Chronicles Of Spellborn Open For Business

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The wait is over for you if you've been waiting - The Chronicles of Spellborn has officially launched in North America, and with a free two weeks of premium content, to boot.

A "freemium" title, Spellborn allows anyone to play the game for free up to a certain point, after which they can no longer progress unless they start paying a subscription fee, which starts at $14.99 a month. From now through May 7th, all newly registered players get free premium access for two weeks, which should be plenty of time to decide whether or not you want to commit your hard earned monies.

You can sign up or learn more at the official site.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I'll never understand that mentality. We subscribe to all kinds of things, magazines, music services, etc. etc. A subscription fee for an MMO is no different. How else do you expect them to maintain the servers with no advertisments or other crap? Yes, they make a profit on it and the fees could be lower. But it still pays for the servers and pays to keep the developers creating content. I guess people around here are just used to lots of freebies.

I've been playing Final Fantasy XI Online for years and I don't regret a minute of it. And before that I was saying "I dont wanna pay a fee to play a game." You'll sing a different tune if you try it (and like it).

In most cases though, I think the people saying that are just cheap.

(And have any of you tried to create an account? Just because it has "officially launched in north america" doesn't necessairly mean they won't let you create an account if you aren't from there- though it does mean thats where the servers are)

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
or...
some of us just don't play MMORPGs. When I buy games there's no telling when I'm going to get into them. Sometimes I only get round to really playing a game months after I bought it.
Also, sometimes I play a game hardcore for a few weeks and then half a year of not touching it.

There's no way I could really justify subscribing to a game when my gameplay habits are so erratic, which is a big reason I don't play subscription based MMORPGs. That and the fact that I can rarely keep my attention on someth... oh look a shiny coin.

Another reason is because I hate the feeling of "having" to play a game. It's like "now you paid you've paid for this month, you better play this god damned game young man!" - which almost turns it into a chore instead of a pleasure and it almost feels like the game is holding me at ransom :p

All the games I enjoy to play never seem to require additional monthly fees even though some require servers and maintenance of some kind, so I'm quite lucky my game taste is more towards the action side.

So me and paid subscription games just don't work

and I'm cheap.

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I kind of understand paying once for extra content but not paying repeatedly just to play. I'll never play an MMO because of the subscription fees.

And if I did, why would I pick some second-rate, no-name crap like this one that will have 0.5% of WoW's players? D:

It might be fun to play this for two weeks but how do you justify paying for continued play when 95% of the players dip out once the free period is up?

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
But with most mmo's these days being cheap to buy (or even free, in some cases), playing it for 1 month is far less costly than buying a 'regular' game.

Then there's the whole debate about whether you need to play it for more than one month to have any fun with it, but that's a matter of poor game design rather than the genre itself.
You don't have to reach endgame to have fun with most of them, just how you don't have to be a professional competitive player to have fun with an FPS. My funnest mmo times are usually the first few weeks.

And if I did, why would I pick some second-rate, no-name crap like this one that will have 0.5% of WoW's players? D:

That's assuming the quality of an mmo is directly proportional to the amount of people playing it.

Ryzom lets you compose your own skills. Eve is completely player driven. TCoS tries to emphasise real-time twitch combat. WoW has barrens chat.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
some of us just don't play MMORPGs.
That's fine. Using "wah wah monthly fee" instead of saying "I don't want to play an MMO" is what I hate. If you dont want to play the game regardless of the fee, that's different.

WoW has barrens chat.
I chuckled.

Mysterial

Feb 13, 2003
www.error691.com
I'm OK with a monthly fee as long as they don't also have the initial charge on top of it. Paying $50+ for a coaster that does nothing more than give you the "right" to pay even more money to actually play the game is ridiculous. Unfortunately, there's millions of people willing to do it :(

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
That's fine. Using "wah wah monthly fee" instead of saying "I don't want to play an MMO" is what I hate. If you dont want to play the game regardless of the fee, that's different.

I don't understand your problem with it. I mean, do your mommy and daddy pay for all of your nice things, or are you getting free government bailouts, or how is it so hard for you to understand that some people just don't want to budget another monthly bill for a game?

Is it so hard to see another point of view that you can't understand how someone may be able to swing a one-time fee hit to their entertainment budget, but doesn't want to be stuck with a recurring fee that they have to consider every month if they don't want to lose the game?

Why don't you just call everyone who doesn't buy anything they see "cheap?"

Alhanalem

Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I'm OK with a monthly fee as long as they don't also have the initial charge on top of it. Paying $50+ for a coaster that does nothing more than give you the "right" to pay even more money to actually play the game is ridiculous. Unfortunately, there's millions of people willing to do it :(
DDO costs $14.99 and includes 30 days of play. since the monthly fee is 14.99 (unless you pay for 3 or 6 months at a time), its really free game and first month not free. :p

I don't understand your problem with it. I mean, do your mommy and daddy pay for all of your nice things, or are you getting free government bailouts, or how is it so hard for you to understand that some people just don't want to budget another monthly bill for a game?
What part of not liking people refusing to play a game solely on the basis of a subscription fee has anything to do with my financial stability? I'm 25 years old and have a (not amazing) job and take care of myself, thank you very much. and I happily pay the fee for a game I enjoy playing. I find this remark of yours particularly insulting. No, I don't depend on government bailouts or "mommy and daddy."

Now if it comes down to putting food on the table vs playing the game, the game will be the first to go. But since I don't have that problem, I'll happily keep playing.

Some of the same people I see whining about a game's subscription fee are the same people with obscene monthly cellphone bills. I laugh at those people with those unlimited everything for $100 a month plans when I only shell out around $20-40 every 3 months for pay-as-you go-wireless (with unlimited double minutes, I never run out). $15 a month is peanuts compared to the nonessential things I see some people paying much larger amounts for.

Also consider that I don't buy new other games that often, somewhat as a result. $13-15 a month is no worse than buying a new non-mmo game every couple months.

Most of the people who complain about an MMO subscription fee are purely complaining on the principle. They're not complaining because they can't afford it.

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway

Is it so hard to see another point of view that you can't understand how someone may be able to swing a one-time fee hit to their entertainment budget, but doesn't want to be stuck with a recurring fee that they have to consider every month if they don't want to lose the game?

Why don't you just call everyone who doesn't buy anything they see "cheap?"

You're making it sound like the monthly fee is actually a lot.

You can play an mmo for half a year for the same price of an 8-hour singleplayer game. If you think that playing an mmo for a month or two is too much, I'm surprised you're even into gaming in the first place.

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
What part of not liking people refusing to play a game solely on the basis of a subscription fee has anything to do with my financial stability? I'm 25 years old and have a (not amazing) job and take care of myself, thank you very much. and I happily pay the fee for a game I enjoy playing. I find this remark of yours particularly insulting. No, I don't depend on government bailouts or "mommy and daddy."

Now if it comes down to putting food on the table vs playing the game, the game will be the first to go. But since I don't have that problem, I'll happily keep playing.

The part where it sounds like you don't understand working out a budget, deciding how much to devote to different things. Like, you're willing to spend X amount on gas, X on entertainment, etc. Some people simply don't want to have to figure a subscription for a game into their budget, and are unwilling to do so for any game, no matter how omgmegaawesome it is.

I would <i>like</i>, say, a nice Ipod. But the price tag just isn't worth it to me. Does that make me "cheap?" Deciding not to get something I would like because I don't like the pricing? You're calling people cheap just because they have different values than you.

Edit for your edit:

Most of the people who complain about an MMO subscription fee are purely complaining on the principle. They're not complaining because they can't afford it.

Firstly, saying "I'm not going to buy that" isn't whining. It seems people will label anything they disagree with "whining" these days. Second, it's not about whether they "can" afford it or not, it's whether they personally feel the value is worth the price.

You're making it sound like the monthly fee is actually a lot.

You can play an mmo for half a year for the same price of an 8-hour singleplayer game. If you think that playing an mmo for a month or two is too much, I'm surprised you're even into gaming in the first place.

Well, dub made a bunch of good points (which SirTahngarth ignored after he said "some of don't play MMOs").

I'll tell you that I have played Guild Wars (buy the game, free to play) on and off for three years or so. Sometimes I don't play it for a month or two at a time, sometimes I play it just a few days out of the month, sometimes I'm playing constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I'd be curious about this one but I don't like the typical model. I actually spent like 100$ for Perfect World (which is far from WoW in quality) - just because I WAS NOT forced to pay regularly. I simply decided to buy some stuff and support that model. $100 during 6 month (actually during the first three).

There are also those stories - Age of Conan, failure. Hellgate London (ok, you buy only box here IIRC), closed... I would be even willing to pay regular fees, but $15? That would have to be my only online game then. Good for WoW, EVE, ... the rest is, that it works for them. It works for Perfect World International too. I hope that CoS will be successful - because of the ppl working on it. But of course I will not support it just out of my community feeling. :) It foces me to play often or it means that I'll not enjoy the money if I play less.

Noone can compare time in MMO RPG world, it's much much slower and less action generally. It's not like playing some great singleplayer where you have good story in 10-20h. Still I wish CoS and ppl around it good start because it looks cool.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
MMOs w/o subscriptions are doomed to fail as several have recently proved.
If there was a MMO that followed the DM game model I'd find it interesting. Have an offline "story" mode (RPG) and a separate online mode (MMO). The UT series for example has a large mix of player that only play offline or only online and rarely if ever explore the other aspect.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
20090424.jpg

Cursed_Soul

Now known as Luos_83
Jan 13, 2001
dordrecht
www.vladderbeest.com

visually, (artistic wise) no mmorpg comes close.
Gameplay wise.. I dunno.. Havent played it since I left Khaeon.

And I wonder.. Will I see my work in the game,
Or did they redid/revamp it :p