NVIDIA Forced Ambient Occlusion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Right, so I was just reading this article about the GTX275, and I saw that now they (the cards) have a technology that ...

Ambient Occlusion
Ambient Occlusion is an exciting new technology specific to Nvidia GPU's, it inserts shadows into games on a driver level and adds some really nice eye candy to gaming

Currently only 22 games support it, and listed was no less that UT3 :)

And no, this thread has nothing to do with Kazeo's AO, which imo is awesome

EDIT:
omg chubby fingers typo ftl :mad::mad::mad:
admin please fix!

Last edited:

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Works on 8800 cards too but I heard the performance hit is massive and it's not compatible with anti aliasing either. I haven't bothered trying it for now, I just know a friend of mine said it works great on Half Life 2 and other source engine games ;o

doogle

Aug 13, 2002
Sherwood Forest
www.doogle.co.uk
Looks like this is another Vista/Windows 7 thing as I'm on XP and don't have the option to enable it :(
Looking on the Nvidia website, the Ambient Occlusion bit is mentioned in the Vista driver but not the XP one :(

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Looks like this is another Vista/Windows 7 thing as I'm on XP and don't have the option to enable it :(
Looking on the Nvidia website, the Ambient Occlusion bit is mentioned in the Vista driver but not the XP one :(

:(

is time to move on though

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not bad, but that's for now, I'm pretty damn sure most of the games/engines will have this feature built-in in the near future.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Rask, you need to have the 185 drivers for it to show up.

I expected screenshots in this thread. :(

Maybe I'll take some later.