$20,000 Killing Floor Mapping Contest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Fire up your Unreal Engines, Tripwire is ready to lay cash and prizes on the line for the best custom Killing Floor maps! Announcing: the $20,000 Killing Floor Mapping Contest

18 June 2009, Roswell, GA: Tripwire Interactive announces the "Killing Floor Grindhouse" Custom Map Making Competition with $20,000-worth of prizes. Tripwire are partnering with Nvidia and Logitech to bring you a truly spectacular mapping contest for the zombie-slaughtering co-op hit that is Killing Floor. We put the game out at a recession-friendly price, there have already been hundreds of custom maps created, so here is the Tripwire economic stimulus package to follow up: the headline prize will be an awesome $10,000 for the Grand Prize winner.

The contest will run in two Waves. Wave 1 completes July 31, 2009, with a First Prize of $5,000 for the winner, while the runners-up will get prizes including Nvidia graphics cards and Logitech goodies. Wave 2 is the Big One, completing September 18, 2009. The Grand Prize will be $10,000. Yes, a full Ten Thousand Dollars for the winning entry! There will be more Nvidia graphics cards and Logitech goodies for runners-up in Wave 2.

To find out more about the contest (including the rules), visit the web page.

Killing Floor is currently available on Steam and will soon be available in stores across the world.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Damn good reward is like it. I'm not bothered with killing floor, at all.
But this is good news for anyone else who has mapping knowledge and is owning the game.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
...but did the sell counter reach 10 yet? ;)

Ignorance at it's best. :)

It was either the top-selling game or second place after L4D for 3 weeks on Steam. Still in the top 10 and it didn't let UT3 go past when UT3 had the weekend deal.

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
...but did the sell counter reach 10 yet? ;)
This is the first week since it was available for pre-order that KF hasn't been the best selling game not on weekend sale on Steam for the past month. I'd say it's quite an achievement for a non-Valve game, even for a big budget AAA title.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
This is the first week since it was available for pre-order that KF hasn't been the best selling game not on weekend sale on Steam for the past month. I'd say it's quite an achievement for a non-Valve game, even for a big budget AAA title.

Maybe it is jealousy on his part... ...KF has over 2000 players online. A certain other game a few hunderds. ;)

Fluorescence

Feb 19, 2009
Berkshire, England
After all the work that was done for the KF mod community (for free), even when its online community towards the end had shrunk to just a few servers, Alex and his team deserved this big break, so i hope its success prospers.

hund_schraube

Sep 1, 2003
What is the link between Tripwire and Killing Floors?
ModDB: I'm sure many mod teams would like to know, how did Killing Floor strike a deal for retail?

Alex Quick: I was hanging out on RO's (Red Orchestra) IRC last October asking questions like, “how the hell do I port KF to RO guise”. Around this time Red Orchestra was the first non-valve game to host steam mods and I thought it might be a way to extend KF's life. At the time, I wasn’t feeling too optimistic about the future of the mod — the fan base was pretty small. I ran into the mighty “Rammjaeger” who (and this confused me because he was willing to talk at length to a complete stranger about random mod porting) was the president of Tripwire. Funny thing is, I was pretty dick-ish about the whole thing and I basically just dumped KF on him and let him do the entire port job for me. Thankfully, he didn’t just tell me to piss off and do it myself. I would have probably told me that. Long story short, in the process of porting he played it and showed it around the office. There was a general consensus that it was a fun mod and something they wanted to do more than port. The rest is history. Although I still wince when I think about my lazy-ass-ness. Good old 20/20 hindsight.

http://www.moddb.com/games/killing-floor/features/killing-floor-interview-alex-quick