. UI, server browser, online experience. I think it's above common standards. Oh, yes, a new computer is too much to pay for if you want to play this. My diagnosis to begin with, we need a modern version of UT so everyone can enjoy playing online. Epic Games proudly presents UT Live...

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Umm wait wait, did you say php and flash better than menu UI? I have never heard that before actually, I hate flash games in general....I like to have it installed right on PC...
But alright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.