My Steam account has been hacked

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
fair enough.

in my opinion though, you always look out for number 1. because at the end of the day, YOU are all you can really trust. I guess just don't ever do anything to piss those guys off ;) no one knows my passwords, regardless of their relation to me, there's no reason for someone else to have to know. and once they do, blackmail is fair game!

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I agree with you though, giving out passwords is not a particularly smart thing to do, and I'll probably avoid it from this day on :)

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Just in case there was a keylogger involved: Depending on what else you do on that PC you might want to consider changing passwords for things like online banking and the like.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
You play WoW? What relam/faction?

facepalm.jpg

Still, the general moral of the story here seems to be.. What Jacks said.

Don't share private information with anyone, no matter how much you trust them.

Though, it is good that you got your account back. :)

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Proper passwords are at least eight chars long and have at least three character classes (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).

This renders at least 218,340,105,584,896 possible combinations to sort through, rather than the 8,031,810,176 that a 7-char all lower case password does.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
it's only so many permutations if you don't do stupid stuff like "Password1" or "passWord2"
bruteforce is pretty easy given the power of pc's these days.

'random' passwords sound like a good idea at first, however given that you are probably not going to remember them you will keep them somewhere ...

To be really secure you would have to change your passwords at random intervals.

People who give others their passwords for stuff like Steam deserve to have their accounts banned.
It's a shame he didn't get you banned though.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
JaFo weighs in with his vast knowledge of Steam! Wait, this should have been a tag...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
That's just mean!

it's people like that that create the opportunities for killing systems like Steam ...
but don't mind me if you don't care about how insecure a system like Steam can become.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
it's people like that that create the opportunities for killing systems like Steam ...
but don't mind me if you don't care about how insecure a system like Steam can become.
Just in case it has escaped your notice, I am firmly in the "Steam will never darken my door" camp. However, that is not the same as wishing misfortune on its users. I think you erred in expressing that wish.

Matthew 7:3 seems apposite. When it comes to information security incidents, for all of us it is only a question of when and not if.

Good practice (and I think Rambowjo has learned his lesson) can minimise the number and severity of the incidents but it can never make them go away entirely.