OnLive: April Fools or pure awesomeness?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
How could it possibly be an April Fools considering they had booths and conferences at GDC? They've even shown hardware and peripherals that have been professionally designed and everything. Seems like a lot of money and effort just for a joke. And who would be making the joke? It's not like one site is reporting it, its been all over the press. Are you saying that the entirety of gaming journalism has pulled together just to pull off the April Fools caper of the century?

On the other hand, what they're claiming is a pretty tall order, and while its a cool idea I can't imagine how they'd pull it off and have it actually work in practice. Vapourware? Possibly. April Fools? I highly, highly doubt it.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008

Well, it's not on the front page anymore, and I'm too lazy to satiate all the pms'ing nerds around here by bumping another one. Whoopdie doo.

How could it possibly be an April Fools considering they had booths and conferences at GDC? They've even shown hardware and peripherals that have been professionally designed and everything. Seems like a lot of money and effort just for a joke. And who would be making the joke? It's not like one site is reporting it, its been all over the press. Are you saying that the entirety of gaming journalism has pulled together just to pull off the April Fools caper of the century?

On the other hand, what they're claiming is a pretty tall order, and while its a cool idea I can't imagine how they'd pull it off and have it actually work in practice. Vapourware? Possibly. April Fools? I highly, highly doubt it.

Maybe. *Sniff* Maybe. But when they come out screaming "April Fools!!!!" I'll be the one laughing :D

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
What do you think? 5Mb connection enough to funnel compress HD video in real-time? I think it's a brutal April Fools, but if this turns out... :eek:

...using OnLive's new interactive video compression algorithm

I'd be interested to know how their codec works since OnLive is supposed to work with devices with low processing power.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Well, it's not on the front page anymore, and I'm too lazy to satiate all the pms'ing nerds around here by bumping another one. Whoopdie doo.

no u

anyway, they do have a demo up and running at GDC. My friend who tried it says that the lag is playable but noticable, and the visual quality is pretty sub-par - this is at an *ideal* setup, since I doubt they'd try to replicate an average household's lag at a demo booth. It won't be a replacement for people who already have a gaming rig, but rather for people who want to dabble in the latest games without investing in a monster rig or console.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Well the problem is...

1) Closed and proprietary.
2) They can choose whose games will be playable and for how long.
3) Third party content?
4) "Packet Prioritization deals with ISP" violates Net Neutrality.
5) It's pushing the videogame industry into the Cable-TV "Broadcast" model where a couple of gatekeepers decide everything... NOW... at a time when we have the most tools for independent innovation... and at a time when TV is moving away from the broadcast subscription model. (Actually, from how they describe it without saying numbers... subscribe AND THEN pay per game)

Kill it o.o

Last edited:

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
15420991_3ed9093c22_m.jpg

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
One word : Phantom

Or maybe just two : Phantom 2

;)

They are incapable of streaming HD-quality video over the internet at this time, so I seriously doubt that anything requiring interaction like games is possible at all.
Bejeweled and similar stuff ... yes
Crysis and other games that require fast reflexes ... not a chance.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
It won't be a replacement for people who already have a gaming rig, but rather for people who want to dabble in the latest games without investing in a monster rig or console.
Or maybe for nobody at all yet.

It's possible that these OnLive guys are just pimping their service with hopes of selling it to someone with the infrastructure to pull it off. IPTV like AT&T's u-verse has a limited service range but just might have the bandwidth and latency needed. Stuff like that.

And oh, speaking of sounds-too-good-to-be-true tech from the past, anyone remember Valve's Powerplay? oooooh yeah.