UE3 - UT3 Alpha Texture Transparency on Custom Character

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Jul 8, 2008
I am trying to figure out how to successfully apply a texture that includes an alpha channel for the parts that i want to be transparent to a custom character.

I am using the base IronG materials for my MIC, but when my texture is applied to the opacity mask it makes the entire texture see through.

I also tried creating a really basic custom material and i achieved the effect i wanted in the editor browser window on my mesh, but in game it was all black.

I have looked at all the available custom characters that are currently available, and none to my knowledge have a transparent texture applied to them.

Is it simply not possible? or how can i edit the base material that epic has created to achieve this?

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
Dont you just need to modify the texture itself?
I dont really think there is another way then altering the texture itself.
I dont know exactly which filetypes UnrealEd accepts that support transparency but i would try deleting the background of a png image that you want to be transparent.
its probaly the only way to do the job.

i never treyed this for this use i only used it for glass meshes.

Animus

bladiebladibla
Sep 24, 2004
in Manta under water
how can you disable opacity on a character if the thing that makes up the opacity is the texture?

are you really sure that its disabled by epic?
i would think they only disable the channels, who care
what textures people are gonna use?

or did they just disable the images that support transpency?

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
ok well thanks for the info guys, i wonder why they decided to disable that capability.

As with any engine you have to consider that everyone out there does not have a top of the line rig. With that said it was probably decided by Epic at the time of writing the code that this would be to expensive and they turned it off. Just to be clear Unreal can do it, it has just been disabled in the code. The same also goes for lit translucency and lit particles, Unreal can do it they just have it turned off to save on GPU power.