UE1 - UT Rotating mover won't render in game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
So I have a huge rotating mover in my map, it's a hollow torus (imported brush) of radius 8192. It rotates about the center and works great except when playing in game most of it does not render - you just see right through it to the other side. I can jump around inside it and walk around inside it and feel that it is there but most of it you can see right through instead of appearing opaque like it should. Although, a few surfaces on it render correctly and look as they should most of the surfaces do not. I've tried simplifying the shape and reducing the poly count over and over but no matter how much I simplify it it doesn't help any. Is this a known issue that can be fixed? Am I simply making the mover incorrectly? If I add it as a solid shape it renders fine, just when I make it a mover it does this.

I've set the mover properties to:

Object -> InitialState: None
Movement -> Physics: PHYS_Rotating
Mover -> MoverEncroachType: IgnoreWhenEncroach
Movement -> RotationRate -> Yaw 1024
Movement -> bFixedRotationDir: True

But have messed around with these as well to try to fix it to no avail. I've tried setting it as both a regular mover with rotation and a 'RotatingMover' but neither work.

Someone please help me because the whole concept of my map depends on this working properly. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Also, if it helps, I can provide the map in question for anyone who wants to debug it.

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
The only thing that i know of that causes that is when that part is not textured. Also does it go out of the map at all? I've noticed things tend to dissapear when they go a little bit out of the map

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
The only thing that i know of that causes that is when that part is not textured. Also does it go out of the map at all? I've noticed things tend to dissapear when they go a little bit out of the map

Nope the whole thing is textured and inside the map

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
Could you provide a picture or a map itself?

Do you have other movers in your map? Several movers located closely to each other may disappear at random, especailly during online games. In any case, I wouldn't recommend using huge movers or extremely well detailed movers.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Could you provide a picture or a map itself?

Do you have other movers in your map? Several movers located closely to each other may disappear at random, especailly during online games. In any case, I wouldn't recommend using huge movers or extremely well detailed movers.

Here is a screenie:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7933/ued.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

It's from a very simplified version of the map with just a subtraction and the mover inside. The blue torus is a subtraction, and the purple torus is a hollow addition and is a rotating mover, rotating about the origin. The playerstart is inside the hollow mover, on top of a small floating platform that doesn't move, so to the player standing on the platform it looks like he is moving through the pipe. If he jumps off the platform on to the mover itself, it looks like he is standing still with the platform floating into the distance, then eventually comes all the way back around. Both toruses render just fine if I make them static additions, so it's definitely not a bsp issue, as it's only when I make the inner one move that it doesn't render.

Also the poly count is actually not that high, I did stat fps inside the map and it never goes above 150 on screen at a time. There are no other movers in the map, the one is the only one.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
From the screenshot I'd say the mover is occluded by the walls of the tube around it. The mover's center probably is in the middle of the ring, outside the world geometry.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
From the screenshot I'd say the mover is occluded by the walls of the tube around it. The mover's center probably is in the middle of the ring, outside the world geometry.

The center of the ring is at the origin of the mapping space. Both rings have their centers there, so when the inner ring rotates it never collides with the outer ring. Furthermore I've tried placing the moving ring inside a giant subtracted cube instead of another ring and I still get the same rendering problem.

Last edited by a moderator: