Map Title: Spatial Fear: Prologue v1.2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hi,

I downloaded and installed the subject title map pack in Vista Home Premium. It installed in the original Unreal Tournament, and seems to launch and work most of the time.

Even so, sometimes the games doesn't work properly. For example, sometimes the player can't crawl through a low opening, but sometimes he can! When he can't, he just gets stuck in front of the opening and can't move forward. He can move back or sideways, though.

My question is: Does this map pack work properly in Vista?

Thanks,

Freddie

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I tried Spatial Fear a few months ago and found glitch after another. The mod of full of glitches that cannot be compared with all the glitches ever seen in UT all together. I just ended up deleting the crap before I would get mad and throw away the PC out the window. I advice to do the same. :lol:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Spatial Fear is unfinished. I never had the chance to finish it for having too many annoying maps.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I actually finished it lol :lol:

There are some interesting parts, but the lame enemies etc and rather unoriginal things can put you off btw.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Hi Leo, Berserker and others,

I'm trying to stick with the game, because it's rather amazing in many ways and also the game appeals to me. The graphics and atmosphere are great! So far, I'm not turned off by it at all.

When I encounter a situation where I can't proceed, such as when a glitch prevents me from crawling through a low opening, I just ghost through the situation and continue in normal mode. So far, it's no big deal.

My biggest problem is in getting confused because of the complexity in figuring out what to do. I'm having some pretty good difficulties in that regard. Some of the strategies involved in this game surely must have evolved from the mind of a mad scientist. Just kidding. Game developers actually have great imaginations. How do they do it?

I hope I can get through this experience in one piece. Onward and upward.

Freddy

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
i also gave up playing the maps after that dumb crouching or whatever function.couldnt pass a map coz of that.
but i gotta say the content is great.all that new decos and weapons and pawns.super.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Oh jeesh, been awhile since I heard that name. I made the crazy purple level that seems like it was dropped in from a different game. Mainly because I was on a ship in the middle of the ocean when I made it. :p

That aeryopolis or how was it called, right?
It was the most unique level there...wish there were more of that.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I stopped very early in the game... it was the map where you had to descend through the elevator shaft.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
UBerserker,

Ah, descending that elevator shaft. That maneuver took me awhile to figure out. Here is how you descend the elevator shaft:

After jumping from inside the duct and landing on the top of the elevator just below the duct opening, the elevator descends a short distance before becoming jammed. Now you're situated on top of the elevator which is stuck in a very deep shaft. It's dark and you can't see the shaft bottom. However, you notice a narrow ledge running around the elevator shaft just below.

You jump from the top of the elevator to the narrow ledge. You move around the ledge and notice a dimly lit ladder to which you can jump (from the ledge to the ladder). You can move up or down the ladder. Climbing up gets you nowhere (you just came from above). So, you start descending the ladder with the idea that there must be some objective in that direction.

If you keep going, you will reach the bottom of the shaft, but there's nothing down there. No door, no hole, no nothing. It's just very dark! So you start over. It took me several attempts before I noticed a door (dimly lit) about half way down the shaft on the opposite side (of the shaft) from the ladder on which you are perched.

Looking around you notice a narrow ledge running around the elevator shaft leading to the door. You get the idea that you can jump from the ladder to that ledge. When you do that (make the jump) you can walk on the ledge to the door. You open it and continue the game from there.

Hey, it sounds simple here, but it wasn't at all that obvious when I had to do all that from scratch.

Freddy

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I stopped very early in the game... it was the map where you had to descend through the elevator shaft.

That map was when I got bored with it too, but I later decided to continue anyway.

jackrabbit

May 9, 2008
wait.. the elevator shaft to reach the science level? yeah that's extremely early in the mod.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I finished spatial fear (first version) a long time ago. Yeah, it became a little frustrating with the whole crouching thing (and the fact that you're so vulnerable). But I'm glad I didn't give in. Angelmapper's map f.e. was worth it. Very special level.

Finally I ended up installing the updated version, but never completed that one. From what I've seen the monsters showed up much earlier.

Spatial fear as a whole did look really nice. Very eerie and desolate The team had their forums right here on Beyondunreal back in 2002-2003 iirc.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
All,

I think I figured out the problem with not being able to move through low openings. The instructions in Spacial Fear state that you should use "Creeping" to lower yourself onto your belly to get into tight spaces.

Well, Options > Preferences > Controls contains no setting for "Creeping." It contains only options for "Crouch" and for "Crawl." Consequently, I was using a key for "Crouch."

Wrong! That option (Crouch) doesn't get the player low enough to get through low openings. That's the reason I was having problems getting through those openings.

I went back into Options > Preferences > Controls and set a key for "Crawl." That change fixed the problem. I now can get through low openings. That "Crawl" option enables the "Creeping" movement that I was missing. FIXED!

There is no "Creeping" bug after all. It looks as though others have made the same mistake, because of a problem with understanding the differences in the meanings of "Creeping" and "Crawling" and "Crouching." I hate it when that happens.

Freddie

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Heh, I remember getting stuck there in that first bit as well. Then I figured out there was a creeping option, and was on my way. You just don't really think about it, as most of the times in games you "merely" have the crouch bit. But spatial fear is different...

War_Master

May 27, 2005
On the first map of this mod I wasn't able to jump or dodge. In the second one I couldn't either but sometimes it will allow me to after a period of time. In the elevator map is where I had the biggest glitch which is right on the spawn area where you fall from a narrow conduit and you fall on top of another player class blocking you and preventing you from continuing.

I ghosted the other pawn to keep playing and saved the game but when I loaded my saved games I restarted on the previous maps. I tried to play it several times but the saved games always glitched by starting me right at the beginning (first map) or some previous map. I probably re-tried about 7 times and couldn't get farther than that elevator map so I gave up and deleted the mod.

I didn't have any problem with the crouching or crawling because I set the key bindings before I started playing the mod and got the idea of what they were used for right away... that's why you have to read the readmes that come with it ;)

anyways, did anybody have any of those problems with the mod?

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I didn't experience any crouching bug surprisingly. What put off me were the lame and easy enemies that had been capable of conquering the entire ship.

Once again, bad gameplay kills my enjoyment in an Unreal SP pack.

Freddie

Mar 21, 2008
Arlington, Virginia
Mister_Prophet,

I can't speak for others, because they haven't posted their in-game settings in UT Preferences. It's possible that some players have not set the proper key bindings.

However, as for my problem, I made the wrong choice in Options > Preferences > Controls by setting a key for "Crouch" to enable the "Creeping" function that Spacial Fear requires.

There is no setting to enable "Creeping," so I thought that "Crouch" would fill that requirement, as in regular UT games. I didn't know at the time that I should have set a key to enable "Crawl." The "Crawl" option enables "Creeping" in Spacial Fear.

So, after I set a key to enable "Crawl" I fixed my problem. I then could get through low openings. Preferences only has settings for "Crawl" and for "Crouch." As for me, it was a problem in understanding what the controls settings should be. I have encountered no other "controls" issues, so far.

Freddie

Last edited: