NVIDIA Forced Ambient Occlusion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I fail to see the great improvement over existing stuff. I mean, if that HL2 pic was an UnrealEd screenshot, I'd get it messed up with a before/after comparison of a lighting rebuild.

Tony Chartrand said:
You can expect 20 - 40% decrease in frame rates

Between that and the need for Vista/Win7.. eh I'll pass. I'll let 'em beta test it on you guys for another 6 months or so first. :D

Vista I'll get on my next system this holiday season, by then they should have some more of the bad bugs worked out. but as for nvidia and their "awesome new driver features! It makes poptarts we swear!", well we all know how those turn out.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
It's a cool idea, but you can just bake ambient occlusion into any texture right from the 3D program. I mean yes it would be slightly more accurate, but I think the power needed to do it isn't worth the trade off.

Having said that though, I'm sure it will get to a point where it doesn't hit your cpu that hard and it will be worth implementing. I think that's a few years off though.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
My Nvidia control panel just tells me: "Not supported for this application"

So, it works on 8 series cards, but not 9?

Scratch:^
installed the drivers again and now the option is there. Hooray.
However, there's no visible difference in-game as far as I can tell...

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
My Nvidia control panel just tells me: "Not supported for this application"

So, it works on 8 series cards, but not 9?

Scratch:^
installed the drivers again and now the option is there. Hooray.
However, there's no visible difference in-game as far as I can tell...

You could take some tiledshots so that we judge with our own eyes :p

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Indeed. Soon...

AO on:
[screenshot]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/ShadowDancer88/AOon.jpg[/screenshot]

AO off:
[screenshot]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c155/ShadowDancer88/noAO.jpg[/screenshot]

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Images down or what?

thx though Sijik

'dit.
Nvm that, Chrome just being Chrome

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
This is a Windows7/Vista feature only. I've also heard there may be a bug in some of the latest 19x.xx Nvidia drivers with Win7 64-bit and UT3 where it just won't work. Just thought I'd update the thread as I was reading about it today.:)

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
It kinda makes it look like UT1's baked lighting, I'm assuming that this is real-time though (and also applies to none-static objects like player characters and npc's). It's subtle and can look nice but I don't like the way it darkens some of the corners in the HL2 pictures, something about it isn't natural in a more lowpoly environment.