All violent video games to be banned in Germany

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
"Violent games lower the inhibition level for real violence and spree killers always played such games before they did the crime."

Always and never are words I avoid using personally.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
The comments provide sarcastic relief.
I guess we need to ban pretty much every single game. Even Bejewelled! Crystals exploding violently, oh the humanity!

dub

Feb 12, 2002
makes total sense

"Violent games lower the inhibition level for real violence and spree killers always played such games before they did the crime."
They used mobile phones and the internet too, probably. Must remember to ban those too.
Also, violence in movies and books is totally different and much more legit.

Also, I finally have confirmation that I am super human.
I've played violent video games since I've been 8 and somehow I've managed not to get a police record, I've barely ever had fisticuffs and never gone on a killing rampage, even though I apparently should have.
I must b supa-speshul!:rockon:

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
People who go on 'video game killing sprees' are probably just doing a warmup round before the big game. It makes sense in a twisted sort of way, gets them in the right mood - but it doesn't make it the games fault.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Oh please... it's that time before elections and the traditionally conservative CDU always threatens to ban video games to appeal to the masses(in their mind).
They'll never have my vote.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Oh please... it's that time before elections and the traditionally conservative CDU always threatens to ban video games to appeal to the masses(in their mind).
Indeed and IMO they'll back down once the companies behind this multimillion dollar industry point out just how much of an income loss it'd be.

Austria and Switzerland will be laughing if this actually went through. Sales up 200% anyone?
Games like UT which get watered down in Deutschland are bought by Germans in countries like Austria who don't have these middle-age type laws as shipping costs don't vary much between these two countries.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Indeed and IMO they'll back down once the companies behind this multimillion dollar industry point out just how much of an income loss it'd be.

Well, in Germany only Crytek would suffer. Every other dev does games like Settlers or Anno. But I still doubt that anything will come from this since I've seen the same sort of news ever since I first started playing doom.

Austria and Switzerland will be laughing if this actually went through. Sales up 200% anyone?
Games like UT which get watered down in Deutschland are bought by Germans in countries like Austria who don't have these middle-age type laws as shipping costs don't vary much between these two countries.

Especially Austria. Tranfering money to Austria costs as much as transfering within Germany (= free of charge), then both countries have the euro as currency and I believe shipping is only 1 euro more expensive. So yes, Austria will be happy if this'll pass ;)
p.s. I think UT was not watered down... Unreal was :(

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Point 1:

Unreal Tournament 3 was watered down for Germany... so yes.
Point 2:

The Virginia Tech shooter didn't play violent videogames videogames.
Point 3:

The logic is all wrong...

Saying that a lot of people who commit violent crimes do X, then limiting X -- limits the ratio of people who do violent crimes owning X.

I don't care how many serial/spree killers play Unreal Tournament.

I care how many serial/spree killers exist!

And as it turns out...

Access to violent or sexual material reduces violent or violent sexual, respectively, crimes. (Article focuses on latter, but discusses the former as well)
Point 4:

Desensitization isn't a blanketing phenomenon.

Take a violent videogame player -- take an Amish kid -- take a Cow.
Gut the cow.

Who will cringe at the very least? Not the Amish kid, he'll be waiting for lunch.

Are Amish kids the type of person you would expect to go on a spree shooting?

But he's desensitized to gore oh my god my world is upside down :eek:

... Give me a break.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Eat that Germans!!
Now your doomed to play Wii sports for the rest of your lives :mad:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Meh, they rarely let many violent games in anyway so it's no big change for them.

I disagree because i personally enjoy such games but it is interesting how easily and happily we adopt the simulation of such mindless violence at times.

I think it's fair enough, people who really want such things will find a way to get access too it. From what i hear about their society they tend to have a pretty good and well rounded education system that outputs some happy well trained people so maybe it's not a terrible idea... They can keep it... but maybe it's nto so bad.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Stupid people say and do stupid things about stuff they don't understand in an attempt to appeal to the stupid masses. It will be over in 30 years when most of them died of old age (or retired).

I hereby officially promise I won't be that retarded about them damn youth corrupting rock'n'roll metal sex drugs games internet things when I grow old.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
This thread is Jack Faggotson approved. But he sooo wished this would be happening in north America.