Betrayal Video Guide

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I admit my throat was pretty raw that night, you can actually tell at certain points where I cut in an overdub the next day and my voice sounded completely different after it had healed. lol..
I could tell. Wasn't sure if you were attempting to have it sound like two guys voicing their opinions. :p

Let us know if you need help - we gave Titans a pretty good thrashing/torture test this weekend at FragBU.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
I've got a script more or less worked out, but feel free to suggest any points you think are important, you've got me on IRC.

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
My question is, where did you find all these details? The pack came with not real documentation, that I saw.

1. Playing, lots and lots of intensive testing for around 2 weeks.
2. Source code
3. Steve Polge released some brief textual summary

Last edited:

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site

My comment was about documentation. But of course you knew that.

Anyway, I'm surprised Epic didn't send some sort of written material, given that Betrayal has a lot of detail in the implementation. Now that I know how to play, the gametype looks really interesting.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Someone at id (I don't remember exactly who) started naming the meat chunks gibs after giblets, which has a J-sound.
Being the inventor, he is the one who invented the pronunciation, which he logically chose to be identical to the original word.
And IIRC that man was John Romero. Hence why I mentioned him in my first post.

I've always pronounced it as gib but the UT2004 announcer says Jib. So I think that settles it.
Well the announcer's wrong, just like DP (who IIRC also pronounces it with a j). So there :eek:

jib-gib... excellent tutorials and I quite liked the voicing you provided, Bersy. Sounded very professional to me.
That's because you're just as high as he is! Don't do drugs! :mad::mad::mad:

Oh, and the video is good.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
And IIRC that man was John Romero. Hence why I mentioned him in my first post.

Yes, I read your post.
I had a quick look, and I see Adrian Carmack is sometimes credited for inventing the word.
Funnily I also read that he in turn credits John Romero. :)
Assuming that is an actual quote, you are right about whom to credit.

I also read that the word first appeared in Doom, specifically in the file names for the gib sprites.

Well the announcer's wrong, just like DP (who IIRC also pronounces it with a j). So there :eek:

Crap, you got me.
I only explained the logic behind my (and other people's) reasoning, giving the facts, but you effortlessly trump that with a simple: "You are wrong!".
You won the argument; nicely played.

so does this come down to personal preference, local variants or what?!

Just two posts before yours I explained in full... :shake:
Short version: "Jib" is correct; it's "G" as in "George".
However, people pronounce words however they see fit anyway, which caused the other pronunciation to rear its ugly head.

Aaanyway, I'm watching both videos again now; I still need to try the new gametypes. :)

Last edited:

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
So now the way I choose to pronounce "gib" somehow determines my qualifications / experience in UT? Geez.. get over it guys. I already explained that I would have said "gib" but I didn't, because this argument was even more likely to happen in reverse.

"Insta-what?" was even put in there as a jab at people like you.

If that's the only thing you can dwell on, I guess there is no helping you.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
:lol: You can't please everyone, Bersy. Some people don't even want to be pleased.

They just want to bitch and act like jerks. So, in a weird, twisted way, you've made their day.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
Yes, I read your post.
I disagree. :eek:

Assuming that is an actual quote, you are right about whom to credit.
No it isn't.

Crap, you got me.
I only explained the logic behind my (and other people's) reasoning, giving the facts, but you effortlessly trump that with a simple: "You are wrong!".
You won the argument; nicely played.
Yes I did. I R WINRAR! Password protect me and call me in the morning. :Poop:

Just two posts before yours I explained in full... :shake:
Short version: "Jib" is correct; it's "G" as in "George".
However, people pronounce words however they see fit anyway, which caused the other pronunciation to rear its ugly head.
You liar! You just said I was right!! :mad::mad::mad:

So now the way I choose to pronounce "gib" somehow determines my qualifications / experience in UT?
I think it's more because you're a filthy canadian ,, lol:mad:

If that's the only thing you can dwell on, I guess there is no helping you.
Well I don't want your help!! :mad::mad::mad:

They just want to bitch and act like jerks. So, in a weird, twisted way, you've made their day.
I told you to get off of the drugs. Bersy might have an excuse because he's in Switzerland and they're all stoned slackers there, but you're in America! Stop smoking the devil's dandruff in my America! :mad::mad::mad:

[23:23][23:39] Polycron: it's InstantJeeep