Which do you think is better: UT3 or UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which is better: UT3 or UT2004

• UT3 is better

Votes: 63 52.1%
  • UT2004 is better

Votes: 58 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
I hope UT99 is reborn as a UT4 but with the Onslaught, Invasion, and Bombing Run game types, better graphics, better netcoding, and an excellent and advanced user interface and server browser. UT fans are hoping but we're not holding our breath.

KrazR

Mar 15, 2008
I guess this is way late but I'll put in my two cents even though the poll is closed.

I vote UT2004.

UT3 is a great looking game...with potential. But the way I look at the Unreal franchise is it is "Unreal"... We've always gotten upgrades. From UT to UT2003 we got better weapon effects and new movement choices. UT2004 gave us Vehicles. Drastic server improvements and the ability to easily administer servers. The community was making mods, mutators, and new gametypes every day and there are still great ones out there that many people are still playing such as TAM. The community was booming after the release of UT2004 no matter how many people were still playing the original UT. Finally after like a f'ing year of waiting Epic teams up with Midway *cough CONSOLE FAGS cough* to finish up UT3. Although it wasn't a finished product.

When it came out there was nothing but a f'ing command line to run your servers and an INI file to edit for settings (if you were an admin of either UT or UT2003/4 you know what I'm talking about). They took away movement. The pulled out our dodge jump because it gave good players an advantage? So they made the movement more...realistic (the name of the game is UNREAL).

They took away the wall dodge so that you couldn't even use it on a fall to keep from damaging yourself as if that was a huge concern... Just something else they took away from us. The took away our shield gun and downgraded us back to the stupid impact hammer. They downgraded the Lightning Gun and scrapped it also and gave us some lame excuse for a Sniper Rifle that I think looks and shoots pathetically... After all that downgrading though and taking away so they could appeal to console gamers in hopes to pull a Gears of Wars for the consoles again under the name of UT3 (which got renamed from UT2007 in the beginning and UT3 doesn't even make any sense but what the hell ever).

The one thing they gave us as an upgrade was f'ing gorgeous visuals. The game looks absolutely fantastic. I would probably even like it if they would've called it something else. Kinda like what Pontiac did to the GTO. Cool looking car but looks nothing like the original and doesn't feel anything like the original but a good car all on it's own. UT3 does look way better. But their server administering is hard as hell and it's very hard for new people to jump into it.

Development is extremely harder because of the more complex engine and lack of help content plus the extra time it takes for any kind of development so there are hardly any mods out that make it worth anything extra the way mods did for both UT and UT2003/4. Something else I should add too is when you bought certain versions of UT2004 they actually gave out an additional DVD disc. That disc was loaded down with all kinds of useful tutorials that showed you how to use UnrealED to make all the UT2004 content. Step by Step Video walk-throughs on how to build all the basics and give you an understanding of what you would need to know about it. Where was that disc when UT3 came out? Why weren't they showing us the same info on how to use UnrealEd with the new Unreal Engine? Just poor management because of their time restraints even after all of the delays they just didn't take the time they needed to get it out the way it should've been. I just don't get it. Midway rushed them into putting the game out and we all got screwed.

The majority of people that like UT3 are the people that liked UT and refused to upgrade to UT2003/4. Because it's not an upgrade to UT2004. It's an upgrade to UT with great graphics. If they would've gave us back the LG... the shield gun... The dodgejump (which btw you can get in a mutator and I think every server should have it), I might've actually voted UT3 because it would've been true to an upgrade. They should've released this game with a different name though because it doesn't stay true to what I've come to expect from the franchise which is indeed...UPGRADES... not f'ing downgrades with hardly any support.

I do however hope that it continues to get better because I don't want to be stuck playing UT2004 forever. I hope someone can successfully bring back the LG. The Dodgejump is already back thanks to a mutator but we're still lacking the shield gun (or an upgrade to the shield gun) and the wall dodging is mediocre at it's best. More people (I mean people playing UT2004 obviously) would play this game if they would've gotten what they were looking for. No one expected to be put back in the original Unreal Tournament though. I think we were all looking forward to UT2007 for a long time. Seems like about the time Midway jumped in and the name got turned into UT3 things kinda started going south.

The game is still far from a finished game but hopefully that will get fixed. It's been out for about a year and a half now and they are still working out bugs in the multiplayer interface. The volume controls are horrible for ingame menus and the overall GUI in my opinion looks cool but lacks all the functionality that UT2004 had which seemed to have way better configuration options... not just 0-5 settings. Obviously this is just my opinion but as a current UT2004 player that wishes they hadn't spent their money on the unfinished/unpolished UT3 the same day it released back in November of 2007 has seen a lot of complaints about it and through maybe 30 hours of trying to play it even as I type this still trying to maybe even get used to the downgraded game to give it a chance. Those are the things I've run into.

They do however finally have a webadmin page that someone had to actually create after they'd already released the game and I hear the linux server version is almost final (how retarded a year and half later when you could put your same UT2004 disc in a linux computer and install it straight to linux or windows) so that's some somewhat good news. I know that it's a newer engine but these guys basically designed it. Unreal Engine 3 came from the team at Epic. I would've rather they waited to release the game and delayed more times before we got what we were all dealt.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
lmao

wins prize for most wrongness compacted into a single post. And yes that orange color was sumthin sexy too, thanks for that. Well worth the superbump.

:tup:

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
As a vanilla game I like UT3 more now thanks to titan pack and patch 2.0. I would like some great mods from UT2004 though.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
UT3 takes no where near the level of skill to play as UT2004. Which is prolly one of the highest level of skill games out there.

The eye candy is nice in UT3, but can and never will be substituted for the playability and skill of the best of franchise: UT2004. I only play, instant action in UT3 when I just want to look at something different and spam a bunch of kills.

The game sucks overall - and was obviously dumed down for consoles.

My Vote went for UT2004.......................Forever!!!!\o/

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
They took away the wall dodge so that you couldn't even use it on a fall to keep from damaging yourself as if that was a huge concern... Just something else they took away from us. The took away our shield gun and downgraded us back to the stupid impact hammer. They downgraded the Lightning Gun and scrapped it also and gave us some lame excuse for a Sniper Rifle that I think looks and shoots pathetically... After all that downgrading though and taking away so they could appeal to console gamers in hopes to pull a Gears of Wars for the consoles again under the name of UT3 (which got renamed from UT2007 in the beginning and UT3 doesn't even make any sense but what the hell ever).
lol...

If they would've gave us back the LG... the shield gun... The dodgejump (which btw you can get in a mutator and I think every server should have it),
lol?

The Dodgejump is already back thanks to a mutator but we're still lacking the shield gun (or an upgrade to the shield gun) and the wall dodging is mediocre at it's best.
LOL

So I hear you like pew pew and retreat?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 takes no where near the level of skill to play as UT2004. Which is prolly one of the highest level of skill games out there.
:lol: Yes, a game that mostly amounts to the same amount of skill as clicking on the Start button requires tons of skill!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Thanks, but I don't understand your point, Brizz. Could u clarify?

Peace, Pro :)
My point is that if you asked any decent to awesome player in UT200X what skill was the most important, leaps and bounds above the others, they would all say hitscan followed by movement. Nobody would say anything about the other weapons (for the most part) because if you had okayish movement skills and great hitscan aim you wouldn't need any other skill in the game.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org

The eye candy is nice in UT3, but can and never will be substituted for the playability and skill of the best of franchise: UT2004. I only play, instant action in UT3 when I just want to look at something different and spam a bunch of kills.

The game sucks overall - and was obviously dumed down for consoles.

My Vote went for UT2004.......................Forever!!!!\o/
Prozac is wrong, for the reasons Brizz mentioned. :)

Both games do reward different things, but in a game where projectile weapons are a bit more emphasized (like UT3) movement will come first.

Even then, accuracy is still important - the guys who juggle you with rockets are going to kill you more than the guy just randomly throwing shots in your direction If anything, that takes more skill, since you have to predict your opponent's trajectory, move so that you're not in a vulnerable position, and fire so that you get as much damage as possible when you land.

Which one you like more can be up to debate, but which one is superior is always going to be biased towards which one you like.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
The original UT is still the best, probably, but UT3 is a close second. It has that "feel" of UT, just not the polish. If this game (or the expansion, if they end up making one) gets the polish like 2k4 got over 2k3, I expect a great game.

As it stands, 2k4 was fun, for about two years, and then everyone began to realize that all you needed was good hitscan aim to win and the game degenerated into a laserfight that made it horribly unfun and dull to play. Which is probably why I stuck to ONS and vehicular gametypes - a couple guys with lightning guns are, for the most part, negated in that.

I agree, but shock abuse was just as bad in vehicles gametypes, to the point where any vehicle could be effortlessly defeated by the shock. Its insane knockback on vehicles made it even harder for air vehicles to survive more than 15 seconds. Thankfully, UT3 fixed these issues.

e: Anyone that thinks UT3's gameplay was "dumbed down" for consoles is an idiot that doesn't understand the MASSIVE balance issues with 2k4. Not to mention that UT3 on the consoles is like 10% slower because the stock game is way to fast...

Last edited: